More Counterfeit NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

Most of us have heard of this. Until today I had not seen this personally. I bought a 4-pack of NGK BPR6EIX from a supposedly reputable online dealer. I've installed A LOT of NGK Iridium IX plugs and these new ones just didn't look correct right out of the box. Under closer inspection, they aren't.

My photos show two different part numbers, one with a projected tip and one without, but you'll get the point. On a real Iridium IX the 3 black stripes on the porcelain insulator are bold and very precise. On the new plugs they are 3 different widths and look like they were drawn on with a Sharpie by an over-caffeinated clown.

The clincher is the poorly made ground electrode. A genuine one is very sharply cut. The electrode on the right is poorly stamped and has badly rounded edges. There is simply no way NGK made that. The center electrode doesn't have the proper tip shape, either.

Now I need a polite way of calling an online retailer a thief.
IMGP2352c.JPG
IMGP2353c.JPG

I got a set of fakes from Amazon. It may not be the retailer's fault entirely as many of them will drop ship parts from other locations without physically seeing the part beforehand. Technically that is their fault as they should verify every product they sell. This is why I go to my local NAPA for spark plugs. I can pull it out of the box and inspect it prior to purchase.

EDIT: Amazon acknowledged the fakes and gave me a full refund without any problems.

There must be enough of a profit for them to counterfeit NGK plugs. However a couple of years ago I bought some NGK IX plugs from Rock Auto and they were only around $4.50/ea, certainly not expensive hopefully they were not counterfeit.

Whimsey

The only retailer I've had good luck with online for NGK plugs has been NAPA (not a sponsor). I got a set of IX plugs for my Mitsubishi the other week and they were genuine.

There must be enough of a profit for them to counterfeit NGK plugs. However a couple of years ago I bought some NGK IX plugs from Rock Auto and they were only around $4.50/ea, certainly not expensive hopefully they were not counterfeit.

Whimsey

They are 10 bucks a piece in local parts stores

The average DIY has no chance because he doesn't have Geniune plug for side by side comparison. I'd just buy from the manufacture or dealer. Ed

Bought Motorcraft plugs, received fakes exactly like what you have there, only with blue stripes and Motorcraft. Bought on ebay.

Seller refunded money and said keep em, he has about 5000 positive reviews though.

I purchased OE Motorcraft plugs at Advance Auto Parts that same day and there is an obvious difference in quality and box.

I ran into the same stuff with aquapel window treatment (think rain-x only better)
tons of fakes on amazon esp. this is fulfilled by amazon too.
i was 75% fake rate on amazon..
ebay was 20% fake.

[
The average DIY has no chance because he doesn't have Geniune plug for side by side comparison.

That's not entirely true. NGK has a bunch of information out there about how to identify counterfeit plugs. It changes over time though, as the counterfeiters up their game.

Did you get the confirmation from NGK and get it resolved with retailer? I’m still interested to know who it was so I can avoid them.

Did you get the confirmation from NGK and get it resolved with retailer? I’m still interested to know who it was so I can avoid them.
I have not received a reply from NGK but I will pester them some more today. The vendor was in Kentucky. I'm not naming them until they have refunded my money.

Gives real meaning to authorized retailer versus just retailer. I think authorized means they buy only direct from the manufacturer. Although here the retailer has yet to be revealed.

OK, even though the suspect plugs shipped and received from Kentucky, this is where my refund came from:

mail.google.com_mail_u_0_.png

I haven't heard an official verdict from NGK, and at this point I don't need one, but I was told there could be some back and forth between Michigan and Japan and it could take time.
The eBay vendor was 5starautoparts2015.

Back