Design difference between 4cyl engines from America vs Japan

I think the biggest difference in longevity is how they're driven and maintained by their target demographic. I've always believed this in regards to foreign versus domestic in general.
Where I work we have a fleet of vehicles, Mostly Ford and Chev right now, Dodge in the past. There's a definite difference in how they handle the abuse.
Fords just soak it up. I think every Chev has had either major transmission or engine work done, the Dodges were okay but just fell apart on the interior.
On the assumption that across a small fleet the treatment (or more likely, abuse) each vehicle gets is averaged out there are definite differences between brands.

Where I work we have a fleet of vehicles, Mostly Ford and Chev right now, Dodge in the past. There's a definite difference in how they handle the abuse.
Fords just soak it up. I think every Chev has had either major transmission or engine work done, the Dodges were okay but just fell apart on the interior.
On the assumption that across a small fleet the treatment (or more likely, abuse) each vehicle gets is averaged out there are definite differences between brands.
Lots of fleets tend to prefer Ford - especially government and private, but construction company fleets. There’s a reason Ford keeps on making the Ranger/F-Series XL, it’s a consumer loss-leader but fleets love them.

However, I see the cable companies and AT&T fall back on GM Express vans. The Transit doesn’t take a beating as well as the E-series did. I’ve been seeing Terminix, Orion and Ecolab Tacomas recently.

Something that crossed my mind, I remember the older Japanese engines using balance shafts which reduced vibration. I’m sure they didn’t invent the idea but I remember older four bangers like Mitsubishi utilizing balance shafts.

Something that crossed my mind, I remember the older Japanese engines using balance shafts which reduced vibration. I’m sure they didn’t invent the idea but I remember older four bangers like Mitsubishi utilizing balance shafts.
True....Early on, Domestics didn't feel it was necessary to fit balance shafts to their cheapest engines that subsequently went into their cheapest vehicles. Can't really disagree with the logic they used at the time.

90° V6 engines also have vibration issues, The Buick 3.8L/3800 didn't get a balance shaft 'til GM started using them in upper trim level level vehicles as the only or the top engine choice.

I think Mitsubishi might've held the patent on secondary balance shafts, which is why it took other manufacturers some time to catch up.

We don't get many US made engines here, only a few this century. The Toyota Cavalier was a badged Chevrolet, and the camchain driven water pump was considered ***, and that is why most are off the road, not worth the money required to fix.

I had a customer with a Chrysler Neon...rego number NEON10 to give an idea of how common. I did a headgasket on it, nothing to comment there. What was interesting was the clutch - it was a cassett...pressure plate, clutch plate and flywheel all in one bolt on piece. Very expensive compared to a normal clutch job of course. I think she realized the car was a mistake. But better than the Pontiac Le Mans she had previously - I was happy when she dumped that Daewoo.

15 or so years ago I was doing the same and I agree with your observation. Ford seemed to hold up the best across their entire lineup compared to GM and Chrysler. And I’d probably say Chrysler might have been the worst during that time frame (2000-2010). Just a ton of transmission failures. Fuel rails, intakes, check engine lights constantly (evap, misfire, o2 sensors,). A lot of AC condensers.

GM was a ton of power steering racks, check engine lights, intake gaskets, AC problems/leaks, interiors falling apart, crank sensors, misfires, evap.

Fords (at least back then) seamed to be able to handle the abuse. Not a fun car/truck/suv at that time. Never liked how they drove: suspension seemed dead, interiors were boring, lot of noise in the cabin, not a lot of ”excitement”, but I learned to appreciate them. And you’d think I’d be a Ford guy after that? Nope, I’ve only owned one in my family over the last 30 years (Expedition for a few years).

I think like someone else said, maybe it’s not the actual tolerances of the engines but the metallurgy. If you’ve ever owned a Toyota or Honda, you notice just how quickly they get to operating temperature and how smooth/quiet they are upon start up and the whole way through the drive cycle. And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen these things sit for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME, and start right up and run like perfection after that long sit. Whereas the GM or whatever will barely start. Metal? Tolerances? I don’t know.

Metallurgy is always a factor, coupled with design. For many years, Honda used pistons made by "Art". They were cast pistons, cast and machined with extreme precision and of an alloy with less than 90% aluminum, along with a very high silicon content. This reduced the rate of expansion. Honda and Art also knew that the smaller the diameter, the lower the true expansion. They also ensured that each piston was exactly the same weight.

They chose hard chrome faced piston rings, often made of carbon steel instead of cast iron. Art moved the ring lands up on the piston for better heat transfer, along with a higher and offset piston pin to reduce skirt loading.

The result was an engine that did not burn oil, did not wear rapidly, did not experience excessive start up wear, and could take extensive high load, high RPM use without distress. They produced a "refined" product, due to the excellent heat transfer properties, low rates of expansion and hard chrome steel rings.

Now, apply that design excellence to every internal part, and the result is self evident. The Japanese really did build better "pedestrian" engines for a very long time.

Contrast that with Hyundai, who continues to have engine problems, despite the apparently identical designs. All is not what it seems.
After so many years of terrible paint/clearcoat you would think Honda would put more thought/technique into that rather important part of any vehicle. I wouldn't want a Honda for that very reason...

I think like someone else said, maybe it’s not the actual tolerances of the engines but the metallurgy. If you’ve ever owned a Toyota or Honda, you notice just how quickly they get to operating temperature and how smooth/quiet they are upon start up and the whole way through the drive cycle. And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen these things sit for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME, and start right up and run like perfection after that long sit. Whereas the GM or whatever will barely start. Metal? Tolerances? I don’t know.
Metallurgy could help it last longer but it's not going to make it run smoother or start easier.

The Toyota Cavalier was a badged Chevrolet, and the camchain driven water pump was considered ***, and that is why most are off the road, not worth the money required to fix.
I was happy when she dumped that Daewoo.
I wonder what happened to Daewoo - now with GM’s realignment killing off Holden and selling Opel/Vauxhall to Stellantis what is Daewoo even good for?

And yea, the US twisted Japan’s arm over American imports. In Australia, there was a similar thing - Holdens and Aussie Fords were sold as Toyotas and Nissans to keep the Australian auto plants running. I think the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon were sold as a Toyota and Nissan at one point in time.

Holden and Ford slapped their badges on anything, not the other way around. The VL Commodore used Nissan Skyline engine and driveline for a couple of years until they made the VN with the 3.8 V6. It was about Aussie content, and they pushed that hard for many years.

In the '80's and '90's all Fords in the Pacific regon were Mazdas with a Ford badge.

I remember getting in a Toyota Corona for a road test, and something felt strange...that gearbox was very familiar. Coming back to the shopand a closer inspection - it had a Borg-Warner gearbox, the exact same thing as in the Ford Cortina, no wonder it felt familiar, and a Starfire engine, a horrible thing where Holden cut 2 cyls off the 6 to get a 4 cyl engine. So Aussie built gearbox and engine gives tax credits...build it cheap and reap the profits.

Design difference between 4cyl engines from America vs Japan?​

About 75 pounds…

Most American manufacturers use iron and steel, Japanese use aluminum, magnesium, and other exotic lightweight metals.
They also make more power per cubic inch than American engines..

However, I still see Iron Dukes with 350-500K on the odometer, still chugging away…

I rarely see a Japanese motor with more than 100K that does not drink a quart of motor oil per 1000 miles…

The GM 153 4 cylinder was a 194 Chevy I6 with 2 cylinders cut off, Not to be confused with the 2.5L Iron Duke. ...
Bad math there. It was the 230in³ Chevy I6 (same bore and stroke) with 2 cylinders cut off. The 153, 194, 230, 250, and 292 were all variations of the same basic design.

About 75 pounds…

Most American manufacturers use iron and steel, Japanese use aluminum, magnesium, and other exotic lightweight metals.

However, I still see Iron Dukes with 350-500K on the odometer, still chugging away…

I rarely see a Japanese motor with more than 100K that does not drink a quart of motor oil per 1000 miles…
I think those weight differences you’re talking about might be something from 20 years ago, but no longer. Now, these ”American” (and I use American term lightly because who knows where these things are made half the time) are made of aluminum (with plastic intakes and anything plastic they can get away with). I would say they are just as light if you threw them on a scale. Maybe lighter.

And oil consumption? Again, I think you’re talking about (well I’m not sure what you’re talking about there). German manufacturers have been plagued by it for sure, but all the manufacturers have had their issues lately...GM, Honda, KIA, VW, you name it. But I definitely wouldn’t consider companies like Honda or Toyota worse for oil consumption compared to American companies. And Honda and Toyota sell a lot of cars...many of which are still on the road with over 300,000 miles or more.

I think that the Honda 1.8 and the 2.4 are some of the best 4 bangers out there...IMO

About 75 pounds…

Maybe I’m showing my age here, but I have never seen an iron block 4 cylinder.

Back