Design difference between 4cyl engines from America vs Japan

The ‘92 Mitsubishi I used to own had the 1.8 liter 4G93 motor and that was a iron block.

Also my 1996 Toyota Tacoma had the 2.7liter 3RZ-FE and that had a iron block as well.

I wonder what happened to Daewoo - now with GM’s realignment killing off Holden and selling Opel/Vauxhall to Stellantis what is Daewoo even good for?
export markets and small vehicles. that’s what they’ve been tasked for for the past 20 years

every VW ever until a few years ago

Current EA888 3G and 4G 'evo' still use a grey cast iron crankcase.
It isn't even heavier compared to most aluminum blocks of this size
due to its super thin wall thicknesses of just 2.X mm.
Same with VW EA288 TDI engines, still iron, while all EA211 (1.0-1.5
TSI) are aluminum (with grey cast iron sleeves).
However VW did make some aluminum block engines in the 1990s,
so VW & aluminum aren't a new thing. Air-cooled VW engines have
been mostly aluminum and magnesium from the beginning anyway.

export markets and small vehicles. that’s what they’ve been tasked for for the past 20 years
But with GM’s pulling out of India(not a big deal), their partnership with Isuzu more or less done except for contractual work with DMAX(for the Duramax V8) as well as supply/production agreements for the NPR cabover trucks it seems like GM’s primarily focused on the Americas and China. Daewoo has played third vs. Hyundai-Kia and Renault Samsung(which is under the Nissan rung of Renault Nissan Mitsubishi) in Korea.

Daewoo sold their automobile division to Tata. I think they streamlined everything after the Asia Financial Crisis

Their CEO ended up in prison.

Maybe I’m showing my age here, but I have never seen an iron block 4 cylinder.

For modern engines it's vary rare, the VW/Audi Turbo engines are one example. Back in the 90's an iron block and aluminum head was pretty common. Hyundai kept it's iron block Alpha and Beta four cylinders in production until 2011 and 2012.

For modern engines it's vary rare, the VW/Audi Turbo engines are one example. Back in the 90's an iron block and aluminum head was pretty common. Hyundai kept it's iron block Alpha and Beta four cylinders in production until 2011 and 2012.
I think the Fiat 1.4 used in the 500 and Dodge Dart is an iron block with an aluminium head.

My 2006 Tacoma 2.7 has an iron block / aluminum head. The current Tacoma 4cyl offering is just a modernized version of mine... probably an iron block... does anyone know?

My 2006 Tacoma 2.7 has an iron block / aluminum head. The current Tacoma 4cyl offering is just a modernized version of mine... probably an iron block... does anyone know?

Toyota 2TR-FE engine, still in production today with an iron block, was revised in 2015 to include dual VVT-i.

Toyota 2TR-FE engine, still in production today with an iron block, was revised in 2015 to include dual VVT-i.
We had one of these in our rented Hiace campervan with the 6spd auto and it was pretty decent really. Half throttle would have it lurching off the line and up through the gears to 65mph way ahead of normal drivers. It sounded not to bad either for a 4 banger.

I think the Fiat 1.4 used in the 500 and Dodge Dart is an iron block with an aluminium head.

Think so too.

Iron blocks can be made smaller, with less space between cylinders and less wall thickness or reinforing ribs on the outside of the block. Chances are the same engine with an aluminium block would be too big for a car sized like the 500.

Another reason Iron blocks are sometimes used is because the engine design is shared with a diesel engine. The block will use the same casting (bar the markings) as the diesels and will be machined to accept gas engine parts. Diesel engines requirte more rigid engine blocks though there have been and are aluminium diesel engine blocks around.

My 07 accord with the 2.4 had 394000 on it when I traded it in a few months ago..Engine has never had work...original water pump and alternator...Just did normal maint on it..

About 35 years ago a friend and I went to one of those used Japanese engine places. Picked up an engine for his 1974 dodge Colt( Mitsubishi). The engine he got had 2 carburetors!

Car was crazy fast for it's time with that setup lol

About 35 years ago a friend and I went to one of those used Japanese engine places. Picked up an engine for his 1974 dodge Colt( Mitsubishi). The engine he got had 2 carburetors!

Car was crazy fast for it's time with that setup lol
I had a 1973 Dodge Colt GT with the 1600 CC Mitsubishi HEMI engine...yes it was a Hemi Head. I did soup it up a bit and had the Solex or Minuki...I foget which one..44MM side draft duel carbs on it...When Dodge started to sell them they had performance parts from Japan for it such as the carbs..camshaft heads and suspension parts...the car was used in world wide road rallys. The performance parts were called the C2 performance parts.

Back