DENSO 150-1010 CUT OPEN -- PICTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: damanwitdaplan
Only problem with this filter is the leaf spring. Coil springs are better.

How and why are they better?

Based on the pictures that started this thread, which was a filter that'd been used for a 6,000 mile OCI, am I safe to run those filters for 7,500 mile OCIs?

"""Thats nothing great,many are 99-98% @ 20microns including the yellow P1"""

You are as wrong as wrong can be Mobil-1 lover---the 14610 has that efficiency rating at 40 microns, not 20

Steve

Do efficiency ratings really matter ?????
21.gif

As long as you change the filter once a year you should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: daman
Thats nothing great,many are 99-98% @ 20microns including the yellow P1

Agreed. Nothing great. But not horrible either. Keep in mind, not all PureOne filters are rated at 20 microns. The smaller ones, such as the PL14610, all seem to be rated at 40 microns.

Originally Posted By: daman
Looks like no filters available for my applications,looks like there market is aimed at foreign cars mostly.

You might want to try their cross-reference lookup and see if you can find one. Their vehicle part finder doesn't show any results for my 2007 Saturn VUE, but a cross-reference of another filter turns up the part.

Very frequently misunderstood. Most automotive filters are rated to the manufacturers spec. Most of those specs are "nominal" rating, or 50%, most of these are around 20µ.
Other OEMs spec 98 or 99% efficiency, normally around 40 to 45µ.
98% efficiency at 20µ would be way to restrictive for a car engine unless it was supersize. There would not be enough flow.

As for the springs, the flat ones often cannot hold enough pressure against the seal after several months of usage.

It is a very different Denso from the ones I've cut (from Japan):
stacks_image_1066_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: widman

Very frequently misunderstood. Most automotive filters are rated to the manufacturers spec. Most of those specs are "nominal" rating, or 50%, most of these are around 20µ.
Other OEMs spec 98 or 99% efficiency, normally around 40 to 45µ.
98% efficiency at 20µ would be way to restrictive for a car engine unless it was supersize. There would not be enough flow.

See link below. This is flow vs pressure delta data from Purolator (lab flow test machine) on a PureOne (PL14006) which isn't really that large. At 12 GPM with hot oil (5w-30, 203 deg F), the PSID was ~ 5 psi. That isn't very restrictive fore a 99.9% @ 20 micron filter IMO.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Cut open another today. As before, it looks great after a 6K mile OCI. This angle shows the bypass valve on the bottom. Using a phillips head screwdriver, I confirmed that it opens when a bit of pressure is applied. I had a UOA done at the end of the OCI during which this filter was used. Insolubles were 0.2%, so the filter seems to do a fine job.
DSCF1077s.jpg

I measured the media earlier today. It was about 2 1/4 inches wide by 41 3/4 inches long. That calculates to an area of about 94 square inches.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I wonder what they mean by torque stopper.

The filter housing bottoms out on the attachment flange when you install it. This compresses the o-ring to a set value and you can't (well, shouldn't) be able to tighten it any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back