Too much grease on caliper brake pin?

Hi guys. I'm sorry to write badly, I don't speak English very well. I am writing to you from Spain.

I was working on the brakes on my car today. Specifically in the pins of the brake caliper.

I disassembled the pin, cleaned the interior, the pin, and the boot. And then I added this grease:
Permatex 24129 - https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24129-Silicone-Extreme-Lubricant/dp/B01L1LV9F6

I don't know if I put too much grease on it. To give you an idea, I have added 2 TIMES the amount you see in this image.

Ai5AaXg.jpg

8GywpYP.jpg

Is it too much?

What can happen if I have put a lot of grease on it?

I have slipped the pin and everything seems to be going well. I have removed the air from the boot and some excess of grease that it had. What I do notice is that inside the boot there is some vacuum when pulling the pin out. That's normal? Can you make the boot slip out of place?

I leave you some photos of how everything turned out.

UynGuJo.jpg

pyUhvSb.jpg

vcr5jLP.jpg

nF2pdmP.jpg

I only use a light coat, but you'll be just fine the way you did the job. Your method is exactly the same as mine.

Depending on your climate, this job should be done regularly. I live in the midwestern USA, so I service my caliper pins twice per year - usually with each tire rotation. Takes literally 4-5 minutes per wheel: remove, clean, lubricate, install, torque, done.

I don’t think you’ll have any problem. The best news is you made the right choice on the most important point; selecting the proper grease.

**** I did brakes the other d
Hi guys. I'm sorry to write badly, I don't speak English very well. I am writing to you from Spain.

I was working on the brakes on my car today. Specifically in the pins of the brake caliper.

I disassembled the pin, cleaned the interior, the pin, and the boot. And then I added this grease:
Permatex 24129 - https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24129-Silicone-Extreme-Lubricant/dp/B01L1LV9F6

I don't know if I put too much grease on it. To give you an idea, I have added 2 TIMES the amount you see in this image.

Ai5AaXg.jpg

8GywpYP.jpg

Is it too much?

I have slipped the pin and everything seems to be going well. I have removed the air from the boot and some excess of grease that it had. What I do notice is that inside the boot there is some vacuum when pulling the pin out. That's normal? Can you make the boot slip out of place?

UynGuJo.jpg

pyUhvSb.jpg

vcr5jLP.jpg

nF2pdmP.jpg

**** I just did brakes the other Day the little rubber boot on the end of the pin like one in the pic was ripped didn’t have a spare put everything back together without it . I hope it’s ok

I always put a lot of grease on the pins too, and have never had a problem.

Usually, if there is a lot it just squeezes out of the rubber boot, and I wipe the excess off.

So, you should be fine.

If it's too much, you wont get the pins deep enough to fit the caliper over new disc and pads.

You put more than needed though. a pea-sized amount is likely enough (let's call it half of what you put in the first picture)

I've tried most of the fancy greases and always go back to Sil-glyde. it does not dry out like the others. I dont know why they do that even the "SUPER DUPER MEGA EXTREME LAVA RATED" grease comes out like chalk on the next brake change.

**** I did brakes the other d

**** I just did brakes the other Day the little rubber boot on the end of the pin like one in the pic was ripped didn’t have a spare put everything back together without it . I hope it’s ok
You'll want to fix this. Rockauto should have your part for pennies.

I've tried most of the fancy greases and always go back to Sil-glyde. it does not dry out like the others. I dont know why they do that even the "SUPER DUPER MEGA EXTREME LAVA RATED" grease comes out like chalk on the next brake change.
I think @Trav doesnt like the permatex stuff.
I know I hate the purple permatex it turns into goo and chunks and causes issues.

Sil glyde or 100% silicone grease for me.

Ai5AaXg.jpg

8GywpYP.jpg

Is it too much?

UynGuJo.jpg

pyUhvSb.jpg

vcr5jLP.jpg

nF2pdmP.jpg
That’s enough grease for two pins. High temp grease doesn’t come off. With heat. Honestly.

Waaay too much grease for me. I put a thin coat, all around the pin and just a touch inside the boots.

I also clean out the sockets, I'll spray them full of brake clean and let them soak while I do other things, then dump it, twist up some paper towels pieces and shove it down in the socket and pull it out with a pick. Then spray again and drain, let it dry. Overkill? Well, they were clean at the factory....

Like others say, throw any can of grease with Permatex in the garbage. SylGlide or 3M silicone paste/grease is perfect.

Waaay too much grease for me. I put a thin coat, all around the pin and just a touch inside the boots.

I also clean out the sockets, I'll spray them full of brake clean and let them soak while I do other things, then dump it, twist up some paper towels pieces and shove it down in the socket and pull it out with a pick. Then spray again and drain, let it dry. Overkill? Well, they were clean at the factory....

Like others say, throw any can of grease with Permatex in the garbage. SylGlide or 3M silicone paste/grease is perfect.
I rechecked today by pulling on the boots and the boots don't come off the pin. I have also tightened the pins to the maximum towards the caliper and the grease does not come out, so I deduce that everything is fine.

Regarding the permatex products, what is the problem?

It is supposed to be a silicone based grease with ceramic particles added. It is not the purple or green permatex.

In my country (Spain) I only find silicone grease, and of dubious quality. The maximum they hold is 356 degrees fahrenheit. I don't know if it is enough for very strong or sustained braking.

Sil-glyde doesn't exist here, maybe imported. I also went to a spare parts store looking for a specific brake grease and what they wanted to give me was copper or lithium grease. Anyway... so you can see the level of professionalism.

Back