Dealership "scheduled maintenance" musings

So, my wife's truck is coming up on 2 years old. Unlike the SRT that doesn't get any free service, the truck is supposed to get lifetime free oil changes, providing one adheres to the dealership maintenance schedule.

Because of this, we provide the oil and filter and one of the dealership techs does the oil change, then documents it in their system for warranty and other things and there's no labour fee.

So, the other day, as the OLM was licking at 0% and the truck was clearly due for its oil change we dropped it off at the dealer with two 5L jugs of M1 EP 0w-20 and a FRAM Ultra on the passenger seat. It had been quite a stint since its last visit and apparently this ticked off several boxes on the dealership maintenance schedule.

The tech that did the work, who is an amazing guy, and the shop foreman, also performed these scheduled items, which were:
- New cabin air filter
- Full brake service (disassemble, clean, lubricate slide points, inspect wear)
- Fuel injector cleaning (Pressurized can)

That last item is the one that caught my eye on the invoice, as it was $130 for labour and the cleaner.

I'm perfectly fine with the cabin air filter ($22.50) and brake service ($262.99) but at 37,328Km, unless @Trav feels differently, I really don't see any justification for an injector cleaning. The vehicle is daily driven and gets Top Tier fuel. This seems excessive to me 🤷‍♂️

Maybe every 100,000Km or something, sure, but at this mileage and age it just seems silly.
It is excessive but it is what most of them charge. Also the honest dealership techs will tell you this. Unless you are NOT doing what you ARE doing.
Driving daily and using top tier fuel, or your vehicle is running bad YOU CAN PASS on it. I have done it a few times with different cars and really noticed zero change. Probably cause I so the same things you listed plus I use a high quality cleaner (won't mention to avoid starting riot with some folks here) 2-4 times a year.

Back