Denso Oil Filter Japan vs Thailand (vs. Wix?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have read before that the made in Thailand Denso Filters where not as 'quality' as the Japan versions, however recent posts on various forums indicate that the Japan vs. Thailand Denso filters are now equal in quality.

fwiw, the Japan filters are normally what arrives in vehicles stock from JDM vehicles, and Thailand Denso filters are obtained from local U.S. dealers.

I have a recently acquired Toyota Highlander Hybrid which uses the V6 3.3 Liter 3MZ-FE engine that is also on the Camry & Sienna.

Reading on bitog forums, a recent post however indicates there is still a discrepency between Japan vs. Thailand Denso oil filters.

My question is, does indeed a quality issue remain to exist between the two filters? Or was that user misinformed?

If so or not, I have also read here of the Wix Filters as having a good reputation. Is this a suitable replacement for the Toyota Thailand Denso Filters?

Thanks!
Edgardo

I have found the same thing with Nissan. Replacement filters are from China. I switched to Wix at 15,000 miles. No issues. In fact, engine is less noisy on startup.

I use the Thailand Densos on my Tacoma. All evidence I've seen from home flow and filtration tests and UOAs from other users is that they are a very good filter. Wix, of course, are excellent, too.
I think the Denso flows a bit easier though. The Densos have the most square inches of media per filter size in their class due to a very efficient use of internal space. The media had no endcaps but instead is thermally bonded at the end of the pleats. The outer ridges of the pleats actually touch the canister and hold it in center while the oil flows up between the pleats. An interesting and effective design.

Same as the rat, I use the Thailand Denso filter on my Tacoma. No problems with the filter at all, and the used one I cut open looked well made and was doing it's job.

I bought a case of them at a decent price, mainly because I wanted to protect the warranty, but I have since found out you can use a diff filter and still be covered.

The Thailand made denso filters are excellent. I'm not sure if I want to spend $15+ for a Japan made filter. The construction is different inside but as long as you change your oil and filter regularly, you should be good.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I have found the same thing with Nissan. Replacement filters are from China. I switched to Wix at 15,000 miles. No issues. In fact, engine is less noisy on startup.

My factory Nissan filter was also Made in China. I switched to Pureone at 4K.

Made is China doesn't matter as much as the specification it is built to. I would take one a part before judging it by where it is made!
wink.gif

Wix is good quality, but I recently ran into some confusion with 57073 for my Jeep Patriot.
The first few I bought had "Made in Indonesia" and "Made in Mexico" stamped on the can. They used an orange glue on the tail end and I had a nice filter socket that fit for easy changes.
Last one I bought just had "Made in Mexico" on the can, they use black glue now, and they changed the grooves on the end and now my socket doesn't fit, and I can't find on that does.
Not a big deal, as I can still get it pretty tight by hand, and have a strap to remove it if needed. But the outsourcing and changes to the design are annoying to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back