Detroit, Michigan, Auto Museums in the fall

CKN

So we are contemplating a trip this fall to Michigan. I have been asked by the wife to come up with how much time we need in the greater area.
Here is my visit wish list-
Cadillac Lasalle/Lincoln Motor Car/Gilmore Car Museum all in Hickory Corners
The Automotive Hall Of Fame - Detroit
The Henry Ford Museum/Rogue Factory Tour -Detroit
Detroit Historical Museum

Has anybody done the above? OR-has any idea how many days we would need?
Thanks!

Last edited:
My wife and I are members at the Henry Ford. You could casually walk through the entire museum in about 1.5 hours IF you did not stop and engage with any of the exhibits (movies, hands-on, race car driving simulation,etc.). It would be a tragedy if you did not also visit Greenfield Village while you were here. You could do both the museum and village in one day if you have good stamina and don't dawdle too long at the various stops.

The Ford truck plant visit probably takes about 2 hours. Depending on your preferences, I would consider not doing the Ford plant tour. It's very cool seeing it in operation in person, but you can get the gist of automotive assembly line factories on YouTube. Note that I am biased because I have visited vehicle assembly lines numerous times.

We're going to attempt to visit the Gilroy Museum(s) next week for the first time and maybe I will give an update on that. I would say a minimum of one day in Dearborn and at least a half day in Hickory Corners (will follow up).

My wife and I are members at the Henry Ford. You could casually walk through the entire museum in about 1.5 hours IF you did not stop and engage with any of the exhibits (movies, hands-on, race car driving simulation,etc.). It would be a tragedy if you did not also visit Greenfield Village while you were here. You could do both the museum and village in one day if you have good stamina and don't dawdle too long at the various stops.

The Ford truck plant visit probably takes about 2 hours. Depending on your preferences, I would consider not doing the Ford plant tour. It's very cool seeing it in operation in person, but you can get the gist of automotive assembly line factories on YouTube. Note that I am biased because I have visited vehicle assembly lines numerous times.

We're going to attempt to visit the Gilroy Museum(s) next week for the first time and maybe I will give an update on that. I would say a minimum of one day in Dearborn and at least a half day in Hickory Corners (will follow up).
Appreciate it! Yes-let us know of you visit the Gilroy museums.

Appreciate it! Yes-let us know of you visit the Gilroy museums.
The Gilmore Museum is fabulous and well worth it. You can get through everything in about 2 to 3 hours, longer if you stop to read stuff, watch movie presentations, etc.. It sits in the middle of nowhere on 90 acres of farm land. It's a first class operation with a serious vehicle collection (about 400 cars).

I don't like crowds, so Thursday morning was very nice for that aspect. They have lots of car events: every Wednesday evening is a "cruise-in" and almost every weekend has some type of extra car show - some are VERY popular/crowded. We ate at the diner - it is not a fully functional restaurant and they just have sandwiches, soup, and other easy offerings at reasonable prices.

Of course they have cars from the late 1800's through modern times. To me, their most spectacular collection is of luxury sedans of the early through mid 1900's (Packards, Duesenbergs, etc.).. Make sure to visit all the "nooks and crannies" - motorcycle collection, toy pedal car collection, etc..

Back