Did Dealer use 0-30 instead of specified 0-20 (508) ?

When you look at it on the dipstick, is there a green tint? (wipe some on a paper towel)

It's possible the tech put in the correct oil but the service writer put the wrong oil on the invoice.

You are right! Then what is the world is G-E52-577-S0, which is what they put in my car? 0-40/5-40??
It's not 5w40.

1546891_x800.webp

You're going to have to go to the dealership and ask.

Another possibility is the number they use to bill it out from the bulk tank is not the same number as the quart jugs.
VW508.00 isn't an oil that is available in 55 gallon drums yet.

Plus, the way VW part numbers work for oil is usually the last couple of digits indicate the container size.

GE600201QDSP
GE52577, then S0 (container size0.

all the GE's seem to be Mobil produced oil.

It's possible the tech put in the correct oil but the service writer put the wrong oil on the invoice.

I went through this on the first free OC on the GMC with 2 service writers disagreeing with each other. Documented on paper always takes precedence over word of mouth. Getting it wrong with no harm is still getting it wrong. How do you trust them next time?

It isn’t difficult for a dealer to list correct part numbers on the invoice. If it’s wrong on the invoice it’s probably wrong on the vehicle. Never take their word for it.

It isn’t difficult for a dealer to list correct part numbers on the invoice. If it’s wrong on the invoice it’s probably wrong on the vehicle. Never take their word for it.

Hence why I asked if the oil was green.

They can always re-do an invoice, which is a lot easier and faster than doing another oil change.

Found this on Blauparts site:
"VW 508 00 specification engine oil cross references to OEM part numbers G E52 577 1L DSP, G 052 577 M2, G 052 577 M4, and G 052 577 M 6."

The G 052 577 part of the numbers are same as what they said was put in the Audi.

Curiouser and curiouser..........

Will check to see if it has any green color when wife gets home later. Doubt it as its been a thousand or more miles put on.

Edited to add: Checked oil last evening and its not green.

Found this on Blauparts site:
"VW 508 00 specification engine oil cross references to OEM part numbers G E52 577 1L DSP, G 052 577 M2, G 052 577 M4, and G 052 577 M 6."

The G 052 577 part of the numbers are same as what they said was put in the Audi.

Curiouser and curiouser..........

Will check to see if it has any green color when wife gets home later. Doubt it as its been a thousand or more miles put on.
Rode up to Audi this morn: Svc Tech looked nr up and said its 0-20. Asked him why that nr is diff than one on qt. cans; he said he thought it was because it was bulk. Suggested I go talk to parts guy. I did and he said it was a bulk parts nr for 0-20 and they were diff nrs on qt cans.
I'll have to accept their word for it, but am still uneasy. At any rate, will change it out at 5K with 508.

Rode up to Audi this morn: Svc Tech looked nr up and said its 0-20. Asked him why that nr is diff than one on qt. cans; he said he thought it was because it was bulk. Suggested I go talk to parts guy. I did and he said it was a bulk parts nr for 0-20 and they were diff nrs on qt cans.
I'll have to accept their word for it, but am still uneasy. At any rate, will change it out at 5K with 508.
What are you uneasy about?

Comment above that 508 does not come in bulk. An online dealer said it 0-30. My general distrust of large dealerships.

Maybe not available through the Audi parts dept but they could be buying somewhere else. They are not obligated to buy the oil from the (vehicle) manufacturer, just as long as they are using oil that meets the spec.

In any case you will be just fine, no need to be concerned.

Back