Die Hard Group Size H6 - Made in China?

My 91 year old dad called me this past Saturday, said his truck would not start. Had him try it again and it just clicked. A 2016 Canyon with the V6. So I ordered a Die Hard online from AA for $170.00. $20.00 core charge and $13.00 tax. Anyhow, installation was a breeze, but best I can remember, a label on the top of the battery said... "Made in China". I'm going back over there at noon today and snap a picture and post it back here.

Not sure if this is a new supplier. One thing I noticed is that there was not the big "Die Hard" label on the side of the battery. Only the top of the battery had a Die Hard label. Kinda disappointed a high end battery is a made in China. I'm sure size H6 is very popular so maybe this part was outsourced?

I called the AA where I purchased the Die Hard and the gal checked the other stock and there was indeed a Made in China sticker on the other H6's. sigh.... So I guess I'll not make a special trip to get a photo, but will later in the week.

Get a Napa battery they are still made by Eastern Penn. the Legend premium is like the original Die Hard Gold with a different label. Great batteries and cheaper than the Chicom crap AA is peddling after they bought the Die Hard name.
Really didn't have time to research. It was late Saturday and needed one yesterday. But I'm replacing the one in my truck proactively. Will check into a group size H8 at NAPA. The H8 at AA is $220.00 o_O

Really didn't have time to research. It was late Saturday and needed one yesterday. But I'm replacing the one in my truck proactively. Will check into a group size H8 at NAPA. The H8 at AA is $220.00 o_O
Check Walmart too... The Everstart batteries where the serial number starts with EP are also made by East Penn. I know they use regional suppliers at Walmart, so YMMV, but we are both on the east coast so it's probably worth a look. $130. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...attery-Group-Size-H8-12-Volt-900-CCA/16782659

Check Walmart too... The Everstart batteries where the serial number starts with EP are also made by East Penn. I know they use regional suppliers at Walmart, so YMMV, but we are both on the east coast so it's probably worth a look. $130. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...attery-Group-Size-H8-12-Volt-900-CCA/16782659
Bought an H6 at Walmart last week. It was $119.99 and made by East Penn. AAP no longer allows you to use discount codes om batteries. Guess they need to recoup the $200M that they paid for the rights to the DieHard name.

^This. Advance and AZ are the worst places to buy batteries price wise. They know you probably won't go elsewhere once you're there, so they charge exorbitant prices.
Not just batteries, but about everything from those big three auto parts chains are way overpriced. Stuff like motor oil, anti freeze, filters, wax, bulbs, you name it can be had for a lot less at WM. Had it been my truck I would have shopped around, but this was something I needed right away.

^This. Advance and AZ are the worst places to buy batteries price wise. They know you probably won't go elsewhere once you're there, so they charge exorbitant prices.
When my battery died at Mammoth mountain, for the return home drive.... the closest place to get a battery was a AZ (or O'Reilly's) in the next "big" town. The closest walmart was over 100 miles away.... so I don't mind the higher prices, if there is more AZ's around for emergencies during the ski trips.

(fortunately, it was year 2 of the 3+2 year warranty)

Why not get a jump to drive home and replace then?
Because...after the initial jump (thanks to portable jumpstarter I have in the car), after driving about 30 minutes around the area, I gassed up,... and lo and behold... I needed to jump the car again.

That became a more urgent issue.

Because...after the initial jump (thanks to portable jumpstarter I have in the car), after driving about 30 minutes around the area, I gassed up,... and lo and behold... I needed to jump the car again.

That became a more urgent issue.
Just means the battery can't hold a charge. As long as the alternator is working you could drive indefinitely like that.

Just means the battery can't hold a charge. As long as the alternator is working you could drive indefinitely like that.
Until I run out of gas (which I had 1/4 tank at that time) and need to gas up, hence my urgency.

Plus, the part you missed, is I already have a AZ battery in there under warranty (the 3 year full replacement portion of the 5 year warranty). So getting the battery replaced at the next "big" town was a logical choice.

Maybe next time, I get a NAPA battery as Trav suggested, as in the town of Mammoth lakes, the gas station where I had to jump my car again also included a NAPA parts store (and saw a MDX getting a new battery)

Until I run out of gas (which I had 1/4 tank at that time) and need to gas up, hence my urgency.

Plus, the part you missed, is I already have a AZ battery in there under warranty (the 3 year full replacement portion of the 5 year warranty). So getting the battery replaced at the next "big" town was a logical choice.
Well, I didn't miss it, you never clearly mentioned it. :LOL: And what does gassing up have to do with it? Just leave the car running.

Well, I didn't miss it, you never clearly mentioned it. :LOL: And what does gassing up have to do with it? Just leave the car running.
If I left it running, I wouldn’t be able to realize the urgency of replacing the battery

plus, post 11 said I was in year 2 of the warranty

To my knowledge, Die Hard is now just a name and nothing more. Growing up, dad always bought them - he was a Sears and Western Auto guy, with Sears first. He really liked Sears. But, I really couldn’t attest to Die Hards giving better life than the others. Odyssey is the only battery brand I’ve owned that stood obviously head and shoulders above the rest. Batteries Plus deals with East Penn, and now that I’ve discovered them here in town, they get my business.

Here is the top of the battery I was sold. The Made in China label is under the bracket. I stopped by the AA store where purchased and there were others wit the same sticker. Although those had the big Die Hard label on the side, so perhaps they just did not sticker this one.

Other than that battery looks and works fine. This one is not an AGM, and does not appear to have removable cell caps. Best I can tell it is sealed. Letting this go now. Hopefully it will last at least five years.

dhbattery.jpg

I know your not supposed to add gas to an idling vehicle, but in this instance I would consider doing it.

Back