Dealership Tire Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my understanding, most of the large Toyota dealers participate in the national "Buy 3, get 4th for $1" Toyota tire program.

Out of curiosity, I called my usual Toyota dealer and asked them for a price on a 195/65-15 sized Michelin Primacy MXV4 for my Prius. They gave me this quote:

$126/tire * 3= $378
Fourth Tire = $1
Mounting and Road Force Balance= $20*4= $80
Wheel Weights and Disposal= $20

Total= $479 + tax. That price also includes two years of road hazard and free lifetime rotations.

Tire Rack wants $115/tire + $13/tire for shipping, so the price from the dealer is phenomenal. It is actually cheaper than any tire dealer.

Has anyone shopped their dealership on tire before considering an independent tire shop? I was quite surprised by how competitive their price was.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
But be cautious..

My usual dealership is fantastic, better than most independent shops I've been to.

I'd never let them rotate my tires. They love to use pneumatic impact wrenches on the lug nuts, and torque them to about 513 lb/ft. I'm so sick of that being done to my vehicles.

On my previous '95 Ford Ranger, I went to tne local Firestone and was surprised to find the prices were not only good, but cheaper than the Tire Rack, which is pretty low.

They also have good service. Been going back now for awhile. They have performance tires for small truck (Firehawk Indy 500s) which aren't made by most tire companies.

I recently put 4 new tires on a Lexus LX470, and the Lexus dealer's OTD price was lower than anything Net by $300+, and that included alignment

I just had 4 Michelin Harmony's put in my 2008 Sienna with this deal. $507 out the door. I saved well over $100 from the next best deal. They also were perfectly balanced with a Hunter Roadforce machine.

Sounds respectable. Of course, if I was looking, I'd get that quote in writing (or have DT call to confirm) and take it to DT for a price match. Be very surprised if they wouldn't match or beat that price. All mentioned after the sale services would be at least as good as dealer, likely better.

And, I'd rather deal with a dedicated tire dealer, especially when that dealer is DT, than an auto dealership.

Do you know if this is this good only for Toyota vehicles, or for any customer walking in the door?

The Toyota dealer in Fayetteville has been fantastic to work with (I've bought two cars from them), and I wouldn't hesitate to buy tires from them if the price is right.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Sounds respectable. Of course, if I was looking, I'd get that quote in writing (or have DT call to confirm) and take it to DT for a price match. Be very surprised if they wouldn't match or beat that price. All mentioned after the sale services would be at least as good as dealer, likely better.

And, I'd rather deal with a dedicated tire dealer, especially when that dealer is DT, than an auto dealership.
+1. DT is the only way to fly,if you've got one close by.

My local Ford Dealer sent me a Flier claiming they will match anyones price on new tires.

Brands are Goodyear, Conti's and Michelins.

They also offer a "The Works" oilchange for $26.95 (after $10 rebate)

FWIW

Pushing the tire programs are often a big deal to a MFR's dealer service/parts rep. It has been researched in the business that even the most loyal service customers often defect from the delaership when it comes time for new tires. Unfortunately some individual dealers get greedy and do not cooperate.

recently shopped for 18' A/T tires for my Silverado, went to a mom n pop shop and got a $1,300 tag for 4 Coopers installed with a new alignment, went to DT and told them what i was quoted, i got the same tires, same package w/warranty for $1,100 Sometimes it truly does pay to look down the road a bit.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
On my previous '95 Ford Ranger, I went to tne local Firestone and was surprised to find the prices were not only good, but cheaper than the Tire Rack, which is pretty low.

They also have good service. Been going back now for awhile. They have performance tires for small truck (Firehawk Indy 500s) which aren't made by most tire companies.

I am glad someone had a good experience with Firestone. I would rather gnaw my arm off at the elbow than go to Firestone. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Just not any of the 3 near where I've lived over the years.

I took my ranger there to have the spark plugs changed..
didnt feel like busting the hard to reach one off..
I told them in advance I wanted the used plugs back..

They gave me 5 plugs.
and never changed the hard one.
Got my money back and the manager apologized and had his "master tech" finish it.

Was kinda nervous but I could stare in at them from the window so I wasnt too paranoid.

Next time I changed them I took the wheel off and used 2 universals with my ratchet..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I took my ranger there to have the spark plugs changed..
didnt feel like busting the hard to reach one off..
I told them in advance I wanted the used plugs back..

They gave me 5 plugs.
and never changed the hard one.
Got my money back and the manager apologized and had his "master tech" finish it.

Was kinda nervous but I could stare in at them from the window so I wasnt too paranoid.

Next time I changed them I took the wheel off and used 2 universals with my ratchet..

The 4.0L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back