Delay in getting insurance for 1966 Biscayne

Picked up a 1966 Biscayne to cruise around in. Has a pre-1980 VIN so the geico website has a few extra steps.

"Click here to add a car."
"Click here to finish adding details, we'll be with you within an hour."
"Sorry, due to heavy volume, it'll be within 24 hours."

It's been more than a day. So much for "15 minutes." Also their phone lines are clogged so I can't see what's up.

Don't get dragged in, if you're trying to do something to get plates within your small town's limited hours open.

The website, like most slimy sales channels, exists to promise you the world while you're filling out info, only to not deliver after you click "submit."

Is Geico your usual insurance company?

This is why I have insurance with a company that has local offices. I use the website but if I have any questions/problems I can talk to a local human.

I wouldn't extrapolate GEICO's response for insurance on a '66 Biscayne to their insurance on modern day cars. Aren't there insurance companies that specialize in old cars?

This is a pretty unique case, not many people are trying to add pre-1980 cars to their GEICO insurance policy.
So the expert on-staff should be able to handle the 1% of cars coming through that the robot can't do.

Try Hagerty or Grundy. They'll be able to insure a 66 Chevy a lot easier (and likely a lot cheaper).

Insurance on the old '52 Chevy is $135 a year with $20,000 value and $0 deductibles.

+1. This.....the only way to go for older cars. Not only that-don’t get into an accident with them either.....

Try Hagerty or Grundy. They'll be able to insure a 66 Chevy a lot easier (and likely a lot cheaper).

Insurance on the old '52 Chevy is $135 a year with $20,000 value and $0 deductibles.
Hope you have a garage for the car or forget Haggerty or Grundy.

So the expert on-staff should be able to handle the 1% of cars coming through that the robot can't do.
I checked on Geiko. They had to inspect any car with over 100k miles. All three of mine had over 100k and their inspection place was in the next state.

title is misleading.. sorta clickbaity like those websites ;)😆

title should be

"Don't use GEICO if you want insurance today on a classic car"

A '66 Biscayne may be a valuable classic or a demo derby candidate. How many doors?

Your insurance should cover a new vehicle purchase for like 2 weeks, so there’s nothing to worry about.
That probably depends on the state.

Never heard of that in my state. Usually to get coverage on something, you need some sort of declaration on what you're covering.

As for Geico, they're 24 hours. Try calling them at midnight if they're too busy during the day. I remember driving to go check out a car out of state and then after paying for it, called them up on the phone on the drive back at 10pm and put insurance on it. I had called them earlier asking about how much insurance would be on a particular vin and they quoted the price to me so they already had it on file when I called them to activate the insurance and it was in effect that day even though I hadn't gotten around to registering it yet.

What are the specs on the Biscayne!

4 doors, 250-6, and a powerglide!

But it's not rusted out. Just upgraded to a 2-pot master cylinder and the original brake line nuts came loose no problem.

I need an insurance card with the VIN on it to register the thing, so any grace period after purchase won't help me directly.

I might be getting one of those trashy tent-garages for my birthday, but only need liability at this point. It's not super-nice by any stretch.

We used Geico for ten years in NY, they were king.

Came down to Texas they raised the rates so bad, we got a good deal with Flo. on our bundle, thru a broker of course.

to register the thing
How quickly do you have to register it ? Safe to presume it's not through a car dealer that gave you "temporary" tags. That's how it's done in Ohio. With a private sale, it's not so simple.... Some people bring plates from another car or use the seller's plates in order to get it home. Some will even chance it and drive with no plates. None of which are "legal", of course, but you know it happens.

Hagerty had my insurance for the Packard processed in a few minutes.

GEICO had my insurance for the other 6 cars (at the time) processed in a few minutes.

I think you need to pick the proper "tool for the job"...

Back