Dexron VI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have there been any tests done of the different brands of Dexron VI available on the market? Is there a best or are they all pretty much the same? I have an '08 Chevy K2500HD with the 6-speed AOD that I am going to start plowing snow with, is there a brand of D6 that is going to be better for that application?

Thanks,

Adam.

They all meet it the same. I asked this question some time ago as I still need to change the fluid in my G6. Your basically paying a price difference for brand name. Many recommended the Supertech DexVI, the Mobil 1 and Dealer(GM) Dex VI runs about $15-20 a quart :| from them. Maybe $15 from a Strauss/AZ/AAP, and less on the internet.

Ive never seen M1 for $15-20/qt. Yikes!

Personally I do not trust WM and though some oils like rotella T6 were more readily available from there in the past, I prefer to avoid shopping there. I do not trust their product configuration/quality control, and would prefer an ATF from one of the majors. Id go for any, Pennzoil, castrol and valvoline are the brands I see the most of/most often.

D6 is a pretty stringent spec, and I believe requires a syn fluid. Id use any with confidence.

You have a choice, you can buy anyone of the commodity ATF's like all the oil company brands or you cab buy a specialty ATF such as AMSOIL, Redline, Royal Purple.

I'll be changing the tranny fluid once a year and right before plow season, that will make Amsoil or Royal Purple very expensive. With a change interval that often, would the boutiques be way overkill?

Remember if you get a rebuilt trans you'll pay full price but the warranty will be worthless since you use it commercially.

It's a hackneyed saying, but, "it's cheap insurance" to change the fluid that often and use good stuff.

Stay away from cheap Dex-VI's. I and some other folks on this board have had trouble with SuperTech Dex-VI in our cars.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Remember if you get a rebuilt trans you'll pay full price but the warranty will be worthless since you use it commercially.

It's a hackneyed saying, but, "it's cheap insurance" to change the fluid that often and use good stuff.

I get this, but will standard D6 Castrol get the job done well enough rather than paying a kings ransom for boutique synthetic? I believe a total transmission flush is in the neigborhood of 13-14 quarts, that's big money. Actually I'm just using the truck to plow my own property and maybe help me in-laws every once in a while.

"Stay away from cheap Dex-VI's. I and some other folks on this board have had trouble with SuperTech Dex-VI in our cars."

I have a hard time taking Supertech seriously as well.

Any Dexron6 will get the job done. But, some are more expensive than others. And, they are not all the same.

What's DexronVI cost at your local store? $4-$9 per quart?
What brands are available? What is required by your transmission? DexronIII or DexronVI? Which transmission and don't say AOD?

When buying in bulk(gallons or 12 quart cases), you can get boutique ATF pretty close to the store priced ATFs.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
What's DexronVI cost at your local store? $4-$9 per quart?
What brands are available? What is required by your transmission? DexronIII or DexronVI? Which transmission and don't say AOD?

When buying in bulk(gallons or 12 quart cases), you can get boutique ATF pretty close to the store priced ATFs.

I know that Castrol D6 is readily available in the area and assume most others are as well, not sure what it costs. Ever since GM changed the model number of the TH700R4 I can never remember the model numbers of their AOD's, oops, there's that term again. It is the heavy duty 6-speed automatic (behind the 6.0 VORTEC, Duramax's get the Allison) that GM has been installing in their HD series pick-ups since 2007 and it requires Dexron VI.

It requires DexronVI so use it or an equivalent. Valvoline/Castrol/Mobil are easy choices. Shop around.

Redline D6 and Amsoil ATL are a couple boutique options.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
You have a choice, you can buy anyone of the commodity ATF's like all the oil company brands or you cab buy a specialty ATF such as AMSOIL, Redline, Royal Purple.

Just FYI - Royal Purple MaxATF is not listed as Dex VI compatibale at this time and RP tech's do not recommend using it in that application when asked.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
It requires DexronVI so use it or an equivalent. Valvoline/Castrol/Mobil are easy choices. Shop around.

Redline D6 and Amsoil ATL are a couple boutique options.

X2. Good answer. As this is a plow truck( even just for your own yard - still hard on the trans )I would use the highest quality synthetic boutique oil available myself. However, any licensed Dex VI will do the job if the fluid level is kept full and the fluid and filter are changed at a responsible interval. Valvoline seems to offer really good ATF's. They are very popular for those needing Dex VI and ATF+4 trans fluids.

I was going to run the Redline D6 in my 07(NBS) Silverado as RP MaxATF is not Dex VI compatibale but ended up selling it before I got to that point. The Amsoil would be a good option too. However, boutique "universal" ATF's will not be warranty acceptable just FYI. If you want to preserve that 5 year/100K PTW I would not use those fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
However, boutique "universal" ATF's will not be warranty acceptable just FYI. If you want to preserve that 5 year/100K PTW I would not use those fluids.

It this statement is true then I would say that this is a pretty important point, pretty much decides the discussion doesn't it?

Originally Posted By: Matchlight
I'll be changing the tranny fluid once a year and right before plow season, that will make Amsoil or Royal Purple very expensive. With a change interval that often, would the boutiques be way overkill?

I put AMSOIL ATF in my plow truck and never touched it again in the 5 yrs I had it. we get over 200 inches on snow annually. I sold the truck to a young kid in 2007 and he has been hammering on it ever since. See him everyday, says truck is running great,nutting broke yet.

PS-Had the trans shop purge all the ATF and install AMSOIL Dexron III ATF.

Originally Posted By: Matchlight
NHHEMI said:
However, boutique "universal" ATF's will not be warranty acceptable just FYI. If you want to preserve that 5 year/100K PTW I would not use those fluids.

It this statement is true then I would say that this is a pretty important point, pretty much decides the discussion doesn't it?

It is true.

A universal fluid, even when it is listed as compatible with the specific called for fluid, is not warranty acceptable. Some of the mfg's of these universal fluids will tell you they are but the truth is they are not. I worked dealer parts and service myself and have dealt with this situation. I am familiar with the applicable law here( Magnuson-Moss act )as well and it doesn't protect for that( some mfg's say it does but I say no - GM will say no and fight you too ).

If your 5/100 PTW is important stay with a Dex VI specific fluid. It is a pretty good fluid by all accounts if changed on time. The universal ones will work and are excellent but technically they do not meet warranty requirements. Save the use of those for when the warranty is expired.

However, if you have a dealer you are on good terms with you could discuss using one of these fluids. When I had my 07 Silverado the dealer was willing to go along with the Redline fluid and just play dumb. The dealer was not going to give me a hassle as long as I changed it on time. GM might have hassled me and the dealer would not get involved. GM could specifically ask what I used and require receipts proving it was the right stuff( Dex VI )or test the fluid and see what showed. Not unheard of. The dealer however would not hassle me on their end.

It is up to you if you want to risk it. It "could" be a problem for you not "will". Only becoems an issue if you have to show what you used or the mfg, GM in this case, pushes it. Some dealers don't care and just do the work but at times the mfg gets involved and wants documentation. My Sister needed an engine replaced in her 06 Impala under warranty and GM did in fact investigate the maintenance history right down to proper oc's done with the correct oil, filter, and done on time. I believe an oil sample was even taken.

Last edited:
Not all Dex6 is created equal. The oem Petro Canada fluid is a syn blend (pretty good stuff), Valvoline is a full synthetic.
The Valvoline is probably the best quality you will find on a store shelf.

Quote:
Save the use of those for when the warranty is expired.

By that time the trans may be worn out from using commodity fluids.

You can discuss what fluids to use with your dealer but chances are very high he will condemn anything he isn't selling. Like most people, mechanics and service people are virtually untrained in oils and lubricants. What makes them dangerous is that they have some sort of initial credibility with people.

The problem you will have with an oem is that you have a plow on the truck which is considered abuse in most all instances. Thats when you better be kissing up to the dealer, not for using a high end multi-vehicle atf.

Quote:
Commodity definition :
A physical good that is bought and sold based solely on its price, rather than quality and features. Examples include coffee, cocoa, grain, cotton, metals, and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back