HiFlo Filtro HF171RC Filtering Efficiency

Good Morning Board,

I called Bike Alert, Inc. in Georgia, the North American based Headquarters for HiFlo Filtro inquiring on the filtering efficiency on the above filter, which is spec'd for my 2014 HD Road King.

The tech person stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." I asked about the 5 micron filtering ability, they stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." I asked for their general efficiency rating, i.e., X% at what micron, they stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." Regarding general filtering efficiency, they said, "...we don't give out that information..."

I've been using their product for years, no issues or problems at all, I am assuming it's doing what it's supposed to do, and I love the "nut" at the end of the filter, makes changing it out a breeze. No complaints.

But I "loathe/detest" when a consumer cannot get information about product performance. I understand proprietory product details, i.e., what their secret sauce is in making the filtering element; the special paper they might use as a result of a discovery of an artic tree in the snow falls, or the glue that only comes from the nasal discharge of a tropic monkey bred in isolation from the common monkey - I get that, but to not publish your performance specs is unacceptable, if you ask me.

I think the lack of transperancy in business is appalling, just "trust us." Will a company be there if their product fails and blows an engine? Can we trust they will?

Anyway, just sharing some info.

RevRider

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Yeah, the "5-micron" claim is meaningless. The media is a synthetic blend, so it's a good bet that it's 99% efficient at 20-30 microns. They're good filters, especially for the price.

There should really be a consumer protection law requiring that any claims regarding the efficiency air, oil, and fuel filters need to be backed up by published ISO test results.

Do they actually make it, or do they just rebrand a white box filter? Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have regular access to the specs if it's just a bulk private filter relabel.

When actual efficiency of xx% @ yy microns isn't given out when asked by someone, and the customer is told that information is "proprietary", it's not devulged because they are embarrassed to tell you. If the filter had a stellar efficiency, they would be advertising it all over the place, not trying to hide it because it was "proprietary".

Do they actually make it, or do they just rebrand a white box filter? Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have regular access to the specs if it's just a bulk private filter relabel.
Regardless of who designs and makes the filter, there should be ISO efficiency testing by some lab and data available. If a company like Harley is putting their brand name on a filter, they should have access to the design and performance data of their branded oil filters.

The folks at Bike Alert, Inc. are the North America Headquarters for HiFlo Filtro.

Regardless of who designs and makes the filter, there should be ISO efficiency testing by some lab and data available. If a company like Harley is putting their brand name on a filter, they should have access to the design and performance data of their branded oil filters.
When actual efficiency of xx% @ yy microns isn't given out when asked by someone, and the customer is told that information is "proprietary", it's not devulged because they are embarrassed to tell you. If the filter had a stellar efficiency, they would be advertising it all over the place, not trying to hide it because it was "proprietary".
The logic of your two (2) statements in my opinion is impeccable.

Right, I'm just thinking that a CS person at a downstream distributor might not have access to that info (at least quickly), ergo the "meets or exceeds OEM specifications" ad nauseam ad infinitum.
The folks at Bike Alert, Inc. are the North America Headquarters for HiFlo Filtro.
That doesn't say anything about whether they actually manufacture the filter themselves, contract manufacture, or just buy white-box filters and private label them.

Right, I'm just thinking that a CS person at a downstream distributor might not have access to that info (at least quickly), ergo the "meets or exceeds OEM specifications" ad nauseam ad infinitum.
The Customer Service/Tech Line is short sighted if they think nobody is going to call and ask what the actual efficiency numbers are.

If they told RevRider "we don't give out that information" it sounds like they have it but won't give it out ("proprietary" excuse?). If they didn't have the data I'd expect them to say "sorry, we don't have that level of information ".

I asked for their general efficiency rating, i.e., X% at what micron, they stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." Regarding general filtering efficiency, they said, "...we don't give out that information..."

Hiflofiltro is a major filter manufacturer. Their filters are rebranded by OEMs and companies like K&N.

Hiflofiltro is a major filter manufacturer. Their filters are rebranded by OEMs and companies like K&N.
Sounds like...
istockphoto-165622506-612x612.jpg

This is from HiFlo's website:

Distribution​

f429ce2725.jpg

Comprehensive stocks are always kept at the Hiflofiltro distribution centres in London – UK and Atlanta – USA, ready for immediate delivery.

Also from their website:

“To achieve our quality aims and to ensure the consistency of our products, we use only premium materials from well known manufacturers: steel from Toyota Tsusho and NKK Japan, glue from Henkel Germany, filter paper from Ahlstrom Filtration Finland, Hollingsworth & Vose USA and Awa Paper Japan.”

Also from their website:

“To achieve our quality aims and to ensure the consistency of our products, we use only premium materials from well known manufacturers: steel from Toyota Tsusho and NKK Japan, glue from Henkel Germany, filter paper from Ahlstrom Filtration Finland, Hollingsworth & Vose USA and Awa Paper Japan.”

I looked all over the HiFlo website and couldn't find any specific info on their filter efficiency. Only found this:

"Capable of capturing particles as small as 5 microns."

Could be that's what Harley is echoing with their "5 micron" claim on the Harley filter.

That video shows the Harley filter being made in the USA, so that one can't be a HiFlo. Might be a WIX made filter since that one has a base plate bypass valve.

The 100x microscope view of the media looks like the Harley filter media would be the lower efficiency of the three.

Last edited:
Back