Dielectric Grease Alternative

I was taking a look at some dielectric grease and thought, “how is this different from the sil-glyde brake lubricant grease I already have?” I’ve been researching, and can’t come up with an answer. Is it safe to use the sil-glyde brake lube as dielectric grease for my headlights?

There are numerous threads about Sil Glyde here. Sil Glyde has a trace of silicone in it. It is a glycol/castor oil based lubricant that many here love as a brake lubricant. It is not a silicone di-electric. I will see if I can find an older MSDS showing this .

Here's one of the older MSDS's still showing the contents (1-5% silicone): https://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/179421/Sil-glyde

Put a bit of Sil Glyde on your palm under a faucet and watch it turn cloudy with moisture absorption.

Last edited:
I was taking a look at some dielectric grease and thought, “how is this different from the sil-glyde brake lubricant grease I already have?” I’ve been researching, and can’t come up with an answer. Is it safe to use the sil-glyde brake lube as dielectric grease for my headlights?
A 8oz container for $17, it doesn't get much better than that. Good stuff too.

Isn't that non-conductive? If so, it's not something I'd put on electrical terminals and connectors.
Please learn about dielectric grease and electrical connections. There are several threads on the subject on here plus check out the technical information from Nye Lubricants.

One almost never uses conductive grease on electrical connections. It’s a recipe for disaster. Non-conductive dielectric grease is the correct material in this application.

A 8oz container for $17, it doesn't get much better than that. Good stuff too.

I just bought a bottle of that last week, when I ran out of syl glide. Have not used it yet. Glad to know I made a good choice!
IMG_20210106_215818647.jpg

Last edited:
Please learn about dielectric grease and electrical connections. There are several threads on the subject on here plus check out the technical information from Nye Lubricants.

One almost never uses conductive grease on electrical connections. It’s a recipe for disaster. Non-conductive dielectric grease is the correct material in this application.
What about this grease specifically made for electrical contacts which the OP is asking about? https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

TRUCK, AUTOMOTIVE, AND MARINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MAINTENANCE​

• Apply a thin coat of this electrically conductive grease to mini-lamp bases before inserting into sockets.

My understanding about dielectric lube(silicone lube) is that it is not that it has anything in it to help with better electrical contact. It's just the opposite, It doesn't have anything in it to prevent good contact, is a great lube and also a very good moisture barrier.

Silicone pastes/lubes(e.g. brake lube) are similar however, they may have ingredients/chemicals in them that could prevent that wanted better electrical contact. And silicone product won't deteriorate rubbers & plastics.

Petroleum product or anti-seize products aren't the optimal products for these components however, I know tons of folks who do indeed use use them for things such as battery posts, brake sliders, electrical contacts etc.

My understanding about dielectric lube(silicone lube) is that it is not that it has anything in it to help with better electrical contact. It's just the opposite, It doesn't have anything in it to prevent good contact, is a great lube and also a very good moisture barrier.

Silicone pastes/lubes(e.g. brake lube) are similar however, they may have ingredients/chemicals in them that could prevent that wanted better electrical contact. And silicone product won't deteriorate rubbers & plastics.

Petroleum product or anti-seize products aren't the optimal products for these components however, I know tons of folks who do indeed use use them for things such as battery posts, brake sliders, electrical contacts etc.
Agree. Has nothing to do with the connection but keeps the rubber boots on spark plug wire boots from bonding to the plugs/cap and keeps moisture out of the connection.

What about this grease specifically made for electrical contacts which the OP is asking about? https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

TRUCK, AUTOMOTIVE, AND MARINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MAINTENANCE​

• Apply a thin coat of this electrically conductive grease to mini-lamp bases before inserting into sockets.
That material is used to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion, it conducts for that reason. Notice that nowhere in the literature does it say that it compensates for or substitutes for a proper metal-to-metal connection.

Except for very low current connections one would never want the current flowing through a grease. You want the current to flow through the connector as designed. A dielectric grease facilitates this connection by excluding moisture and preventing corrosion as well as lowering the insertion force when the connectors are mated and de-mated. It helps to prevent fretting.

Current actually flowing through the grease due to poor connector design or condition will cause the grease to heat up and migrate. This can cause disaster as I said above.

That material is used to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion, it conducts for that reason. Notice that nowhere in the literature does it say that it compensates for or substitutes for a proper metal-to-metal connection.

Except for very low current connections one would never want the current flowing through a grease. You want the current to flow through the connector as designed. A dielectric grease facilitates this connection by excluding moisture and preventing corrosion as well as lowering the insertion force when the connectors are mated and de-mated. It helps to prevent fretting.

Current actually flowing through the grease due to poor connector design or condition will cause the grease to heat up and migrate. This can cause disaster as I said above.
But using silicone or similar grease could act as an insulator and cause resistance if it got on the terminals and contacts. It seems like this stuff wouldn't do that and is made exactly for the purpose that OP wants as I read it.

But using silicone or similar grease could act as an insulator and cause resistance if it got on the terminals and contacts. It seems like this stuff wouldn't do that and is made exactly for the purpose that OP wants as I read it.
No it won’t. The connector still makes metal-to-metal contact, the Nye publications show that. What it does is to prevent moisture intrusion and helps to prevent sliding damage to the connectors especially if they are plated. There’s also a military study somewhere that shows the same thing. Nye used to have a really good publication devoted to this subject but they... “improved” their site and rolled some of the info into a more wide-ranging document.

You still want metal contact in the connector, not current flow though the grease. Dielectric grease does not prevent that.

No it won’t. The connector still makes metal-to-metal contact, the Nye publications show that. What it does is to prevent moisture intrusion and helps to prevent sliding damage to the connectors especially if they are plated. There’s also a military study somewhere that shows the same thing. Nye used to have a really good publication devoted to this subject but they... “improved” their site and rolled some of the info into a more wide-ranging document.

You still want metal contact in the connector, not current flow though the grease. Dielectric grease does not prevent that.

I understand that and the same goes for the NO-OX-ID stuff specifically made for stopping corrosion in lamp bases. I don't use anything myself, but if I did I would want some made specifically for the intended use, not some other product that you adapt to it.

Dielectric grease is commonly also sold as bulb grease, it is the correct product for that job. The stuff I linked to is also ideal for brake pins, it is a little more viscous and hangs in there a long time.

Back