library donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got lots of old books and movies that I'm only going to read or watch once. Content is a partial consideration in this decision, but there are some series like Poirot, Dexter, or Sherlock Holmes that I like to have on hand to watch multiple times or share with friends, even if I already know the plots (call me crazy). Some things have sentimental value to me as well; I don't always "steal souls" from objects and return them out of principle. Some of them just look pretty and I like to have them around for that reason (that Black Crowes CD I rented is made to look and feel like an old vinyl record BTW). Then there are others which I enjoyed and think generally worthwhile, but for me would probably just collect dust and take up storage space. I've also been known to buy books and movies (and music) for people, or loan them out and never really expect to get them back. I'm not really sure if I'm making a good case here, but at the very least, you could of course just rent your donated materials back from the library (assuming that in most cases, they won't go missing or get destroyed before you wanted to get at them again). I've got a few things I'm about to go take to the two libraries around here I frequent (if you wanted to rent them yourself and couldn't put a bullet through my head at this point, you must live on the moon). Just in case you were interested:

"Swine Not" by Jimmy Buffet. There's an extended review I posted on the RSP site, but in short, this book reads like a cheesy PG movie. It reminds me quite a lot of "Dunston Checks In". I read it on the plane and at the airport during our last vacation and basically blew through it in one sitting. It's very entertaining and easy to read. This book won't give you a headache or catapult you into enlightenment, but some of his personal viewpoints are clearly evident and I'm a fan. I thought it was fun, and someone else might enjoy it. I got it on sale anyway; it's not something I consider a loss any way you slice it.

"Planet Earth" series (Discovery Channel). I got this either for my birthday or Christmas a while back and I think I watched most of them. The "caves" and "oceans" ones are particularly interesting I thought (the "Blue Planet" series was a favorite of mine, much more so than this one). If I had a better TV, I would probably be more interested as the film quality is spectacular, and there is a lot of neat scenery, but some of the grandeur wears on you quickly even though there's a lot of great information present. This is one I might rent again someday. The box and discs are in great shape.

"From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E.L. Konigsburg. A Newbery Medal winner. I haven't read this one since grade school! There's some sort of reptile sticker in the front and a penciled in "R.I.P. 94", which must have been some sort of reading program we had back then. I remember the plot, but not the ending.

From the back of the book:
"When Claudia decided to run away, she planned very carefully. She would be gone for just long enough to teach her parents a lesson in Claudia appreciation. And she would live in comfort - at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. She invited her brother Jamie to go, too, mostly because he was a miser and would have money.

The two took up residence in the museum right on schedule. But once the fun of settling in was over, Claudia had two unexpected problems; she felt just the same, and she wanted to feel different; and she found a statue at the museum so beautiful she could not go home until she had discovered its maker, a question that baffled even the experts. The former owner of the statue was Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. And without her help Claudia might never have found a way to go home."

I might decide to read this one again, but not right now. It might be a while, so I'm donating it. I could probably read it in a day if I wanted to.

"John Adams" miniseries (HBO). Absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended even for those who don't usually get into American history. It was immensely entertaining even if it were filmed as fiction, but informative as well. Stellar acting, meaningful, but not overly dramatic, and the plot easily keeps your attention through the whole series. It has a good sense of closure though (not surprising considering the nature of the topic), and it's not something that would really be as interesting for me watching a second time. Also in excellent condition.

My better half is into "book crossing", where people share books and stories around the world.

She once "gifted" a local tourist attraction (Zig Zag Railway) with around 40 books, all stamped and registered on book crossing.

Within a week, they were scattered all over the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back