Dexos 1, Dexos 1 Gen 2, or GF-5/API SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have come to the conclusion that regular old Chevron Supreme 5w-30 (GF-5/API SN) that you can get at Costco on coupon for $27.99 per case is not much different than the expensive synthetic oils on the market in terms of wear reduction. Thanks to the Chevron banner at the top of this forums page, I found I can get a $5 per 5 quart purchase rebate up to $15. (15 quarts)

As you can see in my signature, my vehicles are 2008 and older, the Dexos standard didn't start until 2011 model years. Through analyses I have found the wear metals are no higher using Chevron Supreme for the same mileage as expensive synthetic oil. The oil I tested against was Redline, at the time around $12 per quart. I had to do 3 oil changes to get all the residual oil out from previous oil types. I figure for the same (or less) money, I can change out the Chevron every 1k-2k miles and still be ahead of leaving the Redline in for 5k. 5k is when analysis showed the oil needed to be replaced.

I am finding Milesyn SXR 5w-30 licensed Dexos 1 (not Gen 2) (5 gallon pail) on Amazon for $65.87 + tax, free shipping. That is about $3.59 per quart. If I buy 2 cases (24 quarts) of Chevron Supreme at Costco (to get the $15 rebate), it's about 2.00 per quart with the $15 rebate. Milesyn also has a Synthetic Blend 5w-30 that meets GF-5/API SN for $39.98 + tax per 5 gallon pail, that works out to $2.18 per quart. The Chevron price is slightly higher due to CA adding an "oil fee" of 29c per gallon. I don't know if Amazon is adding this fee.

My question is now that the synthetic Dexos 1 is available at a more reasonable price, is the benefit really there? The non-rebate price of the Chevron works out to $2.62 per quart, so for less than $1 per quart, I would be upgrading to Dexos 1. Of course, the Milesyn GF-5/API SN would be cheaper than the Chevron. The GM requirement for these engines is 6094M, which is met by GF-5/API SN products.

The product specifications for the Chevron Supreme are actually better than the Milesyn SN.

To Dexos, or not to Dexos, that is the question.........

I'm not sure I have a response, just my logic...

Used to run syn in my 98 chevy truck. Logic was that I love the truck, want to keep it indefinitely.

But especially once kids came, a two seater isn't very useful. So the mileage dropped. So I went to PYB, which is great stuff in its own right, have been using that for years now. I do still love the truck and still wish to keep it indefinitely.

Recently it was on the shelf at Walmart for nearly $18. I can get GTX magnatec (which is desirable if true since the truck sits long periods) for just over $15 with amazon subscribe and save. So I went Magnatec. Which now is D1G2 "full synthetic".

Reality is, until they start making some reasonable "old car oils", like something that's a solid API SL with modern design but lower price point, it looks to me that "conventional" and synthetic prices will continue to converge.

Your Montana has an older tech engine like my 4.3. The 3.6 vvt, AFAIK, is a newer design, and may be better served with SN, D1G2, etc. but like my case, the price point for a D1G2 oil may just be close enough to justify using the same stuff in multiple places.

All the newer oils should be backwards comparible with older vehicles, just use the specified viscosity. Can't even find some of the older API specified oil these days.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm not sure I have a response, just my logic...

Used to run syn in my 98 chevy truck. Logic was that I love the truck, want to keep it indefinitely.

But especially once kids came, a two seater isn't very useful. So the mileage dropped. So I went to PYB, which is great stuff in its own right, have been using that for years now. I do still love the truck and still wish to keep it indefinitely.

Recently it was on the shelf at Walmart for nearly $18. I can get GTX magnatec (which is desirable if true since the truck sits long periods) for just over $15 with amazon subscribe and save. So I went Magnatec. Which now is D1G2 "full synthetic".

Reality is, until they start making some reasonable "old car oils", like something that's a solid API SL with modern design but lower price point, it looks to me that "conventional" and synthetic prices will continue to converge.

Your Montana has an older tech engine like my 4.3. The 3.6 vvt, AFAIK, is a newer design, and may be better served with SN, D1G2, etc. but like my case, the price point for a D1G2 oil may just be close enough to justify using the same stuff in multiple places.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I understand your logic, I want to keep my vehicles indefinitely as well, that's why I got interested in "synthetic" oils. The analyses showed me that no matter which oil I use, there will be not much, if any, difference in wear. So it seems the best thing you can do for oil is change it, and for the price I can change it often. The oil starts filling up with junk the moment you start the engine, so getting that out can't be a bad idea.....

The 3.6 vvt is the last year of multipart injection, 2009 started direct injection. The GM spec for that is still GM6094M, so an SN will work.

I think the GF-5 and/or API SN specs require at least a synthetic blend, so those approved oils by default are a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
All the newer oils should be backwards comparible with older vehicles, just use the specified viscosity. Can't even find some of the older API specified oil these days.

Thanks, I know Dexos is backwards compatible, but it is more expensive than regular SN/GF-5, and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money for my applications.

I'm not sure how much oil you need, but you can get a $12 rebate per jug for 2 jugs of M1 until the end of May. The vanilla M1 seems to be about $22-23 at my local Walmart, so that's only a little over $2 a quart here...might with different in CA with extra taxes and whatnot. The main issues are that this rebate is time and volume limited and also is not valid for Amazon purchases (XOM is quite specific about this, WM has always worked for me even if they haven't been on the approved retailer list).
I believe Pennzoil will also have some rebates from time to time. You can get full synth pretty cheap if you're willing to deal with rebates...for a small quantity, M1 is quite a bit cheaper than Supertech synth (dexos1 Gen 2 for about $17/jug) right now with the rebate factored in.

Of course, I think that the Chevron you discussed will be just fine for your engine, too!

Thanks, ya it seems it would have to be to meet API SN and GF-5. They don't tout this as "synthetic", or "synthetic blend", but if it works, and it's cheap, I just change it out more often.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm not sure how much oil you need, but you can get a $12 rebate per jug for 2 jugs of M1 until the end of May. The vanilla M1 seems to be about $22-23 at my local Walmart, so that's only a little over $2 a quart here...might with different in CA with extra taxes and whatnot. The main issues are that this rebate is time and volume limited and also is not valid for Amazon purchases (XOM is quite specific about this, WM has always worked for me even if they haven't been on the approved retailer list).
I believe Pennzoil will also have some rebates from time to time. You can get full synth pretty cheap if you're willing to deal with rebates...for a small quantity, M1 is quite a bit cheaper than Supertech synth (dexos1 Gen 2 for about $17/jug) right now with the rebate factored in.

Of course, I think that the Chevron you discussed will be just fine for your engine, too!

Thanks for mentioning retailer restrictions, I read the fine print in the Chevron rebate offer, and guess what? The rebate does not apply to purchases made at Costco (among others, including Advance Auto/Auto Zone, and WM)!! So disregard the original post regarding Chevron final price at Costco being $2 per quart, it will be $2.62 per quart with coupon. That makes the Milesyn SB 5w-30 (API SN/GF-5) more attractive.

Looks like Miles finally got Gen2 Dexos for their 0W20 and 5W30:

https://mileslubricants.com/uploads/certificates/dexos_lic.pdf

Effective March 28th 2018

Also, from API

MILESYN SB 5W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5
MILESYN SB 10W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5
MILESYN SB 5W-20 SN Resource Conserving, SN Plus GF-5
MILESYN SB 5W-30 SN Resource Conserving, SN Plus GF-5
MILESYN SB 10W-30 SN Resource Conserving, SN Plus GF-5
MILESYN SXR 0W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5
MILESYN SXR 5W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5
MILESYN SXR 5W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5