Did Dealer use 0-30 instead of specified 0-20 (508) ?

Edited to add: Checked oil last evening and its not green.

Rode up to Audi this morn: Svc Tech looked nr up and said its 0-20. Asked him why that nr is diff than one on qt. cans; he said he thought it was because it was bulk. Suggested I go talk to parts guy. I did and he said it was a bulk parts nr for 0-20 and they were diff nrs on qt cans.
I'll have to accept their word for it, but am still uneasy. At any rate, will change it out at 5K with 508.
The oil is good for more than 5K. Don't worry about it any longer. Its not like you went to Jiffy lube and they put regen PZ 5W30 weasle wee in there.

I thought all approved VAG oil was dyed - but you wont see the green hue on the DS or used.
It should have a UV florescent tracer also - other VW fanatics correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe brig a few drops on a paper towel into the bedroom and hold it under the Frampton Comes Alive poster and KISS posters black lights

The oil is good for more than 5K. Don't worry about it any longer. Its not like you went to Jiffy lube and they put regen PZ 5W30 weasle wee in there.

I thought all approved VAG oil was dyed - but you wont see the green hue on the DS or used.
It should have a UV florescent tracer also - other VW fanatics correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe brig a few drops on a paper towel into the bedroom and hold it under the Frampton Comes Alive poster and KISS posters black lights
Just all approved 508.00/509.00 oil has the green marker

The OP is only concerned because he can't get a straight answer from the dealership

Our bulk 508/509 comes direct from Shell, it is not ordered through the VAG parts system so the parts dept can give it any part number they like. Its just like tyres, you could order through etka/ parts500 but you will pay a minimum 50% premium rather that using one of the approved nationwide sellers.

If I’m doing a warranty repair I use the bottled stuff so it’s getting the right part number on the claim.

I find the green tint once the oil is in the engine doesn’t last long at all. Cars that are on 19,000 mile changes loose the tint as soon as the oil goes in, it’s nearly as bad as putting new oil in a Diesel engine it goes black straight away.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it.

OK, allow me to correct you. The VW 508 00 and 509 00 specifications require the oil to be green - it is written right in the spec document. No other VW engine oil specifications require this - the intention is to help prevent misapplication of the lower HTHS 0W-20 oil to older cars that can not take it. There is no UV dye but there is a zirconium marker that is also a requirement - this is to help determine what oil was or wasn't in an engine should anything go wrong.

Further, as discussed elsewhere, the 508 00 and 509 00 specifications are for service fill - this being oil used for oil change and top up in workshops or at home. The equivalent factory fill oil has to meet a different specification which does not demand the dye or marker, because they control which oil goes into which engine on the production line.

Where are you getting its not a 0w20 508 oil.,
The way I read it?

G-E52-577-S0
part number is the bulk part number
for

Full Synthetic Engine Oil (0W-20) - 1 Liter - Audi (G-E52-577-1L-DSP​

Funny how the dye used is actually blue. It turns green in amber (yellow) oil. It's often referred to as VW blue oil. And it is available in bulk drums ;).

The "marker" used is vanadium and shows up in UOAs

FWIW on some of the part people groups on FB, German brand parts people have been saying that 0W20 has been on backorder. We aren't having the issue in Ford/Mazda land, ours is 5W40 diesel and the 5W30 F-150 diesel oil.

Edited to add: Checked oil last evening and its not green.

Rode up to Audi this morn: Svc Tech looked nr up and said its 0-20. Asked him why that nr is diff than one on qt. cans; he said he thought it was because it was bulk. Suggested I go talk to parts guy. I did and he said it was a bulk parts nr for 0-20 and they were diff nrs on qt cans.
I'll have to accept their word for it, but am still uneasy. At any rate, will change it out at 5K with 508.
Why are you uneasy again? They probably gave you a better oil that 0w20 508 and your still upset? Again as noted by someone else already, you didn’t take the car to Jiffy Lube. One way or another you got a good quality oil with most likely a 504/507 spec.

VW508.00 isn't an oil that is available in 55 gallon drums yet.

Plus, the way VW part numbers work for oil is usually the last couple of digits indicate the container size.

GE600201QDSP
GE52577, then S0 (container size0.

all the GE's seem to be Mobil produced oil.
DSP in vw part number stands for "DROP SHIP PROGRAM" cause its comes directly drop shipped from the manufacturer. i know cause i order it for my dealership

1_SVbnAtQsMcDPNaJJgUH7oA.jpeg

Dealer recently did oil change and put the following in my '20 Audi Q3 which calls for 0w-20 508: G-E52-577-S0.
According to an online seller, this oil is 0w-30. I'm doubtful it is correct oil and intend to follow up with a visit as soon as possible,
but for now, can anyone verify what the weight of the above is?
The engine wouldn't even notice if you put in M1 0-40.

I googled it and it's 0W20, so not sure what the issue really is? the real concern is if they even did the work lol (nowadays margins are razor thin, cars are usually leased, lube techs are entry level, all adds up to a potential issue). I've caught a dealer not doing the oil change red handed.

Back