Dielectric grease on strut bellows to prolong life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be replacing the front struts and accessories on the Maxima.
I'm thinking of smearing dielectric grease (silicone) on the inside of the dust bellows/boots and maybe their outside too to increase their lifespan.
Good or bad?

I'd think dielectric grease wouldn't be the cheapest stuff to use, but I could be wrong. I'd think it'd just evaporate off, if it was in the sun, if it was a real grease.

Just how long does it need to last for? Am wondering if there is a need for it to outlast the strut.

Originally Posted by supton
I'd think dielectric grease wouldn't be the cheapest stuff to use, but I could be wrong. I'd think it'd just evaporate off, if it was in the sun, if it was a real grease.

Just how long does it need to last for? Am wondering if there is a need for it to outlast the strut.

I have the dielectric grease already, but I'm open to suggestions.
The bellows (OEM) cost about the same as the struts so I want the bellows to last indefinitely.

Most today are plastic or composite and last the life of the strut or even longer. Its been many years since I saw one made of natural rubber. Nothing applied would be of any benefit.

Originally Posted by Trav
Most today are plastic or composite and last the life of the strut or even longer. Its been many years since I saw one made of natural rubber. Nothing applied would be of any benefit.

This^^^^

Scott

The material they are made of is pretty durable, they are not exposed to UV which is the major cause of plastics degrading and what 303 is supposed to protect it from.

The bellows is there to sorta keep dust off the chrome parts which helps the seals. If a bellows goes kablooey just run the strut till it dies anyway.

Thanks for the replies! It seems it's a no go.
This is what the boot looks like:

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back