Die Hard Group Size H6 - Made in China?

To my knowledge, Die Hard is now just a name and nothing more. Growing up, dad always bought them - he was a Sears and Western Auto guy, with Sears first. He really liked Sears. But, I really couldn’t attest to Die Hards giving better life than the others. Odyssey is the only battery brand I’ve owned that stood obviously head and shoulders above the rest. Batteries Plus deals with East Penn, and now that I’ve discovered them here in town, they get my business.
Well lets be honest, Sears never made a battery, they were always private labeled. Now just to the absolute lowest bidder. I bought a Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM back around 2010, and back then they were made by Odyssey. Easy to ID it, exact same case design (Odyssey cases are distinct) and specifications, but instead of a red over black outer case, it was black over gray.

My son bought an AA DieHard for his truck and it died after a year. Replaced under warranty but not confidence inspiring. The old DieHard is no more. The one sold by AA is a DieHard in name only.

FWIW two days ago I bought a Everstart brand H6 sized AGM battery from Walmart and I was surprised to see that it said that it was made in Germany!

FWIW two days ago I bought a Everstart brand H6 sized AGM battery from Walmart and I was surprised to see that it said that it was made in Germany!
There is a thread discussing this. Walmart, AC Delco and Interstate AGMs are all coming from the same supplier, suspected to be Varta. They all have the same unusually shaped "made in Germany" sticker.

Attachments

• AC Delco.jpg
    AC Delco.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 13
  • C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 13
  • interstate german.jpg
    interstate german.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
DieHard I think till the 90s was made by Delco Remy….a rebadge of the Delco Freedom as a recall…

I'm finding that they were made by Globe-Union and then Johnson Controls after JC bought Globe-Union until about 1994, when Sears switched to Exide and then switched back to Johnson Controls. There was a lawsuit about their switch to Exide, I believe Sears sued Exide because the batteries had a high defect rate.

Back