Diehard is back. At Advance.

I remember as a teenager many moons ago I worked at the Sears repair facility in Newport Delaware and my old boss was about 65 years old.
He said, son if you ever need a battery do not buy a Diehard unless you want to get stranded... He had pure hate for them...lol

some of the AA ones look like rebadged older models they sold.
Based on my order history at AAP, this is exactly what they did. They didn't even change SKUs or something it appears.... In Nov 2017, I bought their "Platinum" H6-AGM battery. In my order history, it shows that it's a Diehard H6-AGM that I bought. It was $176 (before a $44 discount code) at the time but is now listed for $219.

And, more expensive as ever!
When SEARS was still open back in the day I would buy DIEHARD batteries.
The current battery in my truck was bought August 2017. I paid $72 + tax at Battery Warehouse for a 2 year warranty battery. When it fails I will buy another one from there.
Everything from Advance is over priced.

Our local AAP is gone. I couldn’t believe it. Next closest one is about 30-45 mins away.
This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. These stores have got to stop selling stuff at literally 2 and 3x the cost of online competitors (and Wal-Mart).

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. These stores have got to stop selling stuff at literally 2 and 3x the cost of online competitors (and Wal-Mart).
They can't afford to. There's a ton of overhead with brick and mortar stores and they just don't have the sales volume to subsidize those costs like Walmart.

Payroll
Rent
Insurance
Climate control/electrical
Theft
Data/Phone
Armored truck service
CC fees
Equipment
Furnishings
Marketing
Fuel(to deliver product to store)
Taxes etc...

You wouldn't believe how much it cost to keep an AutoZone open for just one day. It would blow your mind. AAP, O'Reilly etc are niche stores and people DO depend on them.

Some people complain about the higher prices, but have absolutely no problem being a slave to a $500 car note for 8 years, but whatever.

I looked at the diehards for my Ram and they were $170 for the cheaper one at AAP 3yr free replacement. Went to a local Battery Source store and got their battery (same cca) for $150 with 2yr free replacement 6yr pro-rate. They've been my go to lately for batteries unless I'm throwing one of the $50 walmart cheapies in something.

They can't afford to. There's a ton of overhead with brick and mortar stores and they just don't have the sales volume to subsidize those costs like Walmart.

Some people complain about the higher prices, but have absolutely no problem being a slave to a $500 car note for 8 years, but whatever.
I don't believe they have to be so grotesquely higher. 30-50% or so yeah but not 100-300%. Further, one company's victimization by rogue capitalism isn't my problem. It is the price they pay to participate.

And the question is, is that $500 note a good deal? Or are they paying $500 for a car they could have gotten for $200/mth elsewhere? Now that would be tragic.

And the question is, is that $500 note a good deal? Or are they paying $500 for a car they could have gotten for $200/mth elsewhere? Now that would be tragic.

Paying interest on a depreciating asset is never a good deal. I hate care payments and I understand they're a necessary evil for some. Good day, sir.

Paying interest on a depreciating asset is never a good deal. I hate care payments and I understand they're a necessary evil for some. Good day, sir.
If you can earn more on a finite amount of money that you pay in interest, which would be quite common given low (and zero) interest rates, it would be financially disadvantageous to not take out the loan. In this scenario, which again is quite common at the moment, the ideal financial situation would be to take out a loan, if on nothing at all, for the greatest amount possible, and invest the money in a security that pays more than the interest you're paying.

This is easier said than done, I agree. Many just don't have the financial responsibility to manage this, or may not be savvy enough to know where to earn a decent return on their money. There are other examples, such as deliberately overpaying income taxes in order to get a refund and paying for everything with cash versus using a cash rewards credit card, paid off monthly.

You have to factor in the depreciation on the vehicle, too. I can't fathom owing on something that's worth less than the principal. You have to keep the vehicle a long time for it to make any sense.

Tax refunds are a fallacy for the poor. No thanks.

Interesting this turns you on.

AAP was my go to when they did the site to store deals and 40% off promo codes.

Oil there was $$$, but they had great oil sales with filters for the longest time. They’d let me substitute a Mann filter at no extra cost. Wasn’t the max filter value something like $12-$16? I bought a whole bunch of ATF when they had it for $4 a quart.

Parts store oil sales aren’t what they used to be IMo.

Interesting this turns you on.

AAP was my go to when they did the site to store deals and 40% off promo codes.

Oil there was $$$, but they had great oil sales with filters for the longest time. They’d let me substitute a Mann filter at no extra cost. Wasn’t the max filter value something like $12-$16? I bought a whole bunch of ATF when they had it for $4 a quart.

Parts store oil sales aren’t what they used to be IMo.
Their oil prices are CRAZY. $10 more than Wal Mart per 5 quarts is common. Then the filter will be $2-3 more. Even if the filter is free you waste $5 :LOL:

And sometimes, if I have a 20% off coupon and a $5 Speed Perks reward, I might pay about the same price as online, or it might still cost more. :LOL:

Back