Delo 400 "New formula"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I apologize if this horse has been beaten to death already. I did a quick search and scan and didn't really find the answer to this. I read this board for a long time before settling on using Delo 400 in my Powerstroke(7.3). Read a lot of good things about it.

I don't put that many miles on my truck but it had been a while so last night I decided to go ahead and change my oil. When I went to get oil I noticed right off that the Delo400 bottle said it was some sort of new formula. Low emission or something. I'm just wondering if it is still regarded as a very good oil overall or if folks have switched to something else due to this "new formula". I also noticed that Delo400 was the higher priced of the three they had at wally world. Delo400 used to be as cheap or cheaper than Rotella-T. Just like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

David

It's probably the new CJ-4 formulation. If it shows the same results as the new CJ-4 Shell Rotella T it will work fine in your Ford. Chevron know what they are doing.

I haven't kept up on the new formulations so I'm not going to pretend I know anything about them. I will check the label when I get home and see if it is "CJ-4". Thanks.

I checked and the label did say CJ-4. Would someone be so kind as to to explain to me what exactly is different about this "new" formula...and why they changed it? Just curious at this point.

The only thing that scared me was the 399F flashpoint of the LE vs the 460F flashpoint of the CI4+ formulation. Something just seems odd about a huge reduction like that.

IMHO, watch your soot #s-supposedly some CJ-4 HDEOs have lessened soot handling capability than CI-4 had, I'm personally sticking to CI-4 in my older stuff. Not sure how Delo has done, the old stuff was as good as any other dino oil.

""IMHO, watch your soot # supposedly some CJ-4 HDEOs have lessened soot handling capability than CI-4 had"""

The newer CJ-4 has better soot handling than the old CI-4
bruce

As a matter of fact, I was just at my local UFA and after searching through all their 5 gallon pails of Delo LE- lo and behold I found one pail of CI4+...
Great find.

You can still get CI+4 if you're buying in bulk. So if you don't mind buying a drum, lol, you can still get the old formulation. The older CI+4 oil used better base stocks. The reason why they still make the old stuff available in bulk quanitites is big trucking companies are not sold on the new CJ-4 in the older engines being a good product even though oil refiners say it's backwards compatible and just fine. Lot's of guys fret over the new stuff I just figure as long as it's dumped and changed out frequently and sooner than recommended it will be ok. Cummins recommends 15K intervals on my engine but I'm chnaging every 5K and probably tossing out perfectly good oil..

To be honest, I am very curious about the new Delo LE. But winter is coming- so it is going to have to wait until next year.

Quote:

CI-4+ will continue to be sold for quite a while as the most engine manufactures now allow you to run CI-4+ oils in the 07+ engines.

Did I read that right that you say CI4+ can be run in most 2007+ engines? I thought for the most part you can only run CJ4 in 2007+
dunno.gif

Quote:

You can still get CI+4 if you're buying in bulk. So if you don't mind buying a drum, lol, you can still get the old formulation. The older CI+4 oil used better base stocks. The reason why they still make the old stuff available in bulk quanitites is big trucking companies are not sold on the new CJ-4 in the older engines being a good product even though oil refiners say it's backwards compatible and just fine. Lot's of guys fret over the new stuff I just figure as long as it's dumped and changed out frequently and sooner than recommended it will be ok. Cummins recommends 15K intervals on my engine but I'm chnaging every 5K and probably tossing out perfectly good oil..

Why do you think the CI+4 was formulated with better basestocks. I don't think they would reduce oil quality, but I don't have proof. Could you provide a link to your info. I use Delo at this time, if the basestocks are poorer now, I might reconsider that use.
Thanks in advance
Greg Harrison

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you think the CI+4 was formulated with better basestocks. I don't think they would reduce oil quality, but I don't have proof. Could you provide a link to your info. I use Delo at this time, if the basestocks are poorer now, I might reconsider that use.
Thanks in advance
Greg Harrison

I can't see Chevron going backwards with their basestocks. It is still Iso Syn technology. Also, CJ4 is (supposed) to be better. But the UOA's will tell all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back