Did They Really Change My Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Red91
Why do you guys entertain these threads? It's a single picture of a paper towel with something on it, claiming to be oil. This is the op's first post to the forum, and they joined in November 2019.

Screams troll to me, but here we have three pages of replies telling the op that their oil didn't get changed.

All we have is a paper towel and an anecdotal tale of a shop not doing their job, yet y'all pile on like flies on waste.

Come on....

Well that's a fine howdy welcome to a new BITOG member, calling them a troll and all. It's not like he showed a pic of TP with you know what on it.

Why not take a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone. Look at it to see if viscosity is correct as well as chemical make-up. If wrong bring it to there attention as tech could have kept your oil for him.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Why not take a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone. Look at it to see if viscosity is correct as well as chemical make-up. If wrong bring it to there attention as tech could have kept your oil for him.

It'd be cheaper and less time consuming to just change the oil than to send a sample to Blackstone

I changed the oil in my parents '17 Traverse, and it was nearly black again after checking the oil. It is direct injection though, but I have seen the oil turn dark quick on many GM products.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The OP hasn't been back since his one and only post.

I suspect you have all been played.

Why are all the dates on that post dated with 11/23/19 todays date?

Originally Posted by Red91
Why do you guys entertain these threads? It's a single picture of a paper towel with something on it, claiming to be oil. This is the op's first post to the forum, and they joined in November 2019.

Screams troll to me, but here we have three pages of replies telling the op that their oil didn't get changed.

All we have is a paper towel and an anecdotal tale of a shop not doing their job, yet y'all pile on like flies on waste.

Come on....

Some of you are fast to accuse others of being a troll.
What constitutes being a troll to you, someone with less than 2800 posts who doesn't live in Alabama?

Confucius say, He who accuse man of being a troll, is a troll.
banana2.gif

I think the guy has a legit question. I've wondered if my oil had been changed several times before I started doing it myself. That's why most of us got into DIY maintenance in the first place. I could also see it being a first post because he was likely looking for expert advice and found us instead. (not talking about the real expert members) I found the board in a similar way.

OK, since I just did an oil change yesterday maybe this might help. I have 19,750 miles on my '15 Sienna and the old Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30 with about 10,000 miles was drained and refilled with Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30. On a white napkin, the left blot is old oil. The middle is new oil from engine with around 20 miles. The right blot is virgin Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30.

Based on visually inspection alone and no scientific methods since only the mechanic knows what was done...I would agree the oil appears to have been changed but not a great job draining and a lot of residual was left behind IMHO. I let my van drain for two hours as I did other things before I refilled.

Hopefully my pic is uploaded properly.

m1 AFE.jpg

I think they did not change it. I always have the hardest time reading the dipstick after an oil & filter change due to the oil being so clean. That oil on the towel does not look very clean.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
^^^^ Now that's Bitog for you. Need a similar paper towel/napkin oil use blotter for comparison and someone whips it out.
thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif

That's because paper towels and napkins don't lie. You may not speak Chinese, but we all can read napkin.

OK! I am the original poster on this and didn't realize it would cause so much controversy. To "Red91", I am NOT A GD TROLL. "TheLawnRanger" summed it up perfectly. This is the first time this has happened to me and I was looking for some expert advise. For the last 30 years I have changed my own oil about 90% of the time. The only reason I didn't this time is because I have been having health problems and just didn't feel like it. I called my local tire/oil shop and they said it would only be $15 for the labor so I said what the heck. By looking at the filter and drain plug I can't come to any conclusions. The filter is the same brand (AC Delco) and part number and it fits up high and tight behind the engine so the outside really doesn't get dirty. I also can't see any evidence one way or the other on the drain plug. Some said to look at the dipstick. I went back and looked but comparing it to the other pics people posted is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. My dipstick is black. You can't tell anything about the color of oil on the dipstick. All your can see is where the oil is at on it. Some people said send a sample in but that costs as much changing it again (or for the first time who knows). I haven't decided whether to take it back to the shop or not. If I take it Monday, I mean, what is the mechanic going to say...oh no I didn't change your oil just pull it back in? So I guess I'm still at square one. Seems like taking a vote shows somewhere around half say it was changed and half say no. The one thing that I do know is this: If I have it changed by someone again here is what I'm going to do. Before going to the shop I'm going to wipe the dipstick on a paper towel and put it in the glove box. On the new filter I'm going to use a sharpie and make a distinctive mark. When I get to the shop I'm going to loosen the oil fill cap about half a turn. Then when they are done I going to wipe the dipstick on the same paper towel before I leave and compare. Then I will check the oil fill cap. And probably ask for the freaking empty oil jug back. What do you think???

Originally Posted by ccs368
OK, since I just did an oil change yesterday maybe this might help. I have 19,750 miles on my '15 Sienna and the old Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30 with about 10,000 miles was drained and refilled with Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30. On a white napkin, the left blot is old oil. The middle is new oil from engine with around 20 miles. The right blot is virgin Mobil 1 AFE 5w-30.

Based on visually inspection alone and no scientific methods since only the mechanic knows what was done...I would agree the oil appears to have been changed but not a great job draining and a lot of residual was left behind IMHO. I let my van drain for two hours as I did other things before I refilled.

Hopefully my pic is uploaded properly.

Tell em to let it drain for two hours and report back with their response. Fast in, fast out. Oil left behind. Nobigdeal.

Originally Posted by hunter9296
OK! I am the original poster on this and didn't realize it would cause so much controversy. To "Red91", I am NOT A GD TROLL. "TheLawnRanger" summed it up perfectly. This is the first time this has happened to me and I was looking for some expert advise. For the last 30 years I have changed my own oil about 90% of the time. The only reason I didn't this time is because I have been having health problems and just didn't feel like it. I called my local tire/oil shop and they said it would only be $15 for the labor so I said what the heck. By looking at the filter and drain plug I can't come to any conclusions. The filter is the same brand (AC Delco) and part number and it fits up high and tight behind the engine so the outside really doesn't get dirty. I also can't see any evidence one way or the other on the drain plug. Some said to look at the dipstick. I went back and looked but comparing it to the other pics people posted is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. My dipstick is black. You can't tell anything about the color of oil on the dipstick. All your can see is where the oil is at on it. Some people said send a sample in but that costs as much changing it again (or for the first time who knows). I haven't decided whether to take it back to the shop or not. If I take it Monday, I mean, what is the mechanic going to say...oh no I didn't change your oil just pull it back in? So I guess I'm still at square one. Seems like taking a vote shows somewhere around half say it was changed and half say no. The one thing that I do know is this: If I have it changed by someone again here is what I'm going to do. Before going to the shop I'm going to wipe the dipstick on a paper towel and put it in the glove box. On the new filter I'm going to use a sharpie and make a distinctive mark. When I get to the shop I'm going to loosen the oil fill cap about half a turn. Then when they are done I going to wipe the dipstick on the same paper towel before I leave and compare. Then I will check the oil fill cap. And probably ask for the freaking empty oil jug back. What do you think???

This has become one of those posts where I am sure everyone can share their life's event(s) in this subject matter. All the precautions you mentioned was exactly what I did with my brand new '01 Harley-Davidson Fatboy when back then...you walked out of the showroom paying MSRP and doesn't even guarantee you got the exact color choice. At 1K, dealer said bring back and oil change is free. For some reason I don't know why but I marked the oil filter in a place where only I would notice it. I cleaned the bike prior to delivering and told them not to do complimentary wash. I didn't do a pre blot test which is a great idea or used torque seal (common on planes to visually inspect for fasteners loosening or have been removed) on the drain plug.

Nevertheless, I trailer'd it back at night with my buddy and holy $#%**^, they didn't change anything but 25 more miles on my odometer and a hand washed water spotted condition! I called owner and got back "we don't take short cuts blah blah blah". I went up the corporate ladder to the district regional sales manager in Milwaukee and even threatened to go to his boss until this was settled. They couldn't believe or understand I told them the mark left on the filter is still there and the mechanic did [censored] but took my bike for a joy ride.

I ask what would the hundreds of BITOG members do that read this post if you caught a shop failing to do an oil change whether it was intentional or by mistake and you had PROOF! I kept my head cool after several voice mails to corporate and got what I wanted which was a case of oil and filter shipped to my house. I didn't destroy their reputation but being an engineer and resources to totally make their life miserable...I got my oil and never did business with them again and because of that broke any relationship with this dealer and the typical $$$ that customers spend on top of that with them. I still have the original filter today as a memory.

I really understand OP concern because it happened to me and the only time I ever let a shop do an oil change for anything I owned in 35 years...I got burnt. And this also happened when my wife took her Corolla for oil change and they drained the tranny instead!!! So in my experience I am not going to go 3 for 3 and waiting for my 9 yr old to mature so I can groom him. No kidding.

Suddenly, all of the members who accused the OP of being a troll have mysteriously disappeared.

I have a question for the OP. In addition to your post change oil having a dirty appearance, was the oil level significantly above the "full" mark? I think alot of lube places do a minimal drain or extraction then they refill with the specified amount of oil. This leaves you with an overfill of not quite new looking oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back