Delo for high mileage ford 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 1992 Ford F-250 w/7.3L 460 pushing near 200,000 mi. I'm just wondering whether or not Delo 15W40 would be good for this application. We live in a warm/hot climate and the vehicle is driven around 30 miles a day with an occassional 90 mile drive. To the best of my knowledge this truck has not had a problem with consuming oil. I'm still new to the oil game, so any input would be appreciated.

Delo 15w40 is an awesome oil, I prefer it over any 10w40.
cool.gif

Thanks for the input, I know the owner's manual stipulates a 5W-30, but was noticing the use of Delo in a number of truck applications. I realized that I mislabeled the engine in my previous post, I believe it is actually 7.5L on the 460. Also, would a motorcraft filter along with the Delo be the best bet on this engine?

I normely recommend Delo for most older engines but your Dads truck is not old, well used but, not old. I think the clearnces inside the engines in 92 were tighter than a 78 or so. If its not using any oil between oil changes then stick to the 5W30 as the 15W40 will take more power to push through the tighter engines and the crappy truck milage could get worse. At 200K miles your doing something right so dont start doing a bad thing now. Just my 2 cents worth. I use 15W40 in most of my old Mopars and lawn/power equipment. But in my wifes 98 Buick it gets 5W30 @ 7000 OCI. DaveJ

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you providing your reasoning behind sticking with 5W30, this has definitely been a dependable engine despite its desire to consume an amazing amount of fuel. In that case I think I may keep it on Mobil Clean 5W30 and a motorcraft filter.

I sure don't claim to be an oil expert, so I usually follow factory advice, and I run 15-40 Delo or whatevers on sale, or 15-40 SuperTech if nothings on sale in my 201,000 mile '72 MOPAR 318. When I switched to 15-40 from 10-30 whatevers on sale, I didn't notice any change in fuel consumption.

But, in any case; what's the factory operating handbook for the vehicle say? I'd be surprised if 15-40 isn't an option, but maybe not. be worthwhile to find out in my opinion...

My $0.02

p.s. notice San Luis Obispo, if its anything like Fresno tomorrow, you NEED 15-40 (IMHO)

Well, the truck is actually in Hanford, which is about 40 mins south of Fresno. I go to school in SLO which is nothing like Fresno's climate (much, much cooler). To the best of my knowledge the owner's manual recommends 5W-30, but I don't have it in front of me to reference. I'm sure the truck would also fair well on 10W-30 as well, but I don't want to use anything that would have any averse affects on the motor.

I switched to Rotella T 5w-40 for an oil change in a Ford box van with the 460 motor. Noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption. It only had 160K miles.
Cal Poly at one time offered a fuels and lube class in the MechAg department. Might be worth looking into. Fun class.

I have an '83 F250 with a 460. I also live in a climate similar to Hanford. I tried Delo 400 15W-40, but noticed that the oil pressure was way high upon startup, and the engine seemed to struggle with it.

I switched to Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 and have noticed that not only is the startup oil pressure lower, but the engine runs smoother at all times with this oil. I also switched from a stock Motorcraft FL1a to a Wix 51773, which is an oversized filter. They are also sold at Napa as the Napa Gold 1773. I like this combination very much.

If you find it hard to get Wix/Napa filters at a reasonable price, then try one of these websites:

http://www.filter1.com/

http://www.fleetfilter.com/

If you have a Chevron destributor nearby, you can substitute Delo 400 Synthetic 5W-40 for the Rotella. I went the Rotella route because it is readily available at Walmart, and it is reasonably priced.

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

One of my company vans, a 96' Ford E350 460 7.5, has 337K miles on it using only 10w-30 and cheap filters. That also might work for you.

I would look at the oil pressure. If it is holding factory spec (should be 40-65 psi at 2000 rpm) then stay with a 10w30. I have a 1990 460 with 80,000 miles and it gets 60 psi hot on 10w30. No way will I try to run a 40 weight in that.

Wow, thanks for all of the information, it gives me a base to start from, I think for now I'll stick to the factory recommended 5W30 in the interest in not wanting to do any harm. Since oil consumption hasn't been an issue (or so my dad has informed me) I can't quite justify wanting to move to anything heavier. I will definitely look into an oversized filter for this application though, getting a WIX filter at napa should not be a problem.

Hannaco, I looked into that class and unfortunately it is no longer offered, bummer. There is however one offered on the internal combustion engine, so I may take that if offered next quarter.

I would go with 10w30. Since you are in a warm climate there is really no need and negligible advantabe to a 5w30 for cold startup. You may find the heavy duty motor oil in 10w30 at a truck supply.

Do you have Advance Auto stores? They can order the Purolator L40017 for $6. The Puro L40017 is a very nice filter with the Motorcraft style threaded end bypass valve. Cross refs the Motorcraft FL299, which is the longer version of the FL1A.

Running 10w30 would be optimal as that is what I run in my Toyota. I have plenty of Mobile Clean, so I might as well use what I have. Thanks for the tip on the filter, the pep boys back home carries the purolator line of filters so finding it shouldn't be a problem either. You guys have been very helpful, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back