Dear Mr. Ted Wells, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr. Ted Wells,

Let's start with this disclaimer: I'm from Boston. I grew up a Patriots fan. The fan in me wants to believe the Pats are clean. But as far as Deflategate is concerned, the person in me that has a brain thinks something screwy probably went on. I believed that before the release of your report, and I still believe it now; it just makes the most sense.

Thing is, I don't know what happened . . . and neither do you. But I do know you were supposedly hired to investigate what went on. Instead, all you've told us is you think it's "more probable than not" that the Patriots "generally" may have done something to the footballs. Based on that "probability", Tom Brady has been suspended for four games and the Patriots organization has been slapped with the biggest penalty in the history of professional football.

Naturally, I have a lot of questions but -- unfortunately -- I wasn't invited to sit in on your conference call yesterday with select members of the media. I did listen in and found you to be very entertaining. The tough guy of Torts. I particularly liked your "Who is Karim Garcia?"-type dismissal of Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee.

However, had I been invited to the call, here are the questions I would have asked:

-- Just because you reject the notion that you're biased, does that mean you aren't? If you are biased, would you tell us?

-- If you'd been hired to represent the NFL before, isn't that an inherent conflict whether or not the Patriots complained about it beforehand?

-- Tell us a little bit about the consulting firm Exponent and what it is they were hired to do. In light of what's been reported, would you characterize them as neutral or independent?

-- You said you were able to draw your conclusions that it was "more probable than not" that the Patriots cheated and that you feel you made a compelling case in your report. Why, then, did you need Brady's phone, or another interview with Jim McNally, when you already believed there was a preponderance of evidence suggesting they were guilty? Wouldn't you say the cooperation they did provide actually helped make the case against them?

-- How did handing over a cell phone turn out for Richie Incognito? His punishment was almost solely the result of what he wrote in text messages.

-- In a civil trial, you get to hear from both sides. How can the NFL come to a decision based solely on your report when you didn't include a single word of testimony from Brady, McNally or John Jastremski?

-- What did Brady, McNally and Jastremski say when you asked them about the texts? Isn't that something that everyone -- literally -- would like to know?

-- If, as you say, the NFL didn't take the complaint seriously at first, and then launched what proved to a 103-day investigation, do you think maybe they should have taken it seriously? If it wasn't serious before, why was it serious during and after?

-- When referring to the publishing of Brady's notes, you said they wouldn't change your decision. Why did you use the word "decision"? Were you hired to make a decision, or were you hired to investigate what went on and objectively present your findings?

-- Did you ask the Colts if they deflated the ball they intercepted? If so, what did they say?

-- You say it wasn't a sting operation, but how can you be sure? Did you ask anyone on the Colts for their phones? How about anyone from the NFL? Mike Kensil, perhaps? If there was a preconceived plan to trap the Patriots, wouldn't the information on their phones be relevant?

-- You say officials were made aware of ball deflation well before the game. The head of officiating, Dean Blandino, says the issue was first raised during the game. Which is it?

-- If the officials had been notified ahead of time, how was McNally able to walk into that room, grab a bag of 12 footballs, and then just walk out?

-- If Blandino lied, is it reasonable to conclude it was to cover up a sting?

-- You said on your conference call that the Patriots were all over you from Day 1. In what way?

-- Do you think it's okay that only 4 of the 12 Colts balls were measured?

-- Is it right to assume that the mere act of Brady communicating with McNally and Jastremski is indicative of guilt? Even if he had nothing to do with this at all, don't you think he would still want to talk to them afterwards just to see what happened?

Again, guilty? Maybe. Heck, I don’t know. Probably.

But based on the report, and all the questions it raised, I'm only able to conclude the following: It's more probable than not the league wanted to catch the Patriots in the act. It's more probable than not this investigation would not have taken place if it was any team but the Patriots. It's more probable than not the outcome of this investigation was a foregone conclusion the moment you were hired.

It's also more probable than not that your report will be torn to pieces during the appeals process. And it's more probable than not that you know it.

Sincerely,
John Zannis

John Zannis serves as the Executive Producer of Chevrolet SportsNet Central on Comcast SportsNet.[/b]

A lot has been made of the "more probable than not" terminology used in the report. That terminology was clearly used in reference to the actual NFL policy that the investigation was conducted under. That is, the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules uses the terminology that "the fact sought to be proved is more probable than not."

That the terminology was used in the report is no accident. It was to make clear that based on the investigation at least the minimum standard of proof required by that particular NFL Policy to conclude a violation was met. When organizations agree to be part of the NFL, and players agree to be part of the NFL, they agree to abide by the NFL's policies.

Apparently a lot of people claiming to be experts can't read.

The "terminology" is only the tip of the iceberg of the massive problems the whole investigation has with the bungled job Wells did.

If a everyday sports writer can take Wells and his report apart piece by piece (above), Brady's lawyer, an expert regarding past misdeeds by the NFL, will absolutely slaughter Wells and Goodell in the appeals process.

Its coming, more probably than not!

When you take the emotion and your biased out it. You will find that Mr. Wells actually did a good job of stating his case.

As for more probable than not. This is not a criminal investigation and billions of dollars have changed hands in civil courts under more probable than not.

To call Wells report which has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese as "actually good" is beyond laughable. Didn't you just read the above? A reporter just took...him...APART. Bradys expert lawyer is going to crush them, LOL.

There will be no "emotion and bias" when pointed questions are asked:

-- Did you ask the Colts if they deflated the ball they intercepted? If so, what did they say?

-- Did you ask anyone on the Colts for their phones?

-- You say officials were made aware of ball deflation well before the game. The head of officiating, Dean Blandino, says the issue was first raised during the game. Which is it?

These are "yes or no" questions that WILL be asked. You can try to write it off as "bias and emotion" all you want.

For Goodell, the NFL, and Wells, their nightmare is just about to begin. (more probably than not, LOL).

FROM YAHOO, Re Ted Wells:

Ted Wells has a clear history of making incorrect claims, his firm defended big tobacco claiming second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer, that Toyata's were not actually accelerating and killing people, Chevron's toxic chemicals dumped in rivers wasn't really causing cancer, and many many more "inaccurate" statements his firm claimed were fact... guess who paid him each time? Big Tobacco, Toyota, Chevron, etc... every single time real facts came out and disproved his claims

BOOM!

I know, I know poor Tom and poor Ted!

We, the people, are completely stupid and seem to give too much credence to either of those rich SOB's. Whatever happens, both of them will still be able to maintain their life style and their status. They certainly don't need your sympathy or your lawyering on their behalf.

You guys need to spend more time on your own family and worry about your own retirement than these media circus. It is all entertainment and be sure to treat it as such rather than thinking about affront to your manhood.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
When you take the emotion and your biased out it. You will find that Mr. Wells actually did a good job of stating his case.

As for more probable than not. This is not a criminal investigation and billions of dollars have changed hands in civil courts under more probable than not.

+1.

And the vast majority of the questions from the copied media article in the original post are either irrelevant or can be easily answered by simply reading the report. Something it seems almost no one who is defending Brady seems to have done, save for a few analysts on television who have a personal relationship with him stemming from being his teammate. And even those guys are not defending Brady as vigorously as they were a few days ago.

Here is another take from yahoo:

With anger still simmering, an appeal coming and Ted Wells holding a fiery teleconference Tuesday to attack Tom Brady's agent (professionalism straight out of the WWE), it's fair to say we are far from the end of deflate-gate.

A first-year attorney could lampoon Wells' report, and Brady has hired the prominent Jeffrey Kessler, so expect the four-game suspension to be halved on appeal. We'll see about the New England Patriots' lost draft picks and $1 million fine.

Still, at this point it's worth contemplating the totality of evidence, as Wells likes to write. And what's apparent is deflate-gate was more misdemeanor than felony, a molehill that commissioner Roger Goodell's office turned into a mountain via incompetence, vengeance or both.

Get 'cha popcorn ready! LOL!

Originally Posted By: Vikas

You guys need to spend more time on your own family and worry about your own retirement than these media circus. It is all entertainment and be sure to treat it as such rather than thinking about affront to your manhood.

Pathetic. My "family & retirement" is more than fine, thank you. I hardly need your advisement on that or anything else, but thanks anyway. BTW, if you resent the these few posts about the circus, ask yourself, how bad do the gazillion posts about oil viscosity or oil change intervals bother you?

You seem to be taking it too personally whether the statement was made by Tom or Ted or Vikas. You really shouldn't.

At least Vikas's statement was not directed at you. It was more or less a general comment but you have taken it extremely personally.

Once again you are completely overlooking the fact that this is pure entertainment and not a life and death situation. Why get so worked up over it?

Heck, somebody has started fundme website to collect the assessed fine and it has already accumulated hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Have we collectively lost all of our marbles??????

On times like this I wish I had gone to school to become a shrink rather than an engineer.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Here is another take from yahoo:

With anger still simmering, an appeal coming and Ted Wells holding a fiery teleconference Tuesday to attack Tom Brady's agent (professionalism straight out of the WWE), it's fair to say we are far from the end of deflate-gate.

A first-year attorney could lampoon Wells' report, and Brady has hired the prominent Jeffrey Kessler, so expect the four-game suspension to be halved on appeal. We'll see about the New England Patriots' lost draft picks and $1 million fine.

Still, at this point it's worth contemplating the totality of evidence, as Wells likes to write. And what's apparent is deflate-gate was more misdemeanor than felony, a molehill that commissioner Roger Goodell's office turned into a mountain via incompetence, vengeance or both.

Get 'cha popcorn ready! LOL!

LOLLOLLOL! How about read the report and conclude for yourself rather than rely on yahoo.com. Out of a 240 page report on margarine I could poke holes throughout that report also. Yet again all the NFL needed to do was establish more probable than not which is not hard to establish if indeed Brady committed an offense. LOL.

RUH ROH!

Reports are starting to surface that the COLTS, the team who is 0-6 against the Patriots, and have been knocked out of the last two playoffs by Brady and the Patriots, is being accused by a third team that the Colt ball boys had needles with them on the sidelines.

Not air pumps, JUST NEEDLES, that could be used to deflate a ball. Why would Colt ball boys carry JUST NEEDLES?

This is going to go very badly for the NFL before this is over with.

The media is starting to turn up the heat on Wells and he is starting to crack, any decent professional law firm does NOT start holding press conference to defend their sham of a report if the report was based on actual facts and science. They simply wouldnt respond but the media is starting blow holes in his faux investigation and ask question and for clarifiaction.

Goodell and his lackeys have done this non-sense before, and the NFL looks like it is run by a bunch of stooges.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

For Goodell, the NFL, and Wells, their nightmare is just about to begin. (more probably than not, LOL).

I quoted that over a month ago. Whelp, now Emperor Goodell and his stooge Wells is between a rock and a hard place. Wells has been subpoenaed and is about to be blown out of the water by AEI Report, while Goodell has to either A) revoke the suspension (and thereby admitting it was all a sham) OR face Brady, his Lawyers, and the devastating AEI Report in a court of law.

I hope Goodell goes down in FLAMES!
laugh.gif

I think kraft should sit Brady down for several games regardless of what happens. He needs the rest if he wants to play into his mid forty's. And I'd like to see what Flynn can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back