Diehard is back. At Advance.

When I lived in Chicago I'd buy Diehards and get 5-7 years out of them. That was back when only Sears sold them. Best battery I ever bought was an Interstate. Now Walmart is my battery source.

Why pay more when they are mostly made by the same company?

That was a funny video. I can’t believe they would of spent all that money on a commercial lol.
Hard to say. Can't believe any of them would act for free, but maybe they felt like stepping into the role again. Never know.

Then again maybe got paid in batteries. By the sounds of the comments here, 2 or 3 batteries might have been good pay.

I understand that AAP paid $200M for the rights to the name. I guess that they figured that, to many, that name means something. But for us BITOGers, we know better. :)

What you mean US BITOGers? You just joined BITOG today. This is your first post. Little cocky ain't we?;)
Actually, I've been a member for some time, but something in the system wasn't recognizing my user name. So I tried to create a new account with that name, but it said that it was already in use. Therefore, I had to create a new user name and password.

I'd just note that the majority car batteries aren't being purchased through the manufacturer but through a marketing company. Interstate Batteries is a marketing company. They don't make anything. Sears has never made anything although they might have owned specific designs that their suppliers would make to their specs.

Is East Penn the only company that actually sells their own batteries under their own brand? The last battery I bought was a Deka. But I'm sure that the AAA branded batteries my parents got (they liked the movie delivery/installation/haul away) are also East Penn. Maybe Duracell? However, the only place I can find those around here is Batteries Plus and for a ridiculous price.

I believe Exide and East Penn are selling their "own" labelled batteries...

Just an idea for guys in the VA, NC, SC and Ga states.....

There are the AG Supply stores which sell the Deka East Penn batteries for a fairly good price... Like $72 for a group 24f battery.... 18 month free replacement warranty. . Not a bad option... One is just south of Petersburg Va right near interstate 95. And I don't know if the one super pretty brunette lady still works there.... But wow. She is one of the prettiest brunette ladys I have ever seen.

There are the AG Supply stores which sell the Deka East Penn batteries for a fairly good price... Like $72 for a group 24f battery.... 18 month free replacement warranty. . Not a bad option... One is just south of Petersburg Va right near interstate 95. And I don't know if the one super pretty brunette lady still works there.... But wow. She is one of the prettiest brunette ladys I have ever seen.

Totally forgot about Exide. However, I thought that a lot of those are more or less exclusives that are more like private label such as NASCAR Select.

I got my Deka for $76 from Lowe's. But they're very limited in selection. They just happened to have a Group 51. And it was a pain dealing with the core return. Even with that it was the best price I could find anywhere and the battery has been rock solid. It also had a date code with the month that I ordered it.

AAP/CQ really wanted to ditch their Autocraft brand, didn't they? First they tried to make the deal with Interstate that fell through because Interstate wanted them to warranty any Interstate that was brought in even if it was purchased elsewhere... but now they got Diehard. All seems like a bunch of BS.

Duracell is East Penn...

Bunch of very effective marketing BS.

Defects side, The life of a lead acid battery is determined on how it is treated.
To a much lesser degree is the quality of its manufacturing/manufacturer.

No lead acid battery is immune from living life chronically undercharged. They are not immune to being over discharged, or overcharged or baked in an oven either. No lead acid battery is going to shine in any one of these categories, compared to another.

Keep it fully charged and relatively cool and they will last a decade.
Keep it 60% charge, regularly drain it dead as a doornail and bake it in your oven and it wont make it half way through the warranty period. this is true whether it is a 400$ Odyssey AGM, or a 50$ valuestart from chinamart.

Assume your vehicle's charging system can defy physics, as most do, vociferously, then blame the battery quality for lack of longevity, is unwise in the extreme.

But par for the course in this day and age of lookatmeism, I am such and always the victim...ism...OMG!

Actually, I've been a member for some time, but something in the system wasn't recognizing my user name. So I tried to create a new account with that name, but it said that it was already in use. Therefore, I had to create a new user name and password.
Same thing happened to me. Could not get in. Forgot how I contacted the moderator but he got me back in.

website said that they had either the "North" version at my local store for that price, or the "South" version for maybe $110. Both types were listed as being in stock at this store. So I just ordered the "North" version and called it a day. When I got there to pick it up I was told to just grab one of the Group 51 batteries on the shelf (I checked the date code) and that they didn't really have multiple versions.

We get that here too, and I have no idea if should be buying a "north" or "south" battery either.

We get that here too, and I have no idea if should be buying a "north" or "south" battery either.

I revisited this earlier and found a previous post where I indicated they were both the same price. Not sure why I picked the "north" version other than they indicated they had more in stock. I thought maybe that would mean a greater likelihood of getting a fresh battery.

I'd say north given your area... If it can get all the way down to -12°F in my area in Gloucester county in Jan 1985... It can certainly get even colder up that way.

Coldest I have actually been out in myself was in January 16 when it was -7° F pumping gas at the Exxon just east of Richmond... Thank goodness no wind was blowing. Went back home east and shoveled the sidewalk and around and behind my neighbors cars... It was near 0 there. I had my car running with good hot air and every 10 minutes I had to stop and warm my face up. Took 1 hour and a half to get all what I wanted or could get done.

Back