Order that Large hamburger or fish sandwhich, add plastic and ketchup....

The proliferation of endocrine disruptors in the food and water supply has already had lasting effects like hormonal imbalance and subfertilty. I store at least wet food in glass or stainless steel containers rather than in plastic. I also avoid wet foods that are packaged in plastic as much as possible. With cans, I look for BPA free linings which are increasingly common but it's unclear what other problematic compounds may be present instead. All you really can do is minimize exposure. Avoiding it completely is impossible. If someone drinks coffee or hot soup out of a Styrofoam cup that's just a little dumb in my view.

And it seems that nanoplastics are almost impossible to see under the microscope and that they can leech chemicals into the bloodstream though the effects will take time since it's so recently. But i believe i saw an article linking some artificial sweetener to fetal development problems like autism and other issues.

The news has been quite wild today. Boeing omitted information about the cockpit door blowing wide open during depressurization and other operators finding loose bolts, the microplastics study, and the thing that questionable group did in nyc.

In the grand scheme of things, i doubt the styrofoam cup adds much in a lifetime. Microplasics are in the water supply, and hence accumulate in pretty much everything we eat. This is far from new information.

Microplastics are present in both tap water and bottled water. A study showed that an average of 325 plastic particles were found in a liter of bottled water as compared to 5.5 plastic particles per liter of tap water, according to Sherri Mason, a Penn State researcher. Microplastics are consumed by aquatic life and bioaccumulate in the food chain, traveling all the way from filter feeders to apex predators. We consume toxin-saturated microplastics in seafood such as mussels but likely consume more microplastics in food via dust fallout from the air.

20240109_181020.jpg

As bad as plastics and other chemicals we ingest are, we now live longer, better, and more healthy than ever before.

Discounting for things like self inflicted fentanal deaths, alcoholism, smoking, etc.

In the grand scheme of things, i doubt the styrofoam cup adds much in a lifetime. Microplasics are in the water supply, and hence accumulate in pretty much everything we eat. This is far from new information.

Microplastics are present in both tap water and bottled water. A study showed that an average of 325 plastic particles were found in a liter of bottled water as compared to 5.5 plastic particles per liter of tap water, according to Sherri Mason, a Penn State researcher. Microplastics are consumed by aquatic life and bioaccumulate in the food chain, traveling all the way from filter feeders to apex predators. We consume toxin-saturated microplastics in seafood such as mussels but likely consume more microplastics in food via dust fallout from the air.

Styrene is a neurotoxin. Heat and contact with acidic content makes it leach chemicals or dissolve. Many people will microwave food in Styrofoam containers. Luckily, the Styrofoam food containers and cups have at least here pretty much disappeared. Everything adds up. 3 Styrofoam cups of coffee a day, a takeout lunch, it all adds up. But yes, you can't avoid exposure completely.

Back