Dealer put 0w-20 in 2UZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my 2007 V8 SE 4Runner to the dealer for service and they put in 0W-20 synthetic. I know that the 2UZ was never spec'd for 0w-20 and I only drove for 30 miles before I brought it back and had them put 5W-30 in it. Should I be on the lookout for anything? I have been religiously putting M1 5W-30 full synthetic but didnt have time to pick it up this time and the car was already at the dealer. I'm not 100% sure if they used synthetic 5w-30 or not.

Thanks in advance!

BTW car has 121,XXX miles on it.

Last edited:
your car was backspec'ed for 0w20
Toyota%20Oil%20Chart.JPG

Last edited:
Did you ask them to put 5W30 in? In the future if you can't DIY I think the best thing to do is specify exactly what you want them to use, and hope they use it. Or watch them to be sure.

wow I cant read I thought he said rav4 v6
it was backspec'ed for 5w20 both are 20weight when hot? whats the point of not backspecing to 0w20?

While it was never officially back speced to 0W-20, I think in the winter in Chicago you would have been fine for a single run of it until spring when you would have changed it yourself back to 5W-20 or 5W-30. No harm either way.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
While it was never officially back speced to 0W-20, I think in the winter in Chicago you would have been fine for a single run of it until spring when you would have changed it yourself back to 5W-20 or 5W-30. No harm either way.

Well it's certainly "official" in Canada for year round use so for a Chicago climate it's more than appropriate.

Thanks guys.

So should I be worried that there might be Dino oil in there now as opposed to my normal M1 synthetic?

Originally Posted By: 2UZ4Runner
"........ I brought it back and had them put 5W-30 in it. .........."

Are you really sure they changed out the 0w20 and put in 5w30...?

IMO....If the dealership used TGMO, (Toyota motor oil made by Mobil 1), I would have kept that oil in the sump.

In this case, if it was Toyota 0w-20 that was used.....I would be very happy for the gift from the dealership.

Toyota synthetic motor oil, although made by Mobil 1, has a much stronger add pack than the off the shelf Mobil 1 5w-30. The TGMO 0w-20 also has a much higher viscosity index than the off the shelf Mobil 1.

Just my two cents.........

You dumped the best 0w20 known to man and put in conventional 5w30? Sounds like a huge downgrade if you ask me.

I guess you got a free flush of the old oil if you drove it that short distance.

Originally Posted By: 1maniac
Originally Posted By: 2UZ4Runner
"........ I brought it back and had them put 5W-30 in it. .........."

Are you really sure they changed out the 0w20 and put in 5w30...?

Good point.
We also don't know the dealer's reaction to the OP's complaint which could be telling.

Originally Posted By: Rand
your car was backspec'ed for 0w20
Toyota%20Oil%20Chart.JPG

Maybe something I would notice but... that chart does not have the MR2 on it. Supra, sure, but not the MR2... way to go Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back