Dexron VI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than going to the dealer and getting it who else makes it? GM Dexron VI is 100% synthetic vs Mobil 1 Dex VI that is a syn blend. Valvoline claims 100% syn but I only see high mileage formula and I see no reason to dump a bunch of seal swelling additives in my transmission. Also what ever fluid I get must meet all GM's specs because this vehicle is still under warranty. As of right now I am leaning on just going and getting it at the dealer but at a price of $8.50 a qt my **** puckered, however if that is what will take to meet all GM specs and be 100% synthetic so be it unless someone has another option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shrooms
You can get Mag1 (full syn)on Amamzon.com for $3.99 and FREE shipping.

I ordered 16 qts of this at the end of January and still hadn't received it as of late last week so I canceled the order. It is on serious back-order!

Here's the list of licensed Dex VI:

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001073012.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Also, you can find GM Dex VI on ebay and other sites a lot cheaper than the dealer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Meijer's. 5.49/qt. Valvoline Full syn Dex VI.

I think we have a winner.

I was wondering if the Dex VI oil is suited for a Dex III spec. 4T80-E or would the Dex III be more well suited for a 100,000mi change on this trans that works very well and the current fluid looks like new. I am just going to do a pan drop.

Walmart Supertech D6, same oil as Mag 1 D6. Warren is good oil, but how much in reality is saved, given it is a trans. change on a newer car? I would go with the best oil I could find, not cheapest.

Originally Posted By: disturban
Valvoline claims 100% syn but I only see high mileage formula and I see no reason to dump a bunch of seal swelling additives in my transmission.

54.gif
The only Valvoline Dex VI I've ever seen does not claim to be high mileage or have any seal swell additives.

Quote:
Valvoline DEXRON®-VI ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is formulated with premium synthetic base stocks and
advanced additive technology, and meets all the stringent requirements of General Motors' DEXRON®-VI
specification*, which is designed for the modern automatic transmissions in GM vehicles. Valvoline DEXRON®-VI
ATF is officially licensed with GM and can be used in new and old GM automatic transmissions. It is fully backserviceable
and can be used wherever DEXRON®-II and/or DEXRON®-III are recommended.
* DEXRON® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.
The Valvoline DEXRON®-VI ATF Advantages:
• Provides consistent shift performance for new and old GM transmissions
• Extends transmission fluid life and prevents fluid breakdown at higher operating temperatures
• Provides excellent oxidative stability under severe conditions
• Reduces sludge and varnish build-up
• Protects transmission gears and allows them to operate smoothly
• Maintains lubricity
• Flows well for cold start-up
• Thoroughly field tested

Tell me where it says "high mileage" or has seal conditioners?
54.gif

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consum...ission-fluid/36

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
Walmart Supertech D6, same oil as Mag 1 D6. Warren is good oil, but how much in reality is saved, given it is a trans. change on a newer car? I would go with the best oil I could find, not cheapest.

Well given that the Dex VI spec is very stringent any fluid that is licensed is going to be about the same. The only differences would be syn or syn blend and since Mag1 (and most assume ST = Mag1)is a syn I would think it would be = to Valvoline Syn Dex VI.

Seeing as we have many people here using SuperTech Dex VI, I don't see what the problem is. I've used it and still am. It's cheap, sometimes isn't available though. I guess that would depend on quantity. I bought 20 quarts at 1 Walmart once though.

I believe gm dexVI is semi-syn. Valvoline claims full syn but whatever the dexVI they are all very close in if not exactly the same in makeup. I used the GM for my trans and used some Valvoline to top off. Still goes down the road.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Meijer's. 5.49/qt. Valvoline Full syn Dex VI.

That is what I've been using. In the opening post you mentioned that you only find Valvoline that is high mileage. Valvoline doesn't make a Dex VI that is hight mileage that I'm aware of. Perhaps a Dex/Merc Maxlife but the Dex VI is not Maxlife or high mileage.

Originally Posted By: willix
I was wondering if the Dex VI oil is suited for a Dex III spec. 4T80-E or would the Dex III be more well suited for a 100,000mi change on this trans that works very well and the current fluid looks like new. I am just going to do a pan drop.

I think dex 6 is back spec to every gm auto trans from the early 80s and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back