Dewalt DXCM251 25-Gal Oiled Air Compressor

I'm going to restore this 1946 RE-7 2 stage Champion, The AC motor is tired & someone tried to bypass the centrifugal unloader.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Kudos on this great endeavor. I love to see great old stuff kept in operation and restored. Are any of those motors 3 phase?

Specs on those boat anchors would be neat to know - gallons, hp, cfm etc.

When you have something as big as those, 1725 rpm is quite adequate.

Only using one belt?

Last edited:
All are single phase, The KA is a 1981 80 gallon 332TVX 18.1 cfm @ 150 psi updated with a new 5hp Baldor motor. The Mills is anyone's guess, But has a newer 1.5hp Dayton motor from the '70's, Pretty sure the pump & 20 gallon tank are late '30's-early '40's.

The Champion is 60 gallons, Not sure about any other specs.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by user52165
FWIW - 3450 is a very common rpm for AC motors. But it does not have that much affect for noise. The pump rpm would depend on the pulley sizes but would be less than motor rpm. Design of pump, oil capacity, number of cylinders, mounting, insulation, etc are all a factor for noise.

Something like this helps, but is a crutch for a poor design:

https://smile.amazon.com/Pack-Anti-Vibration-Rubber-isolation/dp/B002IA0WPI/ref=sr_1_13

Every compressor I own has a 1750 rpm motor & are quiet compared to just about any 3450 rpm motor equipped compressor no matter the pulleys/configuration.

I have my Kellogg American on hockey pucks as it was walking across my smooth concrete floor, I didn't notice much sound reduction but it's not all that loud to begin with.
My ancient Mills is welded inplace up high in my small shop/garage, Granted it does have quite the reduction & lumbers along at @ 400 pump rpm.

I've been wanting to do that spray foam insulation to my garage and pole barn. How do you like it?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Best $4,500 I ever spent, I was apprehensive about spending that much at first, But it really stabilizes the temperature!

Do you heat it as well?

Have a natural gas Dearborn, I'll fire it up a few hours before I open on cold days. But it doesn't get all that cold here! When it's 110° is when I really notice the difference from working it uninsulated ovens most of my career!

Back