dexos 1 supersede, replace GM4718M specification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has always put GM4718M spec'd oil in his '99 Corvette...usually Mobil 1 5W-30. If he uses oil that is stamped dexos 1 on bottle, but doesn't have on back of bottle 'GM4718M spec'd'....is he safe? Does dexos 1 alone cover the GM4718M recommendation?

Others will chime in with more information but, I think that dexos is a seperate GM spec for DI engines and GM4718M(though an older spec) is for Corvette. Though, I believe dexos will be fine for the Vette
smile.gif

Quote:
Dexos1 is the only motor oil approved and licensed by General Motors for warranty service for all
2011 model year and newer GM gasoline engine cars and trucks. dexos1 supersedes the GM6094M,
GM4718M and GM-LL-A-025 specications for 2010 and older GM vehicles and is now the only motor oil
GM recommends for those vehicles

My concern is that some of the dexos 1 oils are blends and I thought the GM4718M oils were all full synthetics.

They were, however the fact that Dexos is superior to 4718 is the important part. Doesn't matter what base stock is used, spec to spec comparisons are what matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldasco
My concern is that some of the dexos 1 oils are blends and I thought the GM4718M oils were all full synthetics.

Dexos 1 is not low spec oil. We have no idea what oil base stocks is really in the bottle, it may be a very high spec oil in a blend bottle just to meet the spec.
If it has Dexos 1 on the bottle it meets or exceeds the spec for GM4718M.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/about-dexos

Thanks everyone!

Some Corvette owners' hands might be a little shaky though pouring a blend in engine after always using full synthetic in past.

As mentioned, Dexox 1 superceds all previous GM oil performance specs for SI engines. It also assures that the oil can be safely run to OLM=0%.
4718M was a spec that measured resistance to deposit formation at unusually high oil temperatures.
It really only mattered for those Corvettes that were tracked, since the Corvette lacked an oil cooler and very high oil temperatures could be reached in track use.

Thaank you, these are my concerns exactly. I keep Mobil one 5-w30 in my car that calls for GM4718M and I am afraid to use the dealer Delco DEXOS1 blend. I keep seeing oils that are DEXOS1 and say superceses GM 6094, but doesn't mention GM 4718M. Some others do say they supercede GM4718M specifically. It's confusing. I stick with full syns. (Mainly Mobil 1) in my DI Caddy as it has 3 timing chains and beats up oil.

Some Corvette owners' hands might be a little shaky though pouring a blend in engine after always using full synthetic in past.

But, they don't have to. They can still use the same oils they always used that met the previous specification.

fdcg27 said:
As mentioned, Dexox 1 superceds all previous GM oil performance specs for SI engines. It also assures that the oil can be safely run to OLM=0%.

After reading many UOA's I believe that if I took the (overly optimistic) OLM on my 2011 Cruze 1.4T to 0% (possibly > 10K miles) on AC Delco dexos1 (semi-syn.) the longevity of the engine would be compromised....not all dexos1 oils are created equally....

Originally Posted By: pbm
not all dexos1 oils are created equally.

If it labeled Dexos it must meet the spec regardless of brand, whether the oil exceeds the spec is another story but is irrelevant for OLM and warranty.

I understand what you are saying but if the spec oil is not able to go the distance the OLM indicates there is an issue with the OLM algorithm or the engine design not the oil.
True, a full synthetic may hold up better in these types of situations but it shouldn't have to if the OLM algorithm is correct.
IMO you are talking about using a "better" oil as insurance.

I have no problem using Super Tech Dex IV for example as it is a current spec, Dex III is obsolete so i would be more careful and only buy brand names labeled Dex III.

"I understand what you are saying but if the spec oil is not able to go the distance the OLM indicates there is an issue with the OLM algorithm or the engine design not the oil.
True, a full synthetic may hold up better in these types of situations but it shouldn't have to if the OLM algorithm is correct.
IMO you are talking about using a "better" oil as insurance."

Exactly...
GM apparently changed the OLM on the Cruze turbo in 2013 (to make it more conservative) but didn't recall 2011's and 12's for
the readjustment. These early Cruze owners should be careful if using a semi-syn and following the OLM to 0%.

I would only use a full synthetic such as M1 5W30 or PP 5W30 which states BOTH the DEXOS1 spec and the GM4718M spec as being met ...The GM4718M spec was always a full synthetic (no blend) .
If I can afford a Vette - I'm running synthetic oil in it !

Originally Posted By: Garak

But, they don't have to. They can still use the same oils they always used that met the previous specification.

That's the point, in the past, only synthetics met that specification.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
That's the point, in the past, only synthetics met that specification.

What I mean is, if it were me and I had something like a Vette calling for the synthetic specification, I'd probably continue using PP/PU/M1/Syntec/Synpower or whatever I was using that had the original specification, rather than hunting for the lowest price product that met the dexos1 specification. Of course, that would probably work, but let's take an example of something that did not originally have the dexos1 spec. If I had a Vette and had been using Syntec in it for a number of years, and all of a sudden GM says dexos1 supersedes the previous specification, I wouldn't be abandoning Syntec just because it wasn't dexos1 licensed and go on the hunt for Pennzoil dexos1 blend.

Someone with a brand new Vette can certainly choose the "higher end" dexos1 products, too. Like I said at the start of the dexos1 matter, I do understand GM's point, but an Impala has little "need" for a dexos1 oil, and I would understand a Vette owner's hesitation in going from the synthetic they always used down to a blend.

Of course, an Impala can benefit from extended OCIs and a Vette is usually driven pretty conservatively, but that's another matter altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back