defy warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
heyjay thanks for the toyota au. link. i was thinking of sulphur along the lines of diesel fuel[a guy at work said truckers/engine builders were complaining],or motorcycles. a needed compound in a motor that shares a gearbox,gear oils are full of the stuff.funny,my dealer said mobil makes toyota oil.
spaz.gif

[ March 09, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: moontan ]

Yeah our diesel and gasoline has way more sulfur than European fuels. In Canada we also have that nasty MMT - contains manganese.

I would imagine that in parts of the world that have crudes very high in sulfur, such as South America, the fuel sulfur issue would be critical.

According to the Helm Shop Manual for my 2000 GMC Sierra, the emissions controls are only shipped on trucks going to Europe.

The trucks shipped to the Mid East, Central America, and South America are designed to run on crappy fuels: no O2 sensors, no catalytic convertors, no EGR. The PCM is calibrated to run in Speed Density programme.

The supplier for Toyota oils probably changes yearly. Unless Toyota is willing to publish who their supplier is, like Toyota Australia, it would be the low bidder who meets the oil spec.

Motorcycles are a different beast, as the oil is shared between the motor and transmission. Mobil does offer a synthetic just for motorcycle use that claims to be better for the transmission, synchros, clutch, etc.

Long story short, I still believe in matching my viscosity to my climate and engine load. That's what they do in other parts of the world.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Losiho,
I don't want to put words into HeyJey's mouth, but I think that where he's coming from, is that we don't NEED a 5W-50.....especially not when a 15W-50 is considered acceptable for an area that is heaps colder.

Which is exactly what I meant.

Given that there is no way on earth a dealer will be able to ascertain with 100% certainty what oil is/was being used in an engine, choose whatever makes you feel most comfortable. I'd like to see a modern engine blow and have the dealer say that you were using 10w40 instead of the warranty required 5w30......

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
BTW, there was a big article in the car mags a few years ago, that Toyota had signed a deal, and all of their "Toyota" Brand oils were now being made by Castrol.

Sorry to bring up old threads, but I got a reply direct from Toyota Oz customer service.

Toyota branded oils are made by Caltex. So there 10w30 oil is probably similar to this one :
http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=273

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back