Desk Top Computer Problem

This whole thing just started this week, when turning on the computer in the morning I get the message that is on the picture. I have a feeling that my hard drive might be falling, I bought the desk top refurbish back in 2014-2015 time period. If the problem is related to a falling hard drive, there is plenty of space to install another drive in the case or I am better off just getting another used/ new system. No crazy games or work related stuff just basic internet, some pictures and info regarding projects.

Attachments

• ERROR-IMG_8082.JPG
    ERROR-IMG_8082.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 91
It's possible you just need to re-install Windows. With that said, 2014-2015 is getting up there in age, what are the specs of the machine? If it has decent memory and a decent processor you could probably just upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.

Assuming you know the "basics" about computers and are not afraid to delve into this, go to the website noted: windows.com/stopcode. The diagnostic workflow will assist you in working through the problem.

If you hard boot the machine (long-press the power button until it shuts off, turn it back on) does the error persist consistently? I've thought of the "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" error to be a driver issue; in which case it is odd that it is just now occurring.

If you can hard boot 'er and get it logged in again I would first ensure the system is up to date. I might even think about going into the Device Manager and manually checking for updated drivers if I had the time. Depending on what make/ model of HDD you have, there is likely a utility to check on its health. Although an upgrade to a consumer-grade SSD would probably be a smart choice, anyhow.

Assuming you know the "basics" about computers and are not afraid to delve into this, go to the website noted: windows.com/stopcode. The diagnostic workflow will assist you in working through the problem.
1-10 I am probably a 5 on the scale. I kind of know how the basics work and know enough just to be dangerous. I'll check some You Tube about stop code thing.

1-10 I am probably a 5 on the scale. I kind of know how the basics work and know enough just to be dangerous. I'll check some You Tube about stop code thing.
Can you get into Windows at all? If so you could run chkdsk

This whole thing just started this week,
Microsoft updates were pushed out on Tuesday of this week (it's the 2nd Tuesday of every month). Did the problem occur on Monday? It could be a compatibility issue with the most recent update package, in which case you can either experiment with uninstalling updates, or wait it out and hope MS issues a fix between now and next month's patch Tuesday.

edit: I do agree that upgrading to an SSD (if you're not already on one) would be a good thing, even if your current drive is not going bad.

Microsoft updates were pushed out on Tuesday of this week (it's the 2nd Tuesday of every month). Did the problem occur on Monday? It could be a compatibility issue with the most recent update package, in which case you can either experiment with uninstalling updates, or wait it out and hope MS issues a fix between now and next month's patch Tuesday.

edit: I do agree that upgrading to an SSD (if you're not already on one) would be a good thing, even if your current drive is not going bad.

Bing chicken dinner, problem started on Tuesday just like you mention.

I've read that SSDs have a finite read/write capability and won't last as long as conventional hard drives. I do have a SSD in my computer but worry it might go out at any time now.
I wouldn't worry about that. I really haven't noticed a significant life span difference between traditional HDDs and SSDs. In fact the SSDs have been holding up just as well if not longer in the agencies I work for. The significant speed difference is worth it.

I've read that SSDs have a finite read/write capability and won't last as long as conventional hard drives. I do have a SSD in my computer but worry it might go out at any time now.
Read up on "terabytes written" and I'm confident you'll find that your system will be okay. Most normal users will see 10+ years of daily usage out of modern SSDs before they reach their read/write limits.

Does that apply to flash drives too?
No. USB flash drives will wear out rather quickly if used as a system disk or other situation with frequent writing. Besides also being dog slow compared to a real SSD or even a mechanical disk.

But aren't they the same solid state chip technology inside?
Not exactly. SSDs do leverage flash memory which is of much higher quality. SSDs are built to support higher speeds and longer life (number of write cycles). This makes SSDs more suitable for main/OS drives.

On the other hand, most USB flash drives are designed for cheap portability and occasional file transfers. They're very slow when copying/writing very small system files, which makes them unsuitable for main/OS drive duties. They are also not designed to be re-written as many times as a typical SSD.

With that said, there are some USB flash drives out there that use SSD-like technology inside. You'll usually know because they're slightly larger and a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
I agree with adding an SSD to the system. I’ve had a Samsung drive in my 2009 desktop for years now without issue. Samsung’s Magician porting software also makes cloning idiot proof.

Back