Defence spending

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are the only ones WITH a GDP out of that lot.

Spending half the world's defence smells of paranoia IMO.

Yes, the UK is the second largest arms supplier to developing nations. Major weapons manufacturers include BAE, Cobham, MBD, and Rolls-Royce.

Quote:
DEFINITION: Arms Deliveries to Developing Nations, by supplier, total of years 1992-99.

What constitutes "responsible" defense spending depends on quite a lot of factors.

Bear in mind that the oceans on either side of the US already make defense rather expensive (have to be able to fight effectively on multiple fronts). Additionally, since the US's allies are overseas, there has to be a lot of emphasis on power projection. Even simply being the world's most prosperous country in absolute terms, the US is seen to have an obligation to defend and assist others.

Whether the *current* US defense budget is "responsible", I can't say. But even if it could be cut down, it would still be the biggest in the world.

it must be working, we haven't lost a war yet.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
it must be working, we haven't lost a war yet.
whistle.gif

LOL.gif

Well, we probably won the one in 1991.

No comment
35.gif

34.gif
08.gif

oh, and ewes goiz teow
grin2.gif

..and any other members, great and small, in alliance with the US&friends global defensive umbrella.

(Yes ...I lied
blush.gif
)

Big deal.

By the time I've retired, we'll be talking about China and probably India the same way...of course, the rest of the world is far more enlightened than the U.S. and will have achieved eternal Peace, Love and Harmony by that time.

Nah, we're buying them off. They'll have raging consumers to keep quiet too. It's kinda like a viral infection. A 5th column movement planted within.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back