Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every diet needs a balance. Meat provides a good source of protein which is essential for everyday nutrition. Excess of anything is bad.

A great meal for diabetics would be a small steak with roasted vegetables (minus the potatoes) along with a salad.

Speaking of micronutrients, I have long believed most overweight people are such because they eat processed foods that lack them.
Your body craves micronutrients and if you don't get them, many people will eat more in search of them. Some believe your gut is your second brain.

There are two types of diabetes 1 and 2. My wife has type 1 diabetes. She is 5'8.5" and 121 pounds and wears size 2 jeans.
Some people cant believe she has diabetes because many associate diabetes with being overweight.
My wife makes no insulin while type 2 diabetics don't make enough. Most type 2 diabetics are overweight, but not all.

Because of my wifes strict diet I eat very healthy and never feel hungry. Sometimes I'd rather eat something else, but.. .

Originally Posted by PimTac
Every diet needs a balance. Meat provides a good source of protein which is essential for everyday nutrition. Excess of anything is bad.

A great meal for diabetics would be a small steak with roasted vegetables (minus the potatoes) along with a salad.

+1

except a large percentage of the world gets by just fine with no meat.....

That's good advice.

Remember that excess fats convert to keytones which can be damaging to the liver and kidneys. Saturated fats are the least beneficial with regard to blood glucose levels. For that reason, it's often suggested that lean steaks/burgers are a better choice. Note: choosing better forms of fat result in somewhat lower A1C.

Also, cooking starchy vegetables increases their "glycemic index" A raw carrot may be a 15-20 on the GI, but much higher when cooked. As high as 65 according to some tests.

Research glycemic index and glycemic load.

Last edited:
I've never heard so much misinformation in a single post. The idea that ketones harm your internal organs is foolish. Saturated fats aren't "bad". Please stop spreading misinformation. Don't blame the steak because the potatoes are glucose rich oxidative monsters.

I suggest looking at Dr. Benjamin Bikmans work about what insulin is and how to control it.

While this is good, there is nothing wrong with non-saturated fats. They are still behind the times in that regard. And before anyone gets on my case I took my A1C from being type-2 diabetic requiring medication to showing blood sugars lower than someone who isn't diabetic without medication all through diet alone.

My doctor is actually concerned my blood sugar is too low because it's near 4.4 (80) and it has been this way for a year now. Also turned my cholesterol problem around eating these fats. However I don't eat any sugar or carbohydrates and haven't for more than a year.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
While this is good, there is nothing wrong with non-saturated fats. They are still behind the times in that regard. And before anyone gets on my case I took my A1C from being type-2 diabetic requiring medication to showing blood sugars lower than someone who isn't diabetic without medication all through diet alone.

My doctor is actually concerned my blood sugar is too low because it's near 4.4 (80) and it has been this way for a year now. Also turned my cholesterol problem around eating these fats. However I don't eat any sugar or carbohydrates and haven't for more than a year.
wink.gif

Interesting thread, especially relative to the best breakfast chain thread on here. My understanding is that theory is coming around that the issue is not specific fats, but rather the concurrent intake of fats and sugars, which create inflammation and other conditions which then effect the metabolism and handling of fats in the body.

So eggs and bacon might not be bad in isolation, but these with pancakes and syrup and sugar in a cup of coffee create a different effect.

I have watched a few videos and done a lot of reading on Keto because it's the diet I'm following and have been for the past year and without hi-jacking this thread into a Keto thread because I already have one on here I will tell you that this seems to be correct and I don't think modern Medical science has reached quite that point yet but it seems that they are starting to look more in that direction as 30 years ago when my grandparents had diabetes it was "here take this medication and go about your normal life" and now it seems to be "take this medication and try to keep to a lower carbohydrate diet to help manage blood sugar in conjunction with the medication" as I was told when I became Type-2.

"Interesting thread, especially relative to the best breakfast chain thread on here. My understanding is that theory is coming around that the issue is not specific fats, but rather the concurrent intake of fats and sugars, which create inflammation and other conditions which then effect the metabolism and handling of fats in the body.

So eggs and bacon might not be bad in isolation, but these with pancakes and syrup and sugar in a cup of coffee create a different effect."

This is pretty much the key here. It is how you combine those carbs that makes a difference. The type of carbs also plays into the equation.White Bread is generally considered a no go item but make it rye and it changes the circumstances.

Also, each person will have a different metabolism and effect so pushing a blanket diet on everyone will not be a success for some. I found that by increasing carbs just a little bit, my sugars remained stable but my brain fog cleared substantially. When I was trying a low carb diet I had brain fog in a bad way. So everyone has to find their own path.

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
I've never heard so much misinformation in a single post. The idea that ketones harm your internal organs is foolish. Saturated fats aren't "bad". Please stop spreading misinformation. Don't blame the steak because the potatoes are glucose rich oxidative monsters.

I suggest looking at Dr. Benjamin Bikmans work about what insulin is and how to control it.

Yeah there is no such thing as ketoacidosis.

Give up salmon and olive oil? I'm Italian so that ain't happening...rather everything in moderation. Plus I keep everything switched up : breakfast - cereal one day, eggs and sausage the next, then oatmeal etc. Lunch - tuna sandwich, or burrito, maybe a salad or just skip it and have an early dinner. Dinner - we have a wok and it gets used a lot. Sometimes steaks or burger with brocolli or green beans , sometimes pasta with a light basil tomato sauce. This is the day to day stuff.

Then there's the ribs, brisket, sausage, chops, smoked fish etc but these are not every day things; they're used to keep the pump lubricated occasionally.
Alcohol consumption is limited to an occasional glass of red wine and (very, very, very occasionally) a G&T. Don't smoke, no pills. Was blasting through the Walmart the other day and jumped on the blood pressure machine - 124 / 82 at 69 bpm The new standards call for less than that but I'm not going on BP meds for that, maybe a little more exercise instead.
I try not to overdo anything.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
www.pcrm.org good data on your health

Again...an agenda driven site that promotes only one answer for everything...migraines, erectile dysfunction, the lot....

If they were at least honest on the front page, maybe different...quick edit, though on your post.

I'd Love to hear how they source B12 on a strick plant based diet without the use of supplements.

Someday we will look back at all this "keto" we have today and personally, I believe science will realize just how out of whack the world became. Eating mostly meats and fats.....not a recipe for health. When I grocery shop, I always look in the shopping carts of lean and healthy looking people, many times women. What I notice over and over? The healthy weight woman has a load of fruits and veggies, lots of fiber and very little processed foods. The same can be done by studying the worlds regions where healthy weight is common (think Okinawa and Japan in general), the Mediterranean, much of Asia also. These people don't struggle with food like Americans. Why?

All I know is, if I look around at the health of American's in general.....it seems dreadful. An American woman in her 40's that looks good.....almost a unicorn it's so rare. I have traveled all over the world.....in other parts woman can looks good well past age 50. There is something seriously wrong with how we eat over here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back