delvac 1 5w40 dumbing down their additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
called mobil and asked them about mobil dumbing down their additives in the new cj-4 oil..tech support said they are going to cut the amts of zinc and phos...take that for whats its worth..no more delvac 1 for me!!!
tombstone.gif

I'm not aware of any major company that isn't going to offer old hdeo and cj-4 next year ( with the latter at about a 20% premium). Did you ask them whether you could get old delvac? Because I can get old delo and new cj4 delo.

I've got to see what they sell before I reach your conclusion since if they have to improve the base oils to make up for the add pack changes - I still may want the new CJ4.

well, bctdoubleduce, I doubt that the flagship offering is going to be anything but the best that the market has to offer. It's way to rich for my blood ..but I doubt that they'll just take out additives and not compensate with others. zinc and phos were probably just the cheapest way to get there.

If you would read up on what is needed for CJ-4 and why
you would see its not a "dumbing down of additives" its
what is required for the spec.
Diesel particulate(sp?) filter etc
Also until 2010 or 2011 they will be offering ci-4 plus
in parallel (not replaced by cj-4) so no worries.

is delvac 1 only for diesel motors? my BMW calls for 5W-40 oil... can it take delvac 1?

how do the CJ-4/CI-4 specs match up to SM/SL specs?

Benny:

Many people have used Delvac 1 5W-40 in their gasoline engines. Do some searches and I'm sure you'll pull up many references to this oil.

As far as SM versus CI-4, I'm not sure you can really compare those specs, as the S* specs are for gasoline engines and gthe C* specs are for diesel engines. See this PDF document for more info:
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/ShelfCard_English.pdf

Benny: I forgot to mention, according to Mobil's web site, Delvac 1 "...also meets the API SL specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets."

I agree with Gary. "Dumbing down" is a mischaracterization of the situation. Certain additives are being phased out, and will ultimately be overcompensated for with improvements elsewhere.

An effective motor oil formula is a combination of many factors and considerations, and one can't fairly judge anything on the existence or weight of one or two additive components. In all the years I've been dealing with oils, the overall formulation technology has only moved in one direction. One can also argue that the better the base, the less additives are needed.

I'm sure the latest Delvac 1 formula will be at least as good as the last one. I suspect you'll see some significant base improvements, among other tweaks.

They will surely have to add new additive chemistry into Delvac-1. You can not simply reduce ZDDP and Phos. with out replaceing it with something else. Cam shafts in commercial diesels would self destruct if all they did was reduce current additive chemistry. It is not like engine oil for gasoline cars. In many cases a lot of company's simply reduced their additive packages at first with no problems. Latter they started to add more moly,born or better VII's. The valve train loading on most OEM gasoline engines is really low as compared to commercial disels.Mobil-1 will have tested the new Delvac-1 in fleets long before it is released to prevent law suites from commercial clients!

If anything cj-4 spec will be more gasoline friendly
try reading up on why they have to change the additives.
I'm not exactly bashing this post but dumbing down isnt anywhere close to the reasons that the additives are being changed.

According to George Morrison (who works for a Mobil Jobber), Delvac 1 will change over to a CJ-4 formulation on 15 October. They will continue to offer two different 15w-40's with CJ-4 and CI-4+ add packs.

Expect the new Delvac 1 to be CJ-4/SM like the new Amsoil 5w-40. Lower ash and phosphorus levels,so compatability with gas engines will be better.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back