Delo 400 vs Delo 600, vs Delvac 1300

Guys - I've been using Delo 400 for years without any trouble until now. The problem I have with it is that it's very hard to find, so I was wondering if Delo 600 is a better option, and if so, what are the differences. I'm also considering switching to Delvac 1300. It seems to be more readily available. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated....

Go by what's most available to you. Just to verify though... Some people think these are all the same, but Delo is made by Chevron, while Delvac is made by ExxonMobil. Going from Delo 400/600 (which is synthetic) to Delvac 1300 (which is conventional-ish) is downgrade in terms of overall performance, but an upgrade in terms of $aving$. Comparable product to Delo 400/600 from Mobil line-up would be Delvac Extreme. Or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.

Extreme pressure? Is this a gearbox or an engine?

Good point kschachn, I probably should've just said AW, since its better to regard the "E" in "EP" for gearbox applications.

OP, just be aware that if you value the MTU spec, Delvac 1300 doesn't have that

15W40/ 10W30 Conventional for H.E.U.I. Injector Diesel engines. 10W30/ 5W40 Synthetic for a Common Rail modern Diesel, 15W40 Conventional if Common Rail is used in high heat conditions and high load is fine also.

H.E.U.I.'s will shear 5W40 Synthetic fairly quick. 15W40 Conventional does not shear too much, it will shear down to a 30W over a much longer time frame.

I use Delvac 1300 in a H.E.U.I. 7.3L cause I get it so cheap. I have ran the old school Delo 400, 15W40 Conventional when I was doing some Hiway long hauls for 10K miles, no problems. That oil does not exist any longer.

P.S. You can't find Delo? Its the most commonly used oil of all the companies I have worked at that did transportation for over 35 years.

Eta, Have you tried big truck repair and parts houses, you might have to buy a 5 gallon pail at worst.

Last edited:
Guys - I've been using Delo 400 for years without any trouble until now. The problem I have with it is that it's very hard to find, so I was wondering if Delo 600 is a better option, and if so, what are the differences. I'm also considering switching to Delvac 1300. It seems to be more readily available. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated....
2015 2500 HD Duramax

Go by what's most available to you. Just to verify though... Some people think these are all the same, but Delo is made by Chevron, while Delvac is made by ExxonMobil. Going from Delo 400/600 (which is synthetic) to Delvac 1300 (which is conventional-ish) is downgrade in terms of overall performance, but an upgrade in terms of $aving$. Comparable product to Delo 400/600 from Mobil line-up would be Delvac Extreme. Or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.
Is Delo 400 SDE synthetic? I didn't think it was. If it is, I should probably stick with Delo. Is the 600 ADF much better ?

I tow long distances about 2 times per year. Other than that I drive the truck only for errands around town about once a week. I'm concerned about the DPF clogging, and I hear that Delo 600 helps prevent DPF clogging. Is this true. and is it a good lubricating oul as Delo 400 was?

I tow long distances about 2 times per year. Other than that I drive the truck only for errands around town about once a week. I'm concerned about the DPF clogging, and I hear that Delo 600 helps prevent DPF clogging. Is this true. and is it a good lubricating oul as Delo 400 was?
Delo 600 was specifically designed and marketed to prolong the time between DPF cleaning for semi's in truck fleets. 0.4 ash is very low.

Slugo -
In terms of wear rates, it simply won't matter to your Dmax. I owned an LBZ for 12 years. I also have over 600 UOAs collected on this whole engine series, from the LB7 up to today's itteration. I can tell you with 100% certainty that any API certified lube for your application won't make any difference whatsoever in terms of wear control; they all do a fine job and the Dmax is particularly immune to brand/grade choices. If you live in an area that gets uber-stupid cold (routinely below -20F), then syns make for a good choice in regard to easier starting.

As for emmisions equipment, the newest lubes are also made for that concern as well. Delo 600 is very good in that regard. There are also some additives you can use which also help with that. I know that wwillson uses a product that helps make the emmissions system function better; you may reach out to him and ask, as I don't recall what he's using.

Slugo -
In terms of wear rates, it simply won't matter to your Dmax. I owned an LBZ for 12 years. I also have over 600 UOAs collected on this whole engine series, from the LB7 up to today's itteration. I can tell you with 100% certainty that any API certified lube for your application won't make any difference whatsoever in terms of wear control; they all do a fine job and the Dmax is particularly immune to brand/grade choices. If you live in an area that gets uber-stupid cold (routinely below -20F), then syns make for a good choice in regard to easier starting.

As for emmisions equipment, the newest lubes are also made for that concern as well. Delo 600 is very good in that regard. There are also some additives you can use which also help with that. I know that wwillson uses a product that helps make the emmissions system function better; you may reach out to him and ask, as I don't recall what he's using.
Thank you very much for this information. I'm sure that most of you are more experienced with this than I am...

In my opinion, Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40 is a very good HDEO. I used it in my semi truck with a factory remanufactured pre-EPA Detroit Series 60 engine, for 15,000 mile intervals, for roughly the first 150,000 miles of it’s life, and it performed flawlessly. I wouldn’t hesitate to run it in my motor again.

I’m also of the opinion that any HDEO that’s been approved by your engine’s manufacturer, and changed at their recommended intervals is going to do a fine job protecting your engine.

I’ve been using Chevron Delo 400 XLE semi synthetic 15W40 for the last few years, and lately it’s been hard to find locally. I’ve been contemplating switching back to Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, (which has also hard for me to find locally,) but I recently found Chevron Delo 400 SDE 15W40 at my local Walmart, so I bought enough for my next two PM services.

So in short, don’t be at all concerned to switch to Mobil Delvac 1300 Super in your Duramax. In my experience, it’s an excellent HDEO.

15W40/ 10W30 Conventional for H.E.U.I. Injector Diesel engines. 10W30/ 5W40 Synthetic for a Common Rail modern Diesel, 15W40 Conventional if Common Rail is used in high heat conditions and high load is fine also.

H.E.U.I.'s will shear 5W40 Synthetic fairly quick. 15W40 Conventional does not shear too much, it will shear down to a 30W over a much longer time frame.

I use Delvac 1300 in a H.E.U.I. 7.3L cause I get it so cheap. I have ran the old school Delo 400, 15W40 Conventional when I was doing some Hiway long hauls for 10K miles, no problems. That oil does not exist any longer.

P.S. You can't find Delo? Its the most commonly used oil of all the companies I have worked at that did transportation for over 35 years.

Eta, Have you tried big truck repair and parts houses, you might have to buy a 5 gallon pail at worst.
This is not the case for HEUI. The 5w40 full synthetic is better for the oil pressure driven fuel injection. And the 5w40 totally eliminates sticion. Here is an article.

This is not the case for HEUI. The 5w40 full synthetic is better for the oil pressure driven fuel injection. And the 5w40 totally eliminates sticion. Here is an article.

Yeah hmm. “Tighter tolerances”.

Why is it that once I see that everything else gets relegated to inconsequence?

Back