Delay in getting insurance for 1966 Biscayne

I think Geico originally stood for Government Employees Insurance Company. (I could be wrong).
Way back around 1965 (yes, I’m old)
I wanted to sign on with Geico. Got turned down but they would be happy to sign me up with their affiliated company Criterian Insurance, at a much higher price. I told them to go pound salt. Have never looked at Geico again.

Reactions: JC1
Geico are the the scum below the scum. They are trash.

But tell me how you really feel.

Geico is wholly owned by Berkshire Hathaway and has made tons of money for Warren Buffet. How does he do it? Geico originally sold insurance to government employees and other bureaucrats. Those are low risk people where your losses are low. If you're a lousy driver, they don't want you and will get rid of you. If you're good, the premiums are low and they will keep you a while. So of course the bad drivers hate them and the good drivers don't have a problem with them. I've been with them for 7+ years and every once in a while I shop them against other insurance companies and they come out the cheapest. Once Allstate came in about $100 lower, but they had a one time $150 new client discount so once that expired, they would have been higher so I didn't bother switching.

I've been happy with Geico for more than a decade. No claims and I get an extra 20% off as I work for a Berkshire company. I shop every year for auto and home and Geico hasn't had my homeowners yet. Farm Bureau right now.

I got liability insurance on a 1950 Chevy 1.5 ton truck in 10 minutes with a call to USAA. They even emailed proof of insurance while we were on the phone.

Well they finally came through over night and I got my cards.

I'm actually a government employee but not a GS-12 or higher to enjoy their discount in that regard. (Haven't looked in a couple years)

How quickly do you have to register it ? Safe to presume it's not through a car dealer that gave you "temporary" tags. That's how it's done in Ohio. With a private sale, it's not so simple.... Some people bring plates from another car or use the seller's plates in order to get it home. Some will even chance it and drive with no plates. None of which are "legal", of course, but you know it happens.
that's the way i remembered it too, but...they've updated that process... now you CAN get a temp tag for a private party sale. not only that, but you can do it online, and print out your own tag from home...
crazy crazy world these days...

Fixed this for you. Insurance companies are the scum below the scum. I had a water heater leak in my home a few years ago. The insurance company (KY Farm Bureau) wanted me to get an estimate from "their preferred contractor" (Servpro) they quoted between $4-5K. Actual damage ended up being over $25K when I got my own contractor to give me an estimate. Then I had to threaten to get the state insurance commission involved to get my money. I called the adjuster weeks after the estimate was turned in and he said he needed to look at the damage again. I told him fine but something was going to be done that day or I was getting the state involved. Within an hour he was at my front door with a check and didn't need to look at the damage again. I took their check repaired the damage then changed insurance companies.

Last edited:
I think Geico originally stood for Government Employees Insurance Company. (I could be wrong).
Way back around 1965 (yes, I’m old)
I wanted to sign on with Geico. Got turned down but they would be happy to sign me up with their affiliated company Criterian Insurance, at a much higher price. I told them to go pound salt. Have never looked at Geico again.
Subscribed. I agree with you but will post later because no time now.

they've updated that process... now you CAN get a temp tag for a private party sale. not only that, but you can do it online, and print out your own tag from home...
When did that get implemented, during COVID when the BMVs were closed ?

Subscribed. I agree with you but will post later because no time now.

OK as I prepare this I am already mad. I moved to Cedar city first of May this year. I have had Geico seven years. I had hail damage in Colorado and Montana two years before that. Geico paid but they have no option under contract. So that went well. I bought a car new to me 2014 Chrysler 300 all-wheel-drive. I had it for two days when a woman didn’t stop coming out of the parking lot. Fortunately she was witnessed by the sergeant of Utah Highway patrol. She didn’t have a chance. I notified Geico and they prepared the claim or so I thought. Lady tells me I just bought the car iso they had to investigate for fraud. That burned me and I said you’re implying I did fraud. Response was they were not implying that. So I was angry at this point and said well you’re either blaming the lady that hit me or me. I was a little bit Irate and screaming at this point she apologized And referred me to another number.
No help there. I called back the following day and they told me they don’t have an adjuster in Utah so we’ll have to submit pictures. Not my pictures but someone who comes to the state and I pay $50 But he won’t come for at least a week.At this time I’m ready to blast off for sure. I went to State Farm as I had them before and It was the lady’s insurance company. That was on a Thursday. They did a short review and said they excepted responsibility and my shop was contacted and I drop the car off on Monday two work days afterward.
I got a call within two days from Geico and told him where to get off. Same lady I dealt with the day before called me back and said they’re still waiting on the pictures. At this point I was yellingnsaying that I dropped Geico and never call me again. Same lady Calls me back the next day and said they’re waiting for the pictures Another angry response By me and they apologized.
Several days later same lady calls saying they miss me and they want me to come back. No response by me at this point.
My car was fixed in a reasonable time. Another call came from Geico saying they wanted pictures. I think I used profanity at this point when I called back and left the ladies ears bleeding. I posted this on another forum and within an hour an attorney called me and said they’re developing a class action suit. They said my description matches everything that others have experienced. Further the attorney said this is the bait and switch game that they play in hopes that you will take a lowball offer. He then said they didn’t get to be number two by paying claims. I didn’t ask to join the suit because I know they would ask for several thousand dollars and the end result would be me getting hardly anything.
since then Geico has sent me a bill for this month when the accident occurred. I have ignored it so now they have a collection against me.
My recommendation is for anybody that has Geico to switch to another company before you need them for a claim.

Over 30 years of driving, one claim for a small starburst on a windshield. They still raise my rates every year, I shop around and still am amazed that no one will give reasonable rates to obviously safe drivers. The insurance for my 20 year old daughter is cheaper than for me because I have a Mustang.

Back on topic, I had Geico for a couple of years but they were not competitive when I shopped them again. I had a local guy, but he lost my business when I called his office and his cell phone multiple times over a 3 day period to insure a car that I just bought. I had Esurance but they nearly doubled my rates in 3 years. Insurance is legalized robbery in my opinion.

American Collectors is another good option with some riders that allow for limited commuting and 7500 miles/yr assuming that you have another primary vehicle. Still requires garaging and whatnot, but could be a better option so you don’t get cancelled when you bump someone in the Burger King parking lot.

Back