Desk Top Computer Problem

Read up on "terabytes written" and I'm confident you'll find that your system will be okay. Most normal users will see 10+ years of daily usage out of modern SSDs before they reach their read/write limits.
Yep! Probably significantly longer than 10 years for a typical user's usage patterns.

For Multi-Level Cell (MLC) Flash, up to 3000 write cycles per physical sector based on current lithography process (19nm and 20nm) at the time of this writing. For Single-Level Cell (SLC) Flash, up to 30,000 write cycles per physical sector. For Triple-level Cell (TLC), up to 500 write cycles per physical sector. Lithography of the Flash Memory Die plays a key role in cell endurance and decreases as the size of the die gets smaller.

More: https://media.kingston.com/pdfs/MKF_283.2_Flash_Memory_Guide_US.pdf

I've retired two PCs recently that I installed SSD into when I built them.
It's wierd having SSDs that I could reuse in another PC. However, the price of an equivalent SSD today is about 20% what it was when I bought those, and the performance is so much higher that I really can't use them in a workstation PC today. So, I wouldn't worry much about wearing one out.

This whole thing just started this week, when turning on the computer in the morning I get the message that is on the picture. I have a feeling that my hard drive might be falling, I bought the desk top refurbish back in 2014-2015 time period. If the problem is related to a falling hard drive, there is plenty of space to install another drive in the case or I am better off just getting another used/ new system. No crazy games or work related stuff just basic internet, some pictures and info regarding projects.

I recently went thru similar. My honest recommendation is that if you're technology challenged like I am, pack it up, take it to Best Buy, and pay them a $200 annual Geek Squad membership. See if they can fix it or salvage the data to a new external hard drive (~$100).

Then either buy something they have on the floor or do what I did, go home, shop online and find a good affordable machine. Then take that new machine to BB and have them "build" what you want. They'll keep it for a day or so, build it, install anything you want, transfer all data, set it up, put anti-virus on it, and so forth. It's an incredible 1-year membership value.

I say this because your motherboard may be on borrowed time at the 6 year mark. You could just replace the hard drive. But I would start shopping around for a new system personally so you don't have problems later. Either way BB geeksquad was a good value for me.

For the $1000 value machine I'm working on, I'm into it for about $500 (the $200 BB membership, $100 in accessories, and about a $200 refurb Dell purchased on Amazon). I have 3 large internal hard drives, huge amounts of RAM, 8 USB ports, DVD-R drive, and upgraded power supply ($20), etc.

I would have spent a month of aggravation trying to build something like this. $500 very well spent.

Last edited:
It's possible you just need to re-install Windows. With that said, 2014-2015 is getting up there in age, what are the specs of the machine? If it has decent memory and a decent processor you could probably just upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.
My 2010 vintage Mac Pro would like a word, lol.

IMHO, Samsung SSDs (SATA) are not worth the extra price compared to Crucial MX500 series and WD Blue series, in vast majority of cases.
I generally buy Kingston, they've been cost effective and I've had no reliability issues with them. I also wouldn't pay extra for Samsung.

I generally buy Kingston, they've been cost effective and I've had no reliability issues with them. I also wouldn't pay extra for Samsung.
The Samsung SSDs or M.2 NVMEs aren't expensive. For how long they last, it is worth spending more money upfront.

I would just throw it away and get a new one. Computers are cheap, no need to even think about it further or sink money into an old machine.
$600 for an Apple or $350 (or less for a windows PC) and you will be way better off then fixing what you have.

Thanks every one for all the great ideas, yes the system is old and at some point will need fixing or a replacement.

I have no data save on it and some pictures are save on another memory stick just in case.

The Samsung SSDs or M.2 NVMEs aren't expensive. For how long they last, it is worth spending more money upfront.
Didn't say they were expensive, just that I wouldn't spend more for Samsung.

I've got north of 100 Kingston SSD's in service now with no failures. Before that I was using Crucial, but had compatibility issues with a Mac, which were resolved with a Kingston one, that, and the fact that they can be ordered with a 3.5" drive bay kit in SATA for a couple bucks more made them my go-to.

- The Samsung 980 NVMe in 500GB for example, lists 1.5 million hours for MTBF, 3,100MBps Read/2,600MBps Write
- The Kingston KC2500 NVMe in 500GB for comparison, lists 2.0 million hours for MTBF, 3,100MBps Read/2,500MBps Write

In my price list, the Kingston is exactly $20.00 cheaper for a drive with a 1/2 million hour higher MTBF. So, why would I willingly choose to spend more on the Samsung?

If the OP was okay with the performance level of the HDD, I don't see a reason to pay a premium for a high end SSD. There's the reuse argument but if buying a new(ish) system you're better off not running the OS from an SATA SSD anyway.

SO, what I would do is buy a mid-grade SSD, then restore the OS partition backup I made, to it. Make sure to disconnect the HDD when booting the SSD.

Next, disable windows automatic updates, if not making backups timely enough to have you covered in case one grenades the OS, and make a new backup before enabling windows updates to let them catch up.

If you don't make OS/app changes often it can be easier to put your user generated data elsewhere and just back that up frequently then OS less often so if you have to restore a partition backup you lose less user data since the last one, and need less storage for X # of backups stored.

Last edited:
Modern SSD's are case of diminishing returns. They are all so fast as to be essentially the same. What does it matter if it's only 11x faster instead of 12x?

If the OP was okay with the performance level of the HDD, I don't see a reason to pay a premium for a high end SSD. There's the reuse argument but if buying a new(ish) system you're better off not running the OS from an SATA SSD anyway.
If the options are conventional spinning disk or an SSD, both being SATA, the SSD is still massively faster, so what's the reasoning behind your statement?

Modern SSD's are case of diminishing returns. They are all so fast as to be essentially the same. What does it matter if it's only 11x faster instead of 12x?
Yup, in service, for "average" use, the difference is imperceivable to Joe Average End User. I've been doing a rolling upgrade of the HP mini desktops in a clinic and I've used both the Kingston UV400 (480GB, 10x faster than spinning disk) and the KC600 (512GB, 15x faster than spinning disk) and, because in reality, both are limited by the SATA interface, performance is nary identical. Both drop the boot time from like 2-3 minutes to seconds when swapping out the WD Black 500GB 2.5" drives that were factory.

If the options are conventional spinning disk or an SSD, both being SATA, the SSD is still massively faster, so what's the reasoning behind your statement?
What part did I need to elaborate on? I never included HDD as an option. The issue could be one of whether SSD is an "investment" that would carry over to a new system, when new system should have NVMe or M.2 not SATA for best performance.

What part did I need to elaborate on? I never included HDD as an option. The issue could be one of whether SSD is an "investment" that would carry over to a new system, when new system should have NVMe or M.2 not SATA for best performance.
It seemed that you were advocating for not buying a SATA SSD because it would cary with it a performance penalty when compared to NVMe in a new(er) system. If the alternative was spinning disk, clearly, even in SATA, it's going to be a performance upgrade in a "newish" system.

If I've misunderstood what you were saying then don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Back