Denso Oil filter efficiency

The Denso rep says this: Keep in mind that this is an aftermarket filter, the standards are not as high as the dealer (OEM) filter.
I don't think the standards of the OEM filters are that high. Only spec I know of that a vehicle manufacture can follow is USCAR-36 (which Ford follows for Motorcarft oil filters), and it's not really that tough to meet. And the manufactures who don't follow USCAR-36 can probably make up any specs they want, which doesn't necessarily mean they will be that good.

And PD oil pumps have been around even longer. No real such thing as "flow over efficiency" ... but there is such a thing as less delta-p vs flow.

With a PD oil pump all the flow goes through the oil filter unless the pump is in pressure relief, which is a very rare condition. An engine oiling system is not like the plumbing system in your house.
For the 834th time.

I don't think the standards of the OEM filters are that high. Only spec I know of that a vehicle manufacture can follow is USCAR-36 (which Ford follows for Motorcarft oil filters), and it's not really that tough to meet. And the manufactures who don't follow USCAR-36 can probably make up any specs they want, which doesn't necessarily mean they will be that good.
Agreed. USCAR-36 efficiency spec 95%>30um, not exactly the toughest efficiency standard to meet. Afaik, only FoMoCo promotes meeting USCAR-36, and USCAR participation completely voluntary. It is a minimum standard so 'could be' better. The 2011 Amsoil sponsored ISO test showed MC application to be ~94%@20um. As long as the OEMs keep their efficiency specs secret/proprietary, it's just a guess. At least when it comes to efficiency, I don't believe the OEMs set the bar very high.

As for Denso, need to separate made for Toyota Thai Denso, from Denso FTF filters now made in China. The former was also tested in aforementioned Amsoil ISO test and showed it to be ~50%@20um. High standard?

Denso FTF site still falsely lists their black adbv as silicone. Been proven with burn test to be nitrile. Before moving coo, FTF did use orange silicone. Being aftermarket, no reason the FTF can't release an understandable efficiency spec as many other aftermarkets do.

I wouldn't worry about using Denso oil filters. Favoring flow over efficiency, Denso has been around a long time and is the OEM supplier for many Asian vehicle brands. Not intended for extended drain intervals. Use another brand for that. Denso also has a retail website for filter and other parts purchases. In my experience, Denso, Nippon and Full are Asian filter brands that are better constructed than most.
DENSO

If Denso aftermarket can't match up to Toyota OEM, that's a pretty low bar! I would use Denso FTF oil filters, but they would have to be as cheap as Champs, less than Fram PH orange ones!

Back