Dealership "scheduled maintenance" musings

I'll agree the injector cleaning isn't really ever needed, but the occasional throttle body cleaning / intake valve cleaning can do wonders on some of the direct injection cars, driven with a light foot i've seen carbon build up bad enough to cause misfires.

I guess you plan on keeping the vehicle long after the warranty, and you believe the M1 is going to prolong its life.

I wouldn't complain about the injector service FWIW, if he's really saved you that much. Although I'd be close to pulling a "Falling Down" scene had they did that to me. :LOL:

He's got 2 on order right now, one is sold, but the other isn't... yet. I'm going to try and do a bit of a test drive and thread on here if I can manage it.
Talking about the TRX, this video will probably make you sick. This guy gets a new $93K + TRX and jumps it and then proceeds to totally trash it in subsequent videos.

the truck is supposed to get lifetime free oil changes, providing one adheres to the dealership maintenance schedule.

Because of this, we provide the oil and filter and one of the dealership techs does the oil change,
Why are you providing the oil and filter? Kind of negates the free oil changes if you use your own oil and filter. Kind of like going to Red Lobster and ordering a $25 lobster dinner but you bring your own live lobster for them to cook.

Talking about the TRX, this video will probably make you sick. This guy gets a new $93K + TRX and jumps it and then proceeds to totally trash it in subsequent videos.

Yeah, there's another "character" on Youtube, I think it's whistlin' diesel? that does the same sort of crap, I watch VERY little youtube, primarily just music videos, for that reason. There's so much garbage, it's like Jackass meets the Kardashians in Big Brother; It's a race to peak stupid in an attempt to get clicks.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Why are you providing the oil and filter? Kind of negates the free oil changes if you use your own oil and filter. Kind of like going to Red Lobster and ordering a $25 lobster dinner but you bring your own live lobster for them to cook.

I'm just taking advantage of the free labour, I believe I pointed that out several times in the thread, and it documents the service history for convenience. I'm bringing my own oil and filter because they are better than the OEM filter and bulk 5w-20 it would get otherwise.

I'm just taking advantage of the free labour, I believe I pointed that out several times in the thread, and it documents the service history for convenience. I'm bringing my own oil and filter because they are better than the OEM filter and bulk 5w-20 it would get otherwise.
I don't understand? If you're documenting the service history for warranty reasons, why not use the oem parts? If an oil related engine problem comes up, they can say the aftermarket filter is defective. And are you saying the free oil changes for life they advertise to entice you in, is just for the labor?

Yeah, there's another "character" on Youtube, I think it's whistlin' diesel? that does the same sort of crap, I watch VERY little youtube, primarily just music videos, for that reason. There's so much garbage, it's like Jackass meets the Kardashians in Big Brother; It's a race to peak stupid in an attempt to get clicks.
Yeah, I had never heard of Whistlin diesel until this TRX video came out. I went to his channel to see what it was about and one of his latest videos was of him buying a SRT Challenger and doing stupid crap with it. Dented it up and roasted the rear tires until they blew.

Street Speed 717 never used to do this dumb stuff but I guess all of the money he makes off of YT has gone to his head.

I don't understand? If you're documenting the service history for warranty reasons, why not use the oem parts? If an oil related engine problem comes up, they can say the aftermarket filter is defective. And are you saying the free oil changes for life they advertise to entice you in, is just for the labor?

Because the parts I'm providing are better (Mobil 1 EP, FRAM Ultra).

They will provide, as long as you adhere to their (the dealer, not FCA) terms, free labor, oil and filter for the life of the vehicle. I'm only taking advantage of the labour part of it for convenience and so that it's recorded in the dealer's system for service history. It saves me doing it in the driveway.

I have absolutely ZERO concern regarding any actual coverage, the record of oil changes being done regularly will be more than enough and the dealer will absolutely be in my corner.

I didn't pay anything for the lifetime LOF service, just agreed to it when we bought the vehicle. It's not included on the SRT's I've owned, so I do them here in the driveway typically.

I just got new rotors and brake shoes for the front for $285. That brake service charge is ridiculous

Not really, it's based on the time taken, do you not get paid for your time? I have no problem paying the shop labour rate; I have zero issue with paying somebody for their time as long as they do quality work.

Because the parts I'm providing are better (Mobil 1 EP, FRAM Ultra).

They will provide, as long as you adhere to their (the dealer, not FCA) terms, free labor, oil and filter for the life of the vehicle. I
Do you think the oil they use, to adhere to new car warranty requirements, is something inferior? And personally, I'll use a Mopar filter over Fram anytime.

Do you at least take an empty jug and ask for the oil they would have used in your car as well as the filter?

I just got new rotors and brake shoes for the front for $285. That brake service charge is ridiculous

BTW, these are the rotors for my Jeep, you gotta pay to play:

Do you think the oil they use, to adhere to new car warranty requirements, is something inferior? And personally, I'll use a Mopar filter over Fram anytime.

Do you at least take an empty jug and ask for the oil they would have used in your car as well as the filter?

It's PYB 5w-20, so yes, I think it's a lesser product than M1 EP 0w-20, which is a majority PAO extended drain oil.

The FRAM Ultra is the most efficient readily available filter on the market, so yes, it's a better filter than the Mopar offering as well.

And no, what use would I have for jugs of PYB? I don't stock any conventional oil, for anything. My push mower gets M1 0w-40, my ATV gets M1 0w-40, the boat gets Delvac 1 5w-40...etc.

Reactions: JC1
Purchased my 2017 RAM 1500 brand new in October, 2017. In December I got an email about the "3 month required service". Pulled out my handy dandy owners manual, the one with the factory required maintenance schedule. Oh look! The first "required" service is not until 2 years/20K miles.

Of course, the dealer voided my "lifetime powertrain warranty!" because I didnt pay them for a 3 month checkup on my basically brand new vehicle.

That about says what most people need to know about required maintenance. And if the dealer had any hope of me actually paying them for any ACTUAL required maintenance, it disappeared after a whole 3 months.

Purchased my 2017 RAM 1500 brand new in October, 2017. In December I got an email about the "3 month required service". Pulled out my handy dandy owners manual, the one with the factory required maintenance schedule. Oh look! The first "required" service is not until 2 years/20K miles.

Of course, the dealer voided my "lifetime powertrain warranty!" because I didnt pay them for a 3 month checkup on my basically brand new vehicle.

That about says what most people need to know about required maintenance. And if the dealer had any hope of me actually paying them for any ACTUAL required maintenance, it disappeared after a whole 3 months.

Ridiculous. This is the first "service" other than oil changes, we were at 23,000 miles (roughly) and the vehicle was purchased in February, 2019, so it is two years now.

Ridiculous. This is the first "service" other than oil changes, we were at 23,000 miles (roughly) and the vehicle was purchased in February, 2019, so it is two years now.

The funny thing is they made such a huge deal about the "lifetime powertrain!" warranty they offered, while we were negotiating on a price. At some point I wanted to pay $200 less for the truck, they actually said "we can do that, but we cant give you the lifetime powertrain! warranty". So basically their "lifetime powertrain!" warranty is worth about $200. I think I would value it at even less, not even counting how much it would cost me in unnecessary "required" services to maintain its validity.

It actually soured me on the whole deal, but after searching 4 other states for something even close in features and price, I ended up at that dealer buying the truck. The salesman said I didn't look happy when I went to pick it up..."ya think?". Then the sales manager (who was giving me all the back and forth during negotiation) "wanted to stop by and personally thank me". If my wife wasn't there I would have had a nice in-person discussion with him about his dealership.

there is a difference between extended warranties from the manufacturer and from the dealership...I've had extended warranties from both...paid for some extended warranties from the dealership without any check ups required...the one time, free extended warranty (on a used vehicle) from a dealership required the work be done at their dealership and there were requirements...I wasn't told this was a dealership only extended warranty just that it had some extended warranty...I wasn't too concerned since I paid nothing for it and I believed that warranty was worth exactly what I paid for it...

Bill

Back