Detective books recommendations

Just watched Stone Cold: Jesse Stone movie based on Robert Parker novel. I read the Hardy Boys Books by Nancy Drew as teenager also. Anyone have any recommendations for new or old mystery series/books? Thank You and have a great weekend folks 🇺🇸🇨🇦

Robin Cook novels. Not quite detective novels but detective investigating in hospital & medical examiners line of work.
OR James Patterson’s “Private” series which is detective work.

There are two writers who came up with some of the stories that Humphrey Bogart played in some of his films: Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep) and Dashiell Hammett (Maltese Falcon). Both writers wrote a lot of stories. These are two of my favorites.

Earl Stanley Gardner wrote the Perry Mason series. Those are some great stories, although the characters tend to be one dimensional.

Agatha Christie wrote a long series of Hercule Poirot detective stories. Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile have recently been turned into big Hollywood movies done well IMO (there have been quite a few film adaptations of her books, but these two have been re-done just in the last few years).

One last recommendation is the Charlie Chan series by the original author, Earl Derr Biggers. I've read all five or so of his novels and they were all great. Chan was a Chinese detective from Hawaii who would solve cases on the American mainland while having to prove his abilities to his doubters ("haters" would be the modern word).

I too started with the Hardy Boys and eventually moved to Sherlock Holmes novels which I may begin reading again, so thanks. (y)

C J Box's Joe Picket series is exceptional, best read in order. Now 22 books in series about a Montana game warden and his family. Well written, interesting plots and actually educational. There are also some smaller series and stand-alone stories that are also very good. Just query "C J Box books in order" One of my favorite authors. I also like J A Jance, several intertwining series that are very well done.

Pathology: The Murderous Rage of Dr. Anthony Garcia. Anthony Garcia, medical student at Creighton University, was kicked out of the medical school's pathology department and years later murdered on doctor's son and house keeper and another doctor and his wife.When he was finally caught by the FBI, he was on his way to LSU to take revenge on those who had booted him out of that medical school. A very good, true account of how he was brought to justice. Now on Nebraska Department of Corrections death row with another crazy, Nikko Jenkins. Nikko is a work of art. He has tattoos all over his face and bald head and likes to take a razor blade to his manhood.

Back