Spark Plugs: NGK IX Iridium v. NGK Double Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh oops! I was supposed to put stuff on the actual threads!? I thought I was just supposed to put stuff on the insulator! Will it hurt anything not having it on there? Or should I go take them out and buy some and put some on there?

Last edited:
nothing urgent, but i'd get them out when you have the time and put some Permatex Anti-seize (silver) on them....

Quote:

Oh oops! I was supposed to put stuff on the actual threads!? I thought I was just supposed to put stuff on the insulator! Will it hurt anything not having it on there? Or should I go take them out and buy some and put some on there?

I would. A coil of aluminum threads is never a pretty sight when you're removing something from threaded aluminum! It's unlikely to happen if you remove your plugs regularly, but I like to use a little anti-seize anyway.

The NGK Iridium IX plugs are marketed for performance, while the OE NGK plugs are designed for longevity. This is not to say the Iridium IX plugs are not capable of going the distance, but I recall reading somewhere that 60-80k miles is the recommended change interval for the Iridium IX, versus 100k for the OE type.

I removed them and put some anti-seize on them today. One of my plugs (plug number 4), the metal area where the socket attaches to was all corroded already! any idea why this could've happened? It's not rusted, it just looks corroded (like a battery terminal would). I scraped it off and re-seated it. I'm thinking that maybe some of the boot protector grease got on it, would that cause it?

Quote:

ThirdeYe,

Anti-seize compound and dielectric grease are not the same product!
shocked.gif

The anti-seize goes on the threads. Dielectric grease goes on the inside of the boot to keep it from gluing itself to the spark plug.
wink.gif

Note: Dielectric grease = silicone grease, AKA Dow Corning 111.

Yes I know now
laugh.gif
I purchased dielectric for the insulator/boot, and separate anti-seize for the threads. I just originally had only the dielectric on the insulators but no anti-seize on the threads, but that's fixed now
smile.gif
just not too sure about plug 4, if it's anything to be concerned about.

Quote:

Yes I know now
laugh.gif
I purchased dielectric for the insulator/boot, and separate anti-seize for the threads. I just originally had only the dielectric on the insulators but no anti-seize on the threads, but that's fixed now
smile.gif

if you are talking a nice bronze/brown color on the threads, don't worry one bit about it....

I just installed the NGK iridiums with a new wire set in my pickup. Could be just in my mind, but truck seems to have better response. Old plugs were Bosch plat (15,000 miles)just want to try the Iridiums. If the plugs are plated I don't use antiseize (just only on "black" plugs)since that is what the plating does. I only remove plugs on a cold engine, and use a torque wrench. Never had a removal problem...but, to each his own. I do use abit of dielectric grease on the boots.

The NGK Iridiums are original in my 2003 Civic Hybrid with 104,000 km on them. I believe the manual says not to change them until 180,000 km. With the car turning off at every stop light it will be easy to tell when I need new ones. I am not looking forward to the change however - I will need eight of them! Two per cylinder. I am almost afraid to price them out!

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I know now
laugh.gif
smile.gif

if you are talking a nice bronze/brown color on the threads, don't worry one bit about it....

No it was actually on the part right below the insulator, the part where the wrench goes around to screw it in. It was covered in what looked like road salt corrosion (although I know it wasn't salt) I was thinking that maybe that grease dried on it or something, but I dont know what the effects of the dielectric is on metal/aluminum

That's what i'm thinking, maybe some of the grease got on the aluminum from when I put it on the insulator. The plug I pulled before it didn't have any of that stuff on it, so that's what i'm thinking it is.

back to the topic on hand...

why is that iridium and platinum plugs require less voltage to create a spark (are more efficient), or so they say,
even though Ir and Pt have lower conductivity than Cu ?

When I picked up a set of NGK Iridiums for my car I emailed NGK to ask them approximately how long they are good for, and they said it varies (obviously) but they would be approximately good for about 50-60k. Same with their single platinums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back