Denso Oil filter efficiency

I sent an email to Denso regarding their oil filters.

It said: With your Denso oil filters, what is the contaminant particle size (in microns) and the filter’s efficiency percentage?

Here is the reply:

image001 (1).jpg

Can someone tell me if my question was answered here?

I went back and forth with a rep from Denso, they claim to not have the info. Something about being aftermarket and not having the info provided to them. They did imply the OEM filter would do a better job at filtration. This was interesting as no make or model was discussed.

This is why I'm curious (Whip City Wrencher):

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 8.59.31 AM.jpg

Something about being aftermarket and not having the info provided to them. They did imply the OEM filter would do a better job at filtration.
I'm not sure that it accurate. Doesn't the industry standard say that if you indicate a part is for a given application that it meets or exceeds the OEM spec ? Never mind.... Looks like that only applies to safety-related parts.

That said, DENSO is a reputable company and they're not making cheap parts. They're the OEM for a lot of parts and automakers too.

I'm not sure that it accurate. Doesn't the industry standard say that if you indicate a part is for a given application that it meets or exceeds the OEM spec ? Never mind.... Looks like that only applies to safety-related parts.

That said, DENSO is a reputable company and they're not making cheap parts. They're the OEM for a lot of parts and automakers too.
I bought one and it looks very well made. I was curious the efficiency. Denso says they meet OEM requirements by not saying they meet OEM requirements:

Dual-layer Filtration Media for Maximum Engine Protection
There’s a big difference between generic, mass-merchandised oil filters and top-quality filters built to strict original-equipment standards. The generic filter has a pretty paint job and attractive packaging, but it may not even meet manufacturer warranty requirements.

I bought one and it looks very well made. I was curious the efficiency. Denso says they meet OEM requirements by not saying they meet OEM requirements:

Dual-layer Filtration Media for Maximum Engine Protection
There’s a big difference between generic, mass-merchandised oil filters and top-quality filters built to strict original-equipment standards. The generic filter has a pretty paint job and attractive packaging, but it may not even meet manufacturer warranty requirements.
What are the OEM requirements?

What are the OEM requirements?
The Denso rep says this: Keep in mind that this is an aftermarket filter, the standards are not as high as the dealer (OEM) filter.

Their website says: There’s a big difference between generic, mass-merchandised oil filters and top-quality filters built to strict original-equipment standards.

That is marketing language to make it appear the Denso filters are built to OEM standards without saying it.

From what I see in the image I posted above it appears to capture pretty larger objects.

Here is a WIX vs the new Wix.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.13.14 PM.jpg

Some others:

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.19.37 PM.jpg

Is Wix garbage now? It seems like they've actively gotten lower quality this year, whether it's on purpose due to cost cutting or whatever.

The Denso rep says this: Keep in mind that this is an aftermarket filter, the standards are not as high as the dealer (OEM) filter.

Their website says: There’s a big difference between generic, mass-merchandised oil filters and top-quality filters built to strict original-equipment standards.

That is marketing language to make it appear the Denso filters are built to OEM standards without saying it.
Hard to argue with that. Back in the day the aftermarket Denso filters were identical to the OEM Toyota ones but not so today. If that matters one never knows but it is a fact.

Hard to argue with that. Back in the day the aftermarket Denso filters were identical to the OEM Toyota ones but not so today. If that matters one never knows but it is a fact.
Why is that the case? Denso filters not being the same as the actual original equipment, Motorcraft not being the same as the actual original equipment. What gives?

Denso is a reputable OEM manufacturer. Their OEM filters are typically made in the USA. On the other hand their AFTERMARKET filters are usually cheapo stuff from China.

Why is that the case? Denso filters not being the same as the actual original equipment, Motorcraft not being the same as the actual original equipment. What gives?
Because there’s more profit margin when they can pump out filters at a sweat shop overseas and no commercial buyer to hold them accountable on consistent or overall quality/specs.

I wouldn't worry about using Denso oil filters. Favoring flow over efficiency, Denso has been around a long time and is the OEM supplier for many Asian vehicle brands. Not intended for extended drain intervals. Use another brand for that. Denso also has a retail website for filter and other parts purchases. In my experience, Denso, Nippon and Full are Asian filter brands that are better constructed than most.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about using Denso oil filters. Favoring flow over efficiency, Denso has been around a long time ...
And PD oil pumps have been around even longer. No real such thing as "flow over efficiency" ... but there is such a thing as less delta-p vs flow.

With a PD oil pump all the flow goes through the oil filter unless the pump is in pressure relief, which is a very rare condition. An engine oiling system is not like the plumbing system in your house.

Back