Denso vs Motorcraft?

Walmart has a crazy good deal on a two-pack of Motorcraft FL910s filters for $7.14 right now. I’ve recently been buying the Denso 150-2002 filter for $4.84 but the Motorcraft also fits my Mazda. Is the Denso filter worth the extra $$ or should I stock up on Motorcrafts?

I'd take the motorcrafts for the silicone adbv.

If space permits, you can also use the longer FL400s
For my particular application the filter is inverted so the ADBV doesn’t really do much. Is there a significant difference in actual filtration?

Walmart has a crazy good deal on a two-pack of Motorcraft FL910s filters for $7.14 right now. I’ve recently been buying the Denso 150-2002 filter for $4.84 but the Motorcraft also fits my Mazda. Is the Denso filter worth the extra $$ or should I stock up on Motorcrafts?

Your post has the Denso as being cheaper but you say it is more expensive. Typo somewhere?

For my particular application the filter is inverted so the ADBV doesn’t really do much. Is there a significant difference in actual filtration?
It's an on on-going misconception. Even if the filter base is up the ADBV still prevents the oil in the galleries above the filter from draining down. The filter may stay full, but oil galleries above the filter may drain out, so could still have some air voids in the oiling system.

I recommend neither because you can get a much better value for your money. My recommendations below are on filters that have advertised values for efficiency, micron rating and life. There are no performance ratings I could find for Denso filters and Motorcraft has only a YouTube about testing using the USCAR-36 standard.

My recommendation would be to get two oil changes from one of the following:

Fram Tough Guard $7.17 / 2 = $3.58 per oil change
Purolator One $7.49 / 2 = $3.75
Fram Ultra Synthetic $8.17 / 2 = $4.09
Supertech Extended Life $5.97 / 2 = 2.99

Or if you prefer to change your filter with every oil change:

Purolator Premium $4.99
Fram Extra Guard $4.17

In both cases you'll have filters to choose from that have clear performance specs.

Below is a link to a filter analysis table I maintain with a rating method I came up with to help with my filter shopping. It also includes construction features that may be important to you!

You're keeping up on regular maintenance so it's not going to make a big difference to your car.
Forced to choose, I would get the Motorcraft 2-pack.

Back