Diehard is back. At Advance.

And, more expensive as ever!
When SEARS was still open back in the day I would buy DIEHARD batteries.
The current battery in my truck was bought August 2017. I paid $72 + tax at Battery Warehouse for a 2 year warranty battery. When it fails I will buy another one from there.

The last time I got a DieHard battery was in October 2010. It was a WeatherHandler North Group 51 for $54.99 (I looked up my purchase pickup email). It was weird too as the Sears website said that they had either the "North" version at my local store for that price, or the "South" version for maybe $110. Both types were listed as being in stock at this store. So I just ordered the "North" version and called it a day. When I got there to pick it up I was told to just grab one of the Group 51 batteries on the shelf (I checked the date code) and that they didn't really have multiple versions. Not sure what was up with the price difference, but they said I'd paid for it and at that point they didn't care.

That thing lasted for 7+ years of absolute abuse. Occasionally I'd top off the charge with an automatic charger, but it got drained down way too many times. I have no idea how it lasted that long. I think the warrant was a 1 year full replacement and maybe a 3 year prorated replacement. The only thing the Sears website currently lists and an EP-51 at $139.99. Way more than the Deka I bought instead.

The last time I got a DieHard battery was in October 2010. It was a WeatherHandler North Group 51 for $54.99 (I looked up my purchase pickup email). It was weird too as the Sears website said that they had either the "North" version at my local store for that price, or the "South" version for maybe $110. Both types were listed as being in stock at this store. So I just ordered the "North" version and called it a day. When I got there to pick it up I was told to just grab one of the Group 51 batteries on the shelf (I checked the date code) and that they didn't really have multiple versions. Not sure what was up with the price difference, but they said I'd paid for it and at that point they didn't care.

That thing lasted for 7+ years of absolute abuse. Occasionally I'd top off the charge with an automatic charger, but it got drained down way too many times. I have no idea how it lasted that long. I think the warrant was a 1 year full replacement and maybe a 3 year prorated replacement. The only thing the Sears website currently lists and an EP-51 at $139.99. Way more than the Deka I bought instead.

Revisiting this since my memory is kind of iffy on the details. Luckily I commented on it at the time.

So that DieHard was 425 CCA rated and the prices were the same. What threw me for a loop was that it listed 7 "north" and 2 "south" even though the employee said they didn't have any kind of dual inventory. The online price was the same for both, but the in-store price was $89.99. But that thing lasted - I heard possibly because it was rated at lower CCA using different construction.

The original Diehards were awesome, these from AA seem to be just a name not related to the originals.

Last edited:
Someone bought the name ... Who makes the Diehard now or who made them before?
My last Diehard in my old Tacoma lasted 9-10 years iirc. But old cars were less demanding without fancy computer and gps, etc. drawing lots of current as soon as you open the door to get your coffee mug ...

Someone bought the name ... Who makes the Diehard now or who made them before?
My last Diehard in my old Tacoma lasted 9-10 years iirc. But old cars were less demanding without fancy computer and gps, etc. drawing lots of current as soon as you open the door to get your coffee mug ...

I believe Clarios aka JC manufacturers these AAP Diehard batteries...

You are right the name was bought by someone else... I'm drawing a blank right now on that name.

They forget have a battery with a 4 year free replacement warranty... The Platinum battery. Which I am wondering if it's the same battery as the Gold. . Just more expensive for the warranty being longer.

I believe Clarios aka JC manufacturers these AAP Diehard batteries...

You are right the name was bought by someone else... I'm drawing a blank right now on that name.
Strangely enough, Advance Auto Parts. But it's licensed back to Sears to sell.

I'd just note that the majority car batteries aren't being purchased through the manufacturer but through a marketing company. Interstate Batteries is a marketing company. They don't make anything. Sears has never made anything although they might have owned specific designs that their suppliers would make to their specs.

Is East Penn the only company that actually sells their own batteries under their own brand? The last battery I bought was a Deka. But I'm sure that the AAA branded batteries my parents got (they liked the movie delivery/installation/haul away) are also East Penn. Maybe Duracell? However, the only place I can find those around here is Batteries Plus and for a ridiculous price.

Our local AAP is gone. I couldn’t believe it. Next closest one is about 30-45 mins away.

No Carquest? We have a few AAP around here but a Carquest right in town. In the last 16 years I have bought 3 batteries from them, just fine.

Now as for the Die Hard - nice commercial! Had one or two in the 70's 80's 90's.

Most recent battery, 2017 CRV battery ded in 2019. Honda no help. Bought a Costco battery. TSTT. Wife loved the process. Car cranks quick. Loves that too.👸🦀🈴

No Carquest? We have a few AAP around here but a Carquest right in town. In the last 16 years I have bought 3 batteries from them, just fine.

Now as for the Die Hard - nice commercial! Had one or two in the 70's 80's 90's.

Most recent battery, 2017 CRV battery ded in 2019. Honda no help. Bought a Costco battery. TSTT. Wife loved the process. Car cranks quick. Loves that too.👸🦀🈴

Last I knew there was a CQ somewhat local, but it’s about as far away and more out in the middle of nowhere.

Probably nothing more than a marketing play.
I would guess the same batteries, with a different label, at a higher price.
I had to put a battery in the Mustang this year.
Advance was higher priced than NAPA, even with a discount code.
I was feeling cheap that day. I went to Costco and saved $20. over NAPA on an Interstate.

Back