Anyone using Dexron VI instead of Mercon LV?

Gonna drain and fill the 6F35 in the fusion again soon and was wondering if anyone is running Dex VI instead of Merc LV? I Valvoline ATF says it covers both but can I just use Dexron VI? It's about half the price of Merc LV and more readily available

It seems to be the same fluid. I don't remember which fluid manufacturer it is, but someone has a D-VI / LV ATF that's licensed by GM and Ford. That strongly suggests the fluids are the same formulation. Also, GM and Ford co-developed the 6F transmissions too.

Castrol TRANSMAX® DEXRON® VI MERCON® LV
  • Fully approved by both Ford and GM for use in vehicles requiring their latest ATF specifications

Last edited:
Gonna drain and fill the 6F35 in the fusion again soon and was wondering if anyone is running Dex VI instead of Merc LV? I Valvoline ATF says it covers both but can I just use Dexron VI? It's about half the price of Merc LV and more readily available
Maxlife works well too. I’ve been using it in my son-in-law’s Fusion for over 100k in southern Texas heat and it seems to work great. Inexpensive at Walmart.

Back