DENSO Iridium spark plugs from ROCKAUTO Fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to find out if anyone has ever gotten any of those fake Iridium spark plugs from ROCKAUTO, Ive purchased some DENSO Super Long Life plugs SK20HR-A11 Blue box with vertical sky blue lines on it, my issue is that the UPC codes on the 4 pack and individual boxes are stickers with the part numbers and UPC codes and are not printed to the boxes? could this be a issue of fakeness? I ran the UPC barcode numbers on a BAR code site that can trace the origin the individual box UPC are different from the 4 pack UPC the individual codes traced backed to DENSO Sales Inc. Longo, CA whereas no BAR code site has info on the 4 pack box UPC origins? The tips due have the Blue luster Hue color the individual boxes are dated year 2010,tried calling DENSO sales Longo,CA no one answered so left a message. Is there anyway to make sure these are the real McCoys using the UPC codes or can they also be copied and used a fraud, what really bothers me is the use of stickers on both boxes that have the part # and UPC not actually are printed to the boxes, like at a dealership or parts stores.

Last edited:
Don't know about auto parts but at times I've seen stickers over UPC codes on packaged food. Sometimes changes are made to UPC codes and it's cheaper to sticker the boxes that are left over or impractical to get new boxes printed in time before inventory of that item runs out.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Don't know about auto parts but at times I've seen stickers over UPC codes on packaged food. Sometimes changes are made to UPC codes and it's cheaper to sticker the boxes that are left over or impractical to get new boxes printed in time before inventory of that item runs out.

I tried to peal back the stickers to see underneath but they are glued so well I'd end up ripping the box, I went to autozone had the girl pull up a box of alternative DENSO long life Iridiums model SKhr2011 lot#3421 which is the newer alternative to the ones I bought and the whole box setup is different its solid blue,smaller sized with no vertical sky blue lines, pulled a plug out and it seemed to be of cheaper quality than the ones I have but the UPCs and Part#s were printed to the boxes, supposedly Autozone buys direct from DENSO, the kicker is DENSO has factorys all over the world that they source parts from including 22 plants in China so im not quite sure even if Toyota corp sells a true made in Japan alternative plug for my application.

just watched this, don't know if I feel better now
smirk2.gif
ROCKAUTO

Last edited:
I would think rock auto buys direct from the companies they sell. Although when I just did my Bosch brakepads I got from them I had to grind quite a bit off of the ears to get them to slide in which I've never had to do with Bosch.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
I guess anything's possible, but I seriously doubt a reputable business like RockAuto would be selling counterfeit parts.

Not intentionally.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that Rock Auto sources parts from a place in Texas that buys up parts from places that are closing down. China might make some authentic company approved parts but that does not ensure that other places in China are producing lower grade look a likes. Remember the baby formula that was adulterated with paint a few years ago!

On the other hand I found a $400 power steering hose for a friends Land Rover for about $30 at Rock Auto.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
How much were these spark plugs?
$8.10 a plug, was quoted at $21.55 per plug from a Toyota dealer for their supposedly OEM DENSO version #90919-01266 which would have to be ordered
ROCKAUTO

Originally Posted by D1dad
I would think rock auto buys direct from the companies they sell.

Originally Posted by borgward
I read somewhere (maybe here) that Rock Auto sources parts...

Rockauto doesn't buy and sell anything. They just re-sell parts from auto parts distributors or wholesalers and have those places direct-ship them to customers.

I looked into the counterfeit "signs" a while ago and it's either Denso or NGK that has all sorts of details on what to look for in counterfeit plugs vs 'real' plugs. My first thought was, "that's genius, you've just told the counterfeiters how/where they need to make improvements" !!!

I guess anything's possible, but I seriously doubt a reputable business like RockAuto would be selling counterfeit parts.

Not intentionally.

Of course not intentionally. But I would think, given their reputation, that they did their due diligence to ensure the parts they sell are legit.

Wondering if there is a way to determine if a plug is iridium? Like how to analyze the physical characteristics of it rather that depending on markings.

Wondering if there is a way to determine if a plug is iridium? Like how to analyze the physical characteristics of it rather that depending on markings.

Sure, if one happens to have access to an alloy tester.

I'm not a basher or fan of RA. Sometimes its better to see the part in hand before purchasing for piece of mind. The ease of returning is a lot these stressful too.

Originally Posted by jrvn
just watched this, don't know if I feel better now
smirk2.gif
ROCKAUTO

Another useless Pat Goss video. In another he says buy only OEM oil filters from the dealer. Now when RA is sponsoring this show, RA sourced parts are OK.

IMHO I don't think RA intentionally sells fake parts. But they do source parts from closeouts and buyouts and excess from mergers, and so they might pick up just about anything that way.

I've had very good luck with RA, but I will readily concede that if there is a problem, it's not going to get handled as quickly, painlessly and cost-free as, say, Amazon. Meaning, you may have to pay return shipping for their mistake, and they won't cross-ship on your word. You'll be out of your money and you'll have to re-order or just wait for your part to be received before they send the next one.

Not intentionally.

Of course not intentionally. But I would think, given their reputation, that they did their due diligence to ensure the parts they sell are legit.

I think ROCKAUTO is not different than AutoZone or other car part stores they are just buyers/sellers of whatever the manufactorers are making and will trust their (the manufactorers) judgement as to quality. only problem for the consumer is a right to know the country of origin to help them make a thought out purchase, If someone is ok with buying a cheaper version made in Malaysia that's ok with me, but this box of plugs I have really doesn't distinctively say MADE IN JAPAN anywhere on it although it does have the DENSO corporate address, Japan and just DENSO JAPAN stamped on the plug doesn't mean its a real Japanese plug, but it also doesn't mean if its made elsewhere it isn't a DENSO made product, hopefully the quality hasn't been compromised
smirk.gif
I don't really know.

Last edited:

It can be done using a scanning electron microscope with energy dispersive spectroscopy. These are routinely found in a comprehensive metallurgical laboratory. I routinely do work like this.

I have been tasked at times to evaluate possible counterfeit parts. Besides physical testing, the packaging is also evaluated during investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back