Dealership issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my mother just bought a pre owned 2005 hyundai elantra with 48,000km from a hyundai dealership.

The dealership sold her a warranty for 2 years covering everything but wear items. However they said that she MUST service it at the dealer or they will not honour it. I work at a Great Canadian Oil Change and know that we are warranty approved. I told the dealership that and they stand their ground. I refuse to let her take her car there as I have always done her oil changes, etc.

What should I do now?

Thanks,
Andrew

Is it a Dealership warranty or Hyundai Warranty?

If it's Hyundai warranty, then telling you that it must be serviced at the dealer is illegal.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
The dealership sold her a warranty for 2 years covering everything but wear items. However they said that she MUST service it at the dealer or they will not honour it. I work at a Great Canadian Oil Change and know that we are warranty approved. I told the dealership that and they stand their ground.

Canadian law differs from American on warranties.

However, if the contract is a dealer-supported "warranty", and it specifies that a condition of that warranty is dealer servicing, I would imagine that it is a quid-pro-quo arrangement (you get the warranty, we service the car).

The profit from servicing the car is a consideration in the tendering of the warranty.

Check to see if the warranty is "returnable" eg can weasel out of it after the fact. Some US service plans are.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Hi all, my mother just bought a pre owned 2005 hyundai elantra with 48,000km from a hyundai dealership.

The dealership sold her a warranty for 2 years covering everything but wear items. However they said that she MUST service it at the dealer or they will not honour it. I work at a Great Canadian Oil Change and know that we are warranty approved. I told the dealership that and they stand their ground. I refuse to let her take her car there as I have always done her oil changes, etc.

What should I do now?

Thanks,
Andrew

I don't know about Canada, but if you bought a dealer's warranty on a used car here in the states, you would have to follow the terms of the agreement. Read her copy of the warranty.

I suppose it is too late to ask about cancellation of this warranty and a refund. Then you could assume the warranty on her new used car yourself.

So they want to change the oil fro the next two years. What are hynudai requirements for oil changes? I don't think they can make you use the severe service schedule.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
So they want to change the oil fro the next two years. What are hynudai requirements for oil changes? I don't think they can make you use the severe service schedule.

What do they charge for an oil change? $30ish? My dealer was always $10 cheaper than a quick lube place.
Your cost is $8-10 for a change? maybe for saving $40 a year its not worth getting to upset over. The real issue is other "inspections" and maintainence, like brake cleaning and lube. Tire rotations, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back