torture testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
LOL at the Cobra blowing a motor racing a Corvette ZO6. Overk1ll would like that one but I can't link it because of explicit language in the video.

Meh, it happens
wink.gif

I remember the one with the Civic throwing an engine. Yes.... you read that right, not a rod, the whole freakin' engine. I laughed SO HARD!!!!

That because they are gas mizer motors,and these kids throw on a [censored] can muffler, and think they`v got a race car!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Kind of like a public service, that one.

But there really are tons of them on you tube.

Most of us can't do this, but very few of our cars could really be locked full throttle and ran for even an hour, much less 500. It's a very tough test, but few people know that 500 hours equals a lot of miles.

For instance, in my car, it could potentially be 90,000 miles!!!

I imagine it is pretty common in Euro cars......

Cruising at top speed here is around 7,000RPM. With the stock limiter in place, you'd still likely be around 6+ thousand. And there is going to be LOTS of load at that speed too.

Originally Posted By: Promo
Hm.. I think it might have had a bit more than just a muffler.
shocked.gif

I think I read somewhere that it was a clutch failure.

flywheel or clutch grenaded for sure. But it is still hilarious.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
I have heard about these wide open throttle test before. My question is why is it that when I see someone do the same thing on an old car(doesnt even have to be old) why is it that the engine usually ends up failing within 10-12 minutes? I have seen many youtube videos of this.

There's a HUGE difference between wide-open throttle into a dyno, and wide-open throttle at zero load like the stupid Youtube videos show. ANY engine that can actually be held WOT at no load is going to fail very quickly because it exceeds the design RPM limits. You can't even DO this to most modern engines because the PCM will limit the revs in neutral to a safe value- even my wife's 05 Cruiser that still has a cabled throttle cuts the fuel at ~3500, so the engine just sits there and surges harmlessly. The 08 Ram with electronic throttle stops revving up at 4000 RPM in neutral.

Here's what happens to even a brand-new engine when the dynomometer itself breaks, takes all the load off the engine, and the engine overspeeds. You can hear the dyno fail shortly after the throttle moves to full open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI

Back in the 70's in the U.K I worked for a company that had a fleet of 'Pool cars' (company cars for staff use) We very often used to have to drive on the motorway from London to Birmingham or Manchester. It was quite common to drive a Ford Cortina, Morris Marina or Vauxhall Viva (all sub 2 liter cars) literally Pedal to the metal for 1-2 hours at a time.
Never had one blow (but never wanted to buy one when they were sold off either.

did i understand that right? he stood there telling how great the Dyno and engine is. but didnt show the engine running on the dyno?
lame big time. if i got that right. iam just hoping iam wrong.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
It's cool that this new Hemi is a 'vintage/retro' displacement from the late '50s Hemis.
cool.gif

(I KNOW that the similarities end there!!
wink.gif
)

And it actually makes more power than the fabled Hemi did.

The cool thing about the new 392 engine is the table flat torque curve with huge torque on tap from like 1600 rpm!

Get to a dealer and drive one.

Originally Posted By: morris
did i understand that right? he stood there telling how great the Dyno and engine is. but didnt show the engine running on the dyno?
lame big time. if i got that right. iam just hoping iam wrong.

There's absolutely nothing to really SEE on a dyno run unless something really bad happens. I would have liked to HEAR the engine, but really the info he presented is more interesting since you can hear the engine do its thing anywhere.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
500hrs is nothing. Try full throttle for 3000hrs. Then i'll be impressed.

Who has ever done this? I have never seen a commercial anywhere doing this. Why would you bring this up?

I can tell you this as a person who grew up sweeping the floor in a local speed shop with a dyno.

If it doesn't blow up pretty quick it is unlikely to. Period.

After a couple of hours of thrashing we would install the engine in some lucky guys car. Talk about a break in!

Originally Posted By: Promo
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: expat
I would think daily use, cold starts and short runs as being harder.
Think, the engine is up to temp, coolant is at optimal temp, oil is at optimal temp wear should be minimal.
The engine is just doing what it should.
Some Diesels do this for YEARS.

I hate to bring this up, but you mean like Ford's Ecoboost test where testing includes freezing it solid, then firing it up and going WOT?

Yes, Ford put its EcoBoost engines through quite a bit more.

I would be more impressed if they wrote an article about upgrading their facility...
They "simulate" gear changes, meaning they can't change the gears. They really can't simulate much if the engine is revving freely (like when a car is in neutral) and playing with the throttle. There's more real world simulation happening at Wayne state, they're doing -30* diesel cold starts. I think that's more impressive.

Are you talking about the SRT engine, or a Ford engine? I ask because the SRT engine's rpm and load is controlled by the dyno so they can simulate a shift reasonably accurately.

I can't believe how well Ford's ad campaign has worked!

Do people here really believe only Ford does cold weather testing?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I can't believe how well Ford's ad campaign has worked!

Do people here really believe only Ford does cold weather testing?

Ford nailed it with their ads. I'd like to see some hard core soccer mom results.

I was behind a 2011 Buick Enclave while it was getting on the highway and the black cloud of exhaust from the rear of his vehicle was not very encouraging. In fact my 203,000 mile Aerostar doesn't do that. I'd love to see how that vehicle holds up for the long haul under soccer mom use.

^ Engines tend to do that the first time you go WOT after it's been driven like a grandma for a while. DI engines will carbon up faster, so it's more likely to happen. When I first got my Jeep, it blew a nasty brownish-black carbon cloud if I stomped on it. That was cured within a week
19.gif

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
^ Engines tend to do that the first time you go WOT after it's been driven like a grandma for a while. DI engines will carbon up faster, so it's more likely to happen. When I first got my Jeep, it blew a nasty brownish-black carbon cloud if I stomped on it. That was cured within a week
19.gif

I realize that, this left a cloud worse than a poor running cold diesel engine under heavy acceleration. I predict major problems down the road with a lot of these DI engines. JMO

Yep, there's the BLACK cloud which indicates a mixture issue, and the sooty brown cloud which indicates the throttle hasn't been down very far in a long time.

And it would seem that these poor DI owners are indeed going to pay a price for the tech one day. It may have a lot to do with how it's driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back